Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Anita owners unite!
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Anita owners...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Torps
Torps
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Macap M4
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Bodum FP
Roaster: popcorn
Posted Thu Nov 17, 2005, 8:20pm
Subject: Anita owners unite!

Feeler for potential new anita buyer..  For those who own the Anita or Andreja, what are your own methods and step by step preps for getting the most out of your shots?  What about timings for the cooling flush?  I've read all the articles on h-b.com, I'm trying to get a good starting point of what it takes to make good espresso with either machine.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
John_Bigboote
John_Bigboote
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2005, 8:57am
Subject: Re: Anita owners unite!

I will try to big as precise as possible and go in order of steps:

- I have my Anita on a digital timer to come on an hour before I use it during the week and I let it heat up for 45 minutes on the weekends before use.

- I run about 2 ounces of water through the portafilter into the cup I will be using for the espresso shot

- I take the portafilter out and wipe it

- I generally put a cup or pitcher under the grouphead to run my flush (you can flush into the drip tray, since it has a large capacity)

- I begin grinding into the portafilter, when it is half-way full (double-shot dose), I begin the cooling flush

- Finish dosing portafilter (15 grams that I learned by weighing on a digital scale)

- Tamp (about 30 lbs- used a scale to learn the pressure)

- Stop cooling flush at about 24 seconds ( I do a slow 24 count)

- Dump water out of cup and pitcher (cooling flush water), lock in portafilter and place cup

- Flip lever to start water through grouphead

- Watch boiler pressure (I believe it is boiler) rise. It goes to 9.5 bar, where I set it, during the shot.  As it goes to brew pressure (there is a few seconds delay due to pre-infusion, as I understand it) I start a 25 second timer on the microwave.

- Flip lever down

- I then add water to the reservoir, clean grouphead and portafilter, backflush with water.

I think this is it.  I am at work and trying to remember the best that I can.

Shawn
 View Profile Link to this post
zakglass
zakglass

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Macap M4; Baratza Maestro...
Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster CD
Posted Fri Nov 18, 2005, 9:43am

Torps Said:

If you have a Macap M4 what setting are you using for the grind?  any over-dosing?   adjustments?

Posted November 17, 2005 link

My grind depends on the bean, roast level and age. In general, I start at the 6 marking. I'm almost always within 3 clicks in either direction when adjusting grind. I grind enough for the shot - about a 10 second grind generally - and overdose/level the portafilter before tamping. I have a little brush that I use to clean out the chute after I grind if I'm not going to make another shot right away. The doser sweeps really clean. Once every several months, I use Grindz to clear out built up coffee residue.

It's been a great grinder. Couldn't be happier with it. The Anita seems like a steal, and I think it'll be a rock-solid set up with the Macap. Congratulations and have fun! You're working with good fresh beans, I assume?

-e.
zangad
zangad

Espresso: La Spaziale Spazio
Grinder: KA Pro Line
Drip: Nothing special
Posted Fri Nov 18, 2005, 10:27am

Torps,

Congrats! Let us know how you like your Anita! I've been researching this one for myself, too. I'm trying to decide between buying a Silvia, or jumping right to a HX machine like the Anita from the get-go. The thing I like about the Anita is the E61 grouphead and the higher-quality components.

My main question at this point is whether the Anita is worth double the price of a good non-HX single boiler machine, like the Silvia. My understanding is that the HX machines are more forgiving on newbies, plus the gauges help you ensure a perfect shot without a lot of temperature surfing or guesswork.

I'm interested to hear others' opinions of the Anita, as well.

"If your mom were a collection class, her insert method would be public."
windowrx

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Capresso MT500
Roaster: FreshRoast+8 and Hottop
Posted Fri Nov 18, 2005, 12:23pm

I'm in the same boat as you zangad. I had originally thought I'd get a Sylvia but now I've settled on Anita as soon as funds permit. I'm looking forward to hearing from the Anita owners.
John_Bigboote
John_Bigboote
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2005, 12:37pm

zangad Said:

Torps,

---SNIP---

My main question at this point is whether the Anita is worth double the price of a good non-HX single boiler machine, like the Silvia. My understanding is that the HX machines are more forgiving on newbies, plus the gauges help you ensure a perfect shot without a lot of temperature surfing or guesswork.

Posted November 18, 2005 link

I will jump in again.  I was going to get a Silvia, but when I looked at Temp surfing and then doing a PID modification, the price got within a couple hundred dollars.  Plus, PID modding void the warranty, so I would want to wait.  What about a pressure mod on the Silvia- little money, but again voids the warranty.  What about backflushing- probably a warranty issue.

With some money difference, the idea of not doing a PID mod, being able to change the brew pressure (Chris Coffee has this in the Anita FAQ) and the paperwork with the Anita tells you to backflush with water when ever you want and backflush with cleaner every 2 months or so (as I remember it).  That settled it completely for me.  And the steaming with good pressure just seconds after finishing a shot.

Put all together, it sealed the deal for me.

Shawn
heyduke
heyduke

Espresso: Quick Mill Anita
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Vac Pot: yama
Drip: Technovrm KTBS
Roaster: Heat Gun & Dog Bowl
Posted Fri Nov 18, 2005, 2:00pm

I am also planing on getting the Anita after the 1st of the year. After much research I think it is the best machine for the price. Keep us updated on your progress with the new machine. I jealous.
Torps
Torps

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2005, 5:52pm

Should be ready to purchase in the near future..
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Nov 18, 2005, 9:28pm

zangad Said:

Torps,

snip

Posted November 18, 2005 link

Hi all....the gauges are really a guide....in my experience, the pre pull flush length (for temp), correct grind, grind distribution and tamp are the biggies....my technique is still a work in progress! But Anita is a very simple machine to calibrate, and with proper care and cleaning does a fine job....even an "iffy" shot makes a swell Americano!
For the original poster, I'd recommend the "bottomless" PF....it really gives a great visual as to proper/improper technique....but beware of the squirts when starting out!!!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
Torps
Torps

Posted Fri Nov 18, 2005, 11:08pm

I'm testing a friends bottomless PF and machine.  My distrubution method was all wrong at first.  I'm trying to get more consistent with that.  My grind has a nice fine sand-like texture.  Only thing is I'm at the finest setting on the Macap m4.  Don't know what the deal is with that, I figure thats unusual.
To anyone who's using a Macap, which threaded-hole on the top of the unit did you use to secure the hopper on?  I see three of them.  I used the who where setting 1 is the finest and 9 is the most coarse.  Does that really make a difference?

IMAwriter:  How much of a cooling flush do you do between shots of say 3-4minutes time?  Is the cooling flush necessary if your doing consecutive double shots?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Anita owners...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.431245803833)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+