Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Trying to get a Faema Family to make a cuppa
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to get a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
aytchkay

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Ms Silvia & Faema...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky doserless &...
Roaster: I Roast 2
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 6:26pm
Subject: Trying to get a Faema Family to make a cuppa

I was just given a Version 1 Faema Family (brass boiler, round knob for steam). It seems that these machines have had some difficulties with priming - that is, drawing water from the tank.
My first time trying it was frustrating; It heated up fine and I was able to get water and steam from the wand. But I could not get water to flow thru the grouphead! When I press the 'coffee' button I hear the overpressure solenoid click (I believe that's what I hear) but then nothing.  I'm worried about breaking the pump so I don't leave it on for long.
I searched the forum for this problem and I did find one that said to blow and suck water to the supply hose by mouth and I did get water to flow once. Not again.
Does any one have any ideas of where to start to trouble shoot?  I'm thinking one check is the coffee temp stat which may have overheated due to turning on the coffee switch too many times. Am I thinking correctly?  What else should I check?

I'm capable of taking it apart as I restored an original Silvia last year which needed a lot of work - but there is a lot of info on the Silvia, not much on the Faema Family.

I look forward to some help..  thanks......

aytchkay: IMG_0195.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Howard - chicago and accord, NY
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 7:13pm
Subject: Re: Trying to get a Faema Family to make a cuppa

Maybe it needs to be cleaned and descaled.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffee_no_sugar

Espresso: pavoni pub, brasilia club
Grinder: mazzer sj, mdf, infinity
Drip: melitta clarity
Roaster: popcorn
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 8:40pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

Maybe it needs to be cleaned and descaled.

Posted November 23, 2012 link

Check out the coffeesnobs.com.au because they have active users of the Faema Family on their boards.

I don't have a Faema Family but I have machines that are troublesome to prime. My technique is to take the intake water tubing out of the water tank and hold it vertically.  I use a plastic measuring cup with a nice spout to fill the intake tube.  I pulse the water pump until the pump starts pumping.  I fill the tube again and place the end into the water tank.

According to tests on coffeesnobs, a Faema Family with a pid can be made into a very temperature stable machine.
aytchkay

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 7:48am

In order to descale, doesn't the pump have to push the descaling water thru the grouphead?

Keurig

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 8:13am

^Yeah it does.
aytchkay

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 11:27am

That's my problem...the pump won't pump! thru the grouphead...

Anyone have a troubleshooting list of tests to determine the problem?  I guess I'll be taking this baby apart!

There's bound to be a list of steps to determine the culprit which would be for any single boiler espresso machine...I'll try another search thru this forum.

any comments out there?  Also, does anyone have a source for parts for this machine? I found a site in Australia that does, but electrical parts are for 220v.....

SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 8:01pm

If you're hearing the brew solenoid click but not hearing the vibration pump running with the 4th button pressed, then either your pump is dead or not getting any power.  If you push the third button)Water button) you should also hear the pump, but not the clicking of the brew solenoid.
Partswise, any vibration pump in the 50-60 watt range with the same threading on the outlet will work. They are common to thousands of machines of this sort. If you buy the pump from Faema in Toronto Canada, they'll charge you $120 or something.  But any espresso parts place can give you an equal pump and probably for less.
Troubleshootingwise, apart for listening to the pump with the 4th and then the 3rd buttons pressed, Don't leave it turned on for very long while checking things. If the pump has been dead for a while and the boiler is dry, the element will burn out if overheated without water.
SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 8:28pm

Oh! Also, that machine is built with a diode in the pump wiring to halfstroke the pump speed. Therefore if the pump that is in it also has a diode to halfstroke itself, the pump won't run at all if the wores are connected backward. If you test it with a voltmeter and see that it does have power but still doesn't vibrate, try reversing the wires to the pump before replacing the pump.  But if it is recieving 120 volts and not running with the wires connected in either direction, then the pump needs to be replaced.
Replacing the pump is very simple.
Remove 2 small allen screws(3mm) under the top lip of the water-reservoir, Remove 2 large allen screws(6mm) from the bottom of the machine at the back. Leave the bottom screws closer to the front in place so the machine will still stand up.
Now the back will pull up and away from the machine.  You'll see the pump hanging at the bottom of the steel plate that everything mounts to, but for ease, you'll want to unbolt that plate, too...  First loosen the two flat-head screws that are holding your powercord to the base of the machine so that the whole works can be removed once the plate is unbolted.
Now remove the 4 allen bolts(4mm) closest to each corner of the steel mounting plate. Only those 4, others are holding parts in place.
Lastly, remove the steam-knob, then the silver allenhead bolt holding the chrome crescent behind your brew group.
The plate with everything mounted to it will pull away from the machine, be careful getting the steam wand up through the opening, you'll want it pointed forward-ish.
There you have access to the whole works.  Remove the wires from the pump. Pull the inlet hose off of the pump. Unscrew the pump outlet from the relief valve.(I believe the relief valve is like a T-fitting screwed right into the tip of the pump, but I might be confusing different machines.)
Now just go in reverse, putting the new pump back in and reassembling the machine. Good luck.
You will soon find that group gaskets are nearly impossible to get ahold of for those discontinued machines. If you're into working on your machine, you might want to practice shaving the 8mm commercial gaskets down to 6mm for the Family.
aytchkay

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:30pm

Thanks so much SStones....Your post is very detailed...I can accomplish the tasks...
I'm looking forward to solving the Family issues...

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to get a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.38365483284)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+