Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Moving a silvia from USA to UK
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Moving a silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
tiredboy

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:07pm
Subject: Moving a silvia from USA to UK

I have a rancilio silvia I purchased in the USA a couple of years ago that is working fine but I may be moving back to the UK.  I had intended on getting a transformer (I have a couple that work either way that I used to power UK items in USA) or seeing if there was a way I could change the power supply as USA is 110V/60Hz but UK is 240V/50Hz   but I have been told that the Hz would be a problem.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to use my beloved silvia in the UK with a transformer, or better still whether I (or an electrician friend) can make some alterations internally and rewire it with a UK plug?
 View Profile Link to this post
RVDave

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:23pm
Subject: Re: Moving a silvia from USA to UK

It's not the voltage that is the primary concern, it's the wattage.  I imagine a Silvia is 1000-1200 watts.  Get a voltage adaptor suited for 1500 watts or more and don't mess with the insides.  It's probably not worth the cost and parts to have someone do it, and if you don't know how I certainly wouldn't attempt it.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 2:24pm

Anything can be done, the question is do you want to spend the money to do it?

A step down transformer will work it no problem if it is big enough to handle the power reuqired.

To rewire, you would need to change the pump (115 only installed in U.S.) and the heater element along with lights and possibly the switches if they are not 220 v rated. Most switches are both but you need to look at the switch to see what was installed.

In most cases though, it is less expensive and less bother to just sell it here and buy a new or used machine in the UK. The same is true for the grinder and anything else you have that is 110 v.

It sounds to me like this is a good time to upgrade out of a SBDU machine.

YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 2:53pm

I moved in the opposite direction with my Gaggia Classic.  The cost of converting the pump and solenoids (the dual heaters on a Classic can be rewired for 110 or 230V)  was about double that of an appropriate voltage convertor ($85 for a 2kW step up/down).  In your case the heater also needs to be replaced as the Silvia's heater is a single element.  Remember that you'll need to run the grinder as well, and the cost of espresso appropriate grinders in the UK is (was?) much more than the US (I think $1= 1 for the Baratza ones, for example).

It's probably better to buy the transformer on arrival in the UK, they're heavy and you'll probably be shipping your machine anyway.  If you do buy another machine, and don't want to upgrade beyond SBDU (moving is expensive after all) then the Gaggia Classics are much easier and cheaper to get hold of secondhand in the UK than Silvias.
tiredboy

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 3:16pm

Thanks all.  It looks like the "modifications" would be more cost and hassle than they are worth.  In case anyone else comes across this thread with the same problem I have been told elsewhere that I would need to replace the boiler, group solenoid valve, and pump. The switches and thermostats are already rated to handle 220V.

I think I'll go the transformer route.  As it is recommended to get one that is double the wattage of the appliance it is used on I have been told that for the Silvia with the heater, pump, and valves it is around 1000W so I would want a transformer rated for at least 2000watts.  It looks like I'll be able to get a 2000w for about 120 pounds and this would also allow me to use some of my other equipment also (and its only about 5 pounds more than the 1500W model).

As for grinder, it may be the excuse to replace my cheaper one with something better!!
Gkory

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 9:11am

I am in the same boat as you only opposite.  I have a European Silvia that I am currently refurbishing and am looking to trade it for a US Silvia when complete.  The step up transformers are bulking and expensive.  Let me know if you are interested.

Also, grinder-wise, go with the Baratza Virtuoso Preciso:
Click Here (www.baratza.com)

I could not be happier with mine.
stefano65
stefano65
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 9:46am

Let's do not forget the solenoid coil as well
recap

on a silvia the switches are rated 250v so no problem

to be replaced are:
HE
pump
Solenoid Valve Coil
and the power main light is also rated 120v for the US version so it will need to be changed as well
then the obvious plug

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mmlugar

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 11:36am

Sounds fairly messy.  Would be nice if the world would get on one power standard!  And measurement system, for that matter.
Gkory

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 9:02am

Stefano, do you carry any EU parts?  I'd like to replace some of the switches on my machine I am refurbishing.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Moving a silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.373310089111)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+