Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Decisions, decisions…. Need help in deciding between S-Venezia,Livieta & lelit
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Decisions,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
lilia
lilia
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cuadra II
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 8:37am
Subject: Decisions, decisions…. Need help in deciding between S-Venezia,Livieta & lelit

Hello everyone,

I have been using the Bialetti Moka Express for more than 30 years. I am ready to upgrade with a real espresso machine. I don't know much about them or how to choose one. After some research I found that the ones listed below could be a good choice for beginners. I want a reliable machine able to make a decent good shot. Also, want something that looks nice on my counter.
What kind of coffee drinks do I prefer? Strong cappuccino or latte
2 cups per session and 4 per day
My budget of $1000 includes the grinderfor the Baratza Preciso Burr Grinder
Please help me out to pick the right one:
    Saeco Via Venezia Espresso Machine
    Pasquini Livietta T2 Espresso Machine
    Lelit PL41EMV2
Thanks
Lilia
 View Profile Link to this post
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 9:07am
Subject: Re: Decisions, decisions….  lelit

Hello,

I have a lelit espresso and grinder but was unfamiliar with the particular machine you alluded to. Looking on the web I found it on a Canadian site which indicated that they were unable to ship to the US. I see that you are in Texas so unless the state withdraws from the US my guess is you will have to make do with one that is imported to below our common border. In that context I would suggest you consider the deal that is being offered by 1st-line.com. $599 gets you both the grinder and the espresso machine.

I have been happy with my set-up and have used both daily for about three years. About the other two machines I claim no knowledge whatsover. I have no commercial association with 1st-line.  I did buy my set- up from them and was satisfied.

Good luck with your search.
mgwolf

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium 1, Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama, Sunbeam C50
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Chemex
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 1:43pm
Subject: Re: Decisions, decisions….  lelit

Hi Lilia,
Note that I have no actual experience with any of the 3 machines you mentioned, but I read a lot.  You might step back and rephrase your question as "What can I buy for $1000 that will give me a good bang for my buck?"  You will find any number of threads here and on Home Barista with answers to this frequent question.  

The Saeco is a $300 machine with a pressurized portafilter and you could do much better with your budget.  The Livietta, by virtually all accounts, is a VERY trouble-prone machine.  The old Livietta's were made by Olympia and were identical to the Maximatic and are very good machines.  There were some on ebay recently.  A used Olympia/Pasquini livietta in good shape would be an excellent machine (not sure if that will be within your budget).  The LeLit's have a good rep for an entry level "for real" machine.  Do you already own the grinder?  Or might you need one.  You can usually get a better price with dealers for a combo.

If you like milk drinks, you may be unhappy with the LeLit or the Saeco which are both single boiler machines and you must put them into steam mode (higher heat) once you've drawn your espresso and then wait a few minutes before you can steam the milk.  If you want to make a second drink at the same time, you need to let it cool down for 5-10 (?) min before you can draw espresso again.  The Liviettas are HX (heat exchanger) machines and you can steam on them while you make espresso.  You might look on the Buy/Sell forum here which frequently have used machines (and grinders) in good shape that would fit the bill for you.
mgwolf

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium 1, Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama, Sunbeam C50
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Chemex
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 1:49pm
Subject: Re: Decisions, decisions…. Need help in deciding

Just  noticed that 1st Line has the Ponte Vecchio lever machine on sale for $900 (200 off).  These steam well and make great espresso (not just OK).  If you could stretch your budget slightly you could buy a grinder too.  With these levers, you can steam at the same time as you pull a shot or immediately thereafter.  They are simple, need very little maintenance, and last a very long time.  I have a lever and they're not really that hard to get a good shot out of.  And this machine has a small footprint for your counter.
lilia
lilia

Espresso: Cuadra II
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 9:48pm
Subject: Re: Decisions, decisions…. Need help in deciding

Thank you all for your advice.

mgwolf,
I didn't buy the grinder yet.Wondering if the Baratza Virtuoso (w/ New Precise Burrs-586) is a good Grinder?. Just found a great deal  @ jlhufford.com

I checked out @ 1st Line  and @ creative cookware for the Ponte Vecchio machines. They are very nice looking machines!. I like the Pavoni
ESC8..
What do you think about la Pavone lusso PL-16?.
Thanks, Lilia
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 10:18pm
Subject: Decisions, decisions…. Need help in deciding between S-Venezia,Livieta & lelit

I would get the grinder one up from the Virtuoso, the one called precisio or next one Vario.   The steps on the Virtuoso are just too wide.  Believe me I know.  I got a used Oscar for under 500 and it is an entry level HX.  I like the idea of the lever machine now that I know what I am doing.  But Oscar is a deal if you can find one.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Decisions,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.39545416832)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+