Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 137 of 257 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Contrabass_Bry
Contrabass_Bry
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 9:17am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Well, no joy in Mudville...

I was not only shipped the wrong unit (BES830XL), but the thing was re-package (poorly, I might add) and severly damaged. The entire steam/water control knob was completely missing.

Now I have a bag each of Barefoot Hiaku and Redcab languishing on my counter 3 days post roast...

Hopefully this will get rectified quickly.

Back to topic.
 View Profile Link to this post
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:10am

cuznvin Said:

Did anyone call Breville to ask with the plastic insert is for?  I am looking into purchasing this machine or some other dual boilers. Do the owners of this machine find the steaming power adequate? Are you able to prepare 4 or 5 lattes in a row without issue?? Would you buy this machine again?

Posted January 10, 2013 link

It is my understanding that the plastic insert was supposed to be useful with the double-walled baskets, that having been said, I just got mine about 6 weeks ago and there is no insert in mine. So I hope it's a moot point now. (OBTW I just got it from ABT in Chicago so I guess they have new units in stock w/o the baskets ymmv).

I have never done more than two pitchers in a row so I don't know how it might fare doing 4-5 in a row. My gut reaction is that if you started with a full resevoir you should be good. I used to be able to do it with an old "bottom feeder" Avanti single boiler (that was mostly just after a lot of practice lol). That took some real organization (lmao)

And would I buy it again? So far, YES! I am a bit concerned with the "failures" that some members are experiencing, but, seemingly Breville is trying to stay on top of them.

I went with the BDB because it had a very good mix of real features at a reasonable price point. And it makes great espresso! The components look to be readily available so long term outlook seems good to me.

JM2óW

Dave

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:12am

Contrabass_Bry Said:

Well, no joy in Mudville...

I was not only shipped the wrong unit (BES830XL), but the thing was re-package (poorly, I might add) and severly damaged. The entire steam/water control knob was completely missing.

Now I have a bag each of Barefoot Hiaku and Redcab languishing on my counter 3 days post roast...

Hopefully this will get rectified quickly.

Back to topic.

Yooouch! Here's hoping that you get it "rectified" soon!!! Good luck.

(edited to fix quote)

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 11:38am

cuznvin Said:

Did anyone call Breville to ask with the plastic insert is for?  I am looking into purchasing this machine or some other dual boilers. Do the owners of this machine find the steaming power adequate? Are you able to prepare 4 or 5 lattes in a row without issue?? Would you buy this machine again?

No idea why they had the insert, no idea why folks recommend to remove it.  But I just got my machine replaced for a different issue and the new PF does not include the insert so I guess it didn't need to be there in the first place.

I have no problem making 3-4 latte's in a row but then I'm slow, measuring the beans for each dose, etc.  Steam power has been adequate but since this is my first "real" machine, I don't have much to compare it to.  And yes, I'd buy this machine again without giving it a second thought.  Breville has been great on the support side and I'm very happy with the drinks I've been able to make.

Michael
Contrabass_Bry
Contrabass_Bry

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 3:48pm

I'd sure like to know where Mr. Prince's full review of this unit went. It was posted around Dec. 23rd, but it linked to an older review. There was even a Topic Header for it in the "Detailed Review" thread. Someone dropped a note that the link was incorrect and *POOF*, no more review on the home page and removed from the review thread.

A little snooping on his profile page does show that it's "somewhere" in there, just not posted:

Contrabass_Bry: DualBoilerReview.jpg
(Click for larger image)
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 3:59pm

dagoat Said:

Quoting Nick:
"After the use of 10 months since it was new, I found I must grind the beans finer to maintain 9 bar brewing pressure but all other things look normal and fine. I consistently descale the boilers and steam boiler's safety valve, so the boilers and the valve are all in very good conditions. Also, the o-rings used in the hoses connections are renewed if needed."

Posted January 6, 2013 link

I've been having to grind my beans finer too. It doesn't make sense, however, to claim that a finer grind would compensate for a leaky solenoid. If anything, loss of brew pressure would require you to go the other way and loosen the grind.

So I tried a different method: I cleaned and adjusted by Vario grinder for the first time in several months. Voila, I can now move the left hand grind lever down, get a longer pull, and get a better shot.

Every brewing problem doesn't necessarily relate to the espresso machine.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 4:02pm

michaelgo Said:

No idea why they had the insert, no idea why folks recommend to remove it.

The insert allows a shorter warm-up time by keeping a cold PF from chilling the shot. The naked PF does this much better. Removing the insert is good for general cleanliness and better shots when the PF is fully warmed up.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 5:45pm

BubbaDude Said:

The insert allows a shorter warm-up time by keeping a cold PF from chilling the shot. The naked PF does this much better. Removing the insert is good for general cleanliness and better shots when the PF is fully warmed up.

See? it was worth getting out of bed today since I learned something.  Thanks Bubba, you've always got a perfectly sound explanation.  Doesn't mean it's right, but it is sound. LOL

I guess since I have my machine on a timer and keep the PF on top, it's nice and warm by the time I'm ready to use it.  But I see the point of not having the results cooled on the way to the cup.

Michael
des16

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 6:58pm

I have just purchased a Vario-W. I am interested in what weight setting, and grind setting, you use of the vario for a double shot with the standard Breville porta-filter. I know that this will vary by the coffee, but, I am curious as to the range of settings as a point of departure. Also, how did you decide what the optimal setting was. Presumably based on some combination of time and pressure, but, I'm not quite sure how to approach the process. Thanks.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 7:28pm

des16 Said:

I have just purchased a Vario-W. I am interested in what weight setting, and grind setting, you use of the vario for a double shot with the standard Breville porta-filter. I know that this will vary by the coffee, but, I am curious as to the range of settings as a point of departure. Also, how did you decide what the optimal setting was. Presumably based on some combination of time and pressure, but, I'm not quite sure how to approach the process. Thanks.

Start with 19g, the right lever all the way to the top and the left lever 75% of the way to the top and when work the left lever up or down to get a 36g shot in 35 seconds on the timer. Then adjust to taste, where raising the lever or increasing the shot volume is more toward the bitter side and going the other way is more toward the sour side. In the end, the weight should remain constant and you'll adjust the other factors to get the most good stuff out of the beans.

showing page 137 of 257 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.483663082123)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+