Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need help in deciding between the Gaggia classic and the Saeco Via Venezia
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
BrookNYC

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 1:53pm
Subject: Need help in deciding between the Gaggia classic and the Saeco Via Venezia

This will be my first espresso machine. I am a complete novice and would like to start out simple at first. My one must have is that it must have a pressurized portafilter because my husband will NOT even attempt to tamp. I would also like to stay under $500. I plan on using espresso grinds until I can buy a good grinder. Both my husband and I prefer lattes if that makes a difference when choosing a machine. I would prefer a model that will not break down within the first 3 years.

After tons of research I narrowed my list  down between the Saeco Via Venezia and the Gaggia classic. Which one is best in your opinion?
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 2:12pm
Subject: Re: Need help in deciding between the Gaggia classic and the Saeco Via Venezia

I would probably get the gaggia over the saeco new.  But really if I were in your shoes, I would look for a used saeco for 80-100 on craigslist.  Then spend the rest of the money on a good grinder.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BrookNYC

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 2:20pm
Subject: Re: Need help in deciding between the Gaggia classic and the Saeco Via Venezia

I rather buy new because I would like to get a warranty. I am not handy and would prefer to just send it off to be fixed. I am purchasing from Amazon since they have a 3 year warranty for $39.99. If I stick to making espressos at home, I will buy a grinder in another 6mo. First I need to save some money. I visit Starbucks at least 2x a day and so does my husband. We need something in this house ASAP.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 2:33pm

The grinder is more important to the set up than you realize. Considering your situation I suggest a nice grinder and a drip set up or moka pot.

Coffeenoobie

BrookNYC

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 2:37pm

If I have to buy a grinder right away I can. How much for a decent grinder?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 2:52pm

My husband will not touch the machine either. That is fine, I just do it for him.  

"New to Coffee"

See what is shown in the photo I think that might be a good way to start with a good grinder.  Then get great beans.  Then get a good machine.  You probably don't have a good espresso show room around you, but if you can get to one or have a friend with a machine it would help you a lot to get some hands on.  There might even be other Coffeegeeks in your area willing to give you a tour of their machines.

Amazon Grinders:
Hario-MSS-1B-Mini-Coffee-Grinder - Cheapest but hand powered
Baratza Preciso
Baratza Vario
Baratza Vario W (my fav)

Coffeenoobie

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 2:54pm

Steaming milk for 2 drinks on any Single boiler machine will take a while.  Be sure to read

"How to Buy an Espresso Machine"

"First machine - 300-400$"
"For $200-$300 price range is the Gaggia Espresso Pure the best choice?"
"Decent Espresso Machines for $300"

Coffeenoobie

BrookNYC

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 4:27pm

Thanks I read all the threads. I will buy a Rancilio Rocky grinder and I am leaning more towards the Saeco Via Venezia simply because I am a little concerned with how few retailers sell the Gaggia. WLL still sells the Gaggia but without an extended warranty which leaves me with having to purchase it from Amazon. I can order the Via Venizia and the Grinder from SCG who I think will give me more personalized service plus I can still get an extended warranty. Please let me know if this is a good decision.

I wonder if anyone knows why SCG doesn't sell Gaggia?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 4:33pm

That would be a nice starter set up.  My guess is that seattlecoffeegear is not a gaggia vendor.  Gaggia classic has a better rep than the saeco but really for the price the saeco is not a bad starter machine.  If you upgrade the machine you will not be happy with the rocky for long.  But for now it is fine.

I have not bought anything from SCG but they seem nice in person and the videos they do are really helpful.

Coffeenoobie

BrookNYC

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 7:31pm

I hope to be ok with the Ranchillo Rocky grinder because I plan on upgrading to the Silvia in a year or so if I can convince my husband to tamp at that time. I can't make an espresso for him because he leaves for work around 5am and I don't get up until 6am to get my kids ready for school and I am not waking up an hour earlier just to make his drink.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.449719905853)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+