Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 248 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dharmanos

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: bes900xl /B
Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013, 10:24am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Twice I have had the screw that holds the shower screen to the group head shear off on its own. I have never adjusted it. Luckily, Williams-Sonoma has replaced it both times with out a fuss.

See photos click here

Has anyone else had this issue? What may be causing it? What can be done to prevent it?

Thanks in advance.
 View Profile Link to this post
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013, 11:09am

dharmanos Said:

Twice I have had the screw that holds the shower screen to the group head shear off on its own. I have never adjusted it. Luckily, Williams-Sonoma has replaced it both times with out a fuss.

See photos Click Here (plus.google.com)

Has anyone else had this issue? What may be causing it? What can be done to prevent it?

Thanks in advance.

Posted November 27, 2013 link

The link you provided brought me to a log-in screen so I didn't see your pix, BUT, to answer you question- NO. Holy crap NO! I take my group apart and soak it about once every two weeks and haven't had any issues. It doesn't have to go on super tight. Generally when I put it back together I tighten it after the machine has warmed up to temp but even there it's only hand tight. If you're having issues getting it loose maybe try it when it's hot? Be careful of course...
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dharmanos

Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013, 11:27am

Click here for the pics

This sheering has occurred without my intervention.  I suspect that the screw may be self tightening to the point of sheering from the repeated friction of the grinds against the screw when the portafilter is attached. Does that make sense?

Is taking the group apart a recommended practice? I have never done that with this machine.
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013, 12:09pm

dharmanos Said:

repeated friction of the grinds against the screw when the portafilter is attached. Does that make sense?

Posted November 27, 2013 link

Make sure that you aren't using so much coffee that the grinds touch the screen.  As Illy says "around 5-6mm" of headspace.
PrescottCR
PrescottCR

Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013, 9:23pm

That link worked trouble free!

The head space comment is a good one, with the Breville tamp you can see if you have the correct head space (and if you tamped level).

Wow, I can't imagine why that screw would be in that tight. That black ceramic part with the screw broken off is called the block (at least that's what I call it). The screw passes right threw it, so you most likely can still pull the block out after getting out the gasket.

The parts that I clean - basket, gasket, block, screw, screen, port-filter. While those are soaking in a cleaning solution I wipe down the group insides. Using a q-tip helps get in some of the more difficult areas.

So you're saying the screws came like that from Breville? That tight? Is it possible that you were driving it the wrong way since the screw is under the group? I'll be the first to admit that I've messed up the righty-righty/lefty-loosy thing on it because the screw is going up.

Hope you get that fixed soon...
bkpr
bkpr

Posted Sat Nov 30, 2013, 7:10am
Subject: Short shots all of a sudden

Hey everyone. I had a browse through a bunch of pages, and tried to search for this but couldn't find any info*

My 900XL suddenly began to deliver very short shots on the first button press, lasting 7 seconds or so, then subsequent presses (per coffee) it ran ~20 seconds. I thought maybe the pressure was too high and it cut out, but on the second coffee I checked and the level was 10bar give or take.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I reset the machine to no avail. I tested the water volume for both single and double shots (without coffee in the PF) and got~45ml for single, and ~60ml for double. I understand the 'correct' volumes should be 30ml and 60ml, but I assume this is espresso in the cup volumes, after a bunch of water has been left in the grinds?

I've now reset the shot timer to extract a right amount of espresso so things are ok**, but I was wondering why it suddenly stopped short.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I've had my machine about 14 months now.

Cheers
Bart

• Is there a way to search within a single thread?
    ** (didn't think to check the shot timer before I reset the machine or before I reset it myself, so I don't know whether it was just the shot timer which had reset itself.
PrescottCR
PrescottCR

Posted Sat Nov 30, 2013, 3:14pm
Subject: Re: Short shots all of a sudden

There have been issues with the programmed button times. I'm not sure if there is a real fix for you but hopefully someone will chime in.

While some use the programmed buttons I think you will find that most on this thread use the manual button.
B747VET

Espresso: BES900XL/B
Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 11:15am

Very happy with the /B after 9 months.  Had the previous /A model for 6 months before a seal problem prompted Breville to replace it with the /B.

Questions for the experts:

- I flush the head for about 4 seconds after every pull and then wipe it clean.  I use a Q tip swab weekly to clean around the crevices of the group head.  I see that some of you are disassembling the group head and soaking it in cleanser fairly frequently.  Should I really be doing that?

- The pucks are still sticking much less on the /B and it seems that using the Breville tamper as a guide seems to help.  Instead of loading by weight, I have started loading by volume.  Just enough so that the shiny portion of the tamper almost goes flush with a very light tamp which I finish with my Zebra tamper.  This does not result in a double tamp.

- I've set it so that every double shot results in about two ounces and takes about 30 seconds @ 9 bar.  I use Lavazza Super Crema and these techniques are yielding the most consistently delicious pulls I've ever enjoyed on any machine.  Am I doing anything incorrectly?

In other words, what can I do better in terms of pulling great espresso and caring for the machine?

Thanks...
dharmanos

Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 11:43am

Thanks for the suggestions. I never touched the screw. I never took the group apart. One morning I took off the port-a-filter and everything just fell down.

I'll be extra careful about not overfilling the basket.

After pulling a shot is it typical to see an imprint of the shower screen on the puck? Or is this a sign of overfilling?
PrescottCR
PrescottCR

Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 2:19pm

Okay, if you never touched the screw that's hardly your fault! There's no amount of espresso you can load into that basket to cause the screw to break.

Yes, AFTER you pull the shot you will see the imprint of the screen as the puck expands when it gets wet.

When you put in a dry puck, try taking it out and you should NOT see the screen imprint or and disruption of the puck. The Breville tamp already helps you there, but that's another way of checking. If your PF goes doesn't tighten until way past where it should (because of wear) then there may be less space for your puck.
showing page 248 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.412730932236)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+