Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Thoughts on new machine options
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Thoughts on new...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
kschueleraugsburg
kschueleraugsburg
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 11:08am
Subject: Re: Thoughts on new machine options

Coffeenoobie Said:

I would kill for an Appia.

Posted November 28, 2012 link

I know, right? I did several workshops and trainings and got certified. Most of the training was conducted on 2 and 3 group Aurelias, OMG, what a phantastic machine! The Appia might be as close as I can get at home.
 View Profile Link to this post
slofox

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 11:15am

New member here.

I am debating my next espresso machine purchase (they are expensive here).

I am looking at an Isomac machine (Viper. It's the best I can afford.) and would like to know how the reliability of this brand is stacking up these days. There seem to be plenty of negative reviews out there but quite a few of them are several years old.

Any updates on current thinking?

Thanks
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 11:52am

kschueleraugsburg Said:

I know, right? I did several workshops and trainings and got certified. Most of the training was conducted on 2 and 3 group Aurelias, OMG, what a phantastic machine! The Appia might be as close as I can get at home.

I used both when I did my training. And yes, I liked them very much.  But if I win the lotto today I am getting a  LONDINIUM I.  That reminds me I need go get the tickets.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:23pm

kschueleraugsburg Said:

How long (time) can you go until the 4 gal. jug is filled up? I agree this sounds like a doable alternative. The return line drain was always a concern for me. A kitchen at home isn't designed to purpose as a cafe counter would be (now, if I had my way ...), and routing a decent supply and drain line isn't that simple.

Of course it will depend on your use but my use is 4 double shots and steaming 8 oz of milk every morning 7 days a week. I flush after every pull to clear spent grounds from the screen and I do my cooling flush into my cup to warm the cup then dump into the sink when ready to make coffee. In my use pattern, I get about 3 weeks between draining the bottle. A few teaspoons or so of household bleach keeps any nasty things from growing in the bottle and causing a foul smell.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
JPF

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 6:41am

slofox Said:

New member here.

I am debating my next espresso machine purchase (they are expensive here).

I am looking at an Isomac machine (Viper. It's the best I can afford.) and would like to know how the reliability of this brand is stacking up these days. There seem to be plenty of negative reviews out there but quite a few of them are several years old.

Any updates on current thinking?

Thanks

There isn't much support of Isomac in the states, so I don't know if you'll get much of a response here, although I see reviews as recently as two years ago saying stay away from the cheaper Isomacs.  A reasonable entry level machine here is the Le'Lit PL041, which looks to be in your price range.  You'll need an espresso capable grinder and the Le'lit grinder is loud and slow, but capable.  If you don't have a grinder, it's usually offered as a package deal.

Living the caffeinated life.
brianh
brianh

Espresso: Rancilio Sylvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 8:06am

Your first 2 machines are the same as on my list currently, but the third on mine is the Izzo Alex Duetto 3.0. This is a good thread to learn from. For me, in my current kitchen putting in water lines would be difficult, but we're planning on moving in the future and maybe then. For that reason, a machine that can be converted from tank to tankless is appealing.
eelpout

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 1:41am

I plan on following this thread too since I'm looking at some of the machines on this list. The Nuova Simonelli though I'm looking at is the Musica, direct connect. Which for some reason, even though it only lists for $250 US more than the base version on the NS official price list, often goes for *$700* more in actual retail. I'm guessing demand might have something to do with that so the distributor doesn't give much of a break on it.
kschueleraugsburg
kschueleraugsburg

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:47pm

eelpout Said:

I plan on following this thread too since I'm looking at some of the machines on this list. The Nuova Simonelli though I'm looking at is the Musica, direct connect. Which for some reason, even though it only lists for $250 US more than the base version on the NS official price list, often goes for *$700* more in actual retail. I'm guessing demand might have something to do with that so the distributor doesn't give much of a break on it.

Posted November 30, 2012 link

Something you may want to consider: the Musica (from what I recall) has a vibration pump, and is noisy. That is something that bugged me to no end on my Vibiemme, too. The Rocket with rotary pump seems to be whisper quiet, as is the Appia. To my ears, the new Vibiemme with rotary is also much noisier compared to the other two.

Leaning towards he Rocket for now, because of option to use as tank machine with option to direct plumb.
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Dec 1, 2012, 2:37am

Hey Noobie, I went to my favorite coffee shop in Vancouver last weekend and they had a 3 group Aurelia II with a Mythos Plus. The barista was getting very nervous at how longingly I was drooling over their setup.

OP, I don't think you have to worry too much about the length of he hose. Keep in mind it's already making quite a long journey from the main on your street to the faucet. Ten extra feet or more won't make much of a difference.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Dec 1, 2012, 11:29am

I can relate, I drool over lots of the nice machines we have in this area. I make baristas nervous when I move around the counter so I can watch the pull.  I freak them out by making them let me taste my pull before they add the milk.  My husband pretends he doesn't know me and stands very far away from me while I am ordering.  I have no idea why he does that....

I don't mind the vibe pump that much.  I would rather have an appia but really would not turn down Musica.  I have had the one model down from Musica for almost exactly one year and I found it to be a great machine.  Sturdy, reliable and built like a tank.  That is a very good family to be from.  I think I could get many good years out of this machine with very little problems and everything will be pretty easy to fix.

The most important thing is to get value for you money and enjoy what you have.  Lusting after the next upgrade right away means to me you did not do something right.  Either you did not spend enough time thinking about your choice or you don't appreciate what you have.  I appreciate Oscar every morning for giving me easy trouble free espresso with no sink shots once I dial the grind in.  I am blowing the doors off coffee shops around me and I am very happy every morning with a nice espresso.  And I don't think I could beat the price for the value and service I am getting out of him.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Thoughts on new...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.473162174225)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+