Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Preparing a used machine for use
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Preparing a used...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
ethom

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar, Silvia broken :o(
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bosch
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:25am
Subject: Preparing a used machine for use

Silvia arrived on the porch today and I couldn't wait to unpack her, even though I should be doing work.  Being an eBay purchase of a used Rancilio, I knew it wouldn’t be new.  However, I was disappointed with the packaging: in a box with an inch or so clearance around the SS body, wrapped in a white trash bag, surrounded by Styrofoam peanuts, and with cobbled little Styrofoam corners taped on the bag.  Packing tape held the drip tray and reservoir lid in place, which was good I suppose, but it left tape marks all over the surfaces.  Knowing it was coming by USPS, which tends to handle packages poorly at times, and seeing the size of the box, I feared the worst.  Thankfully, no apparent damage occurred in shipment.

Here is my question:  considering that the previous owner was not very careful in shipping, what should I do or check to get her ready for duty?  I was always planning to descale the machine before using it, but now I wonder if any internals may need attention. The portafiller is pretty dirty, coffee stained, and there is some crud in the reservoir.  I have some coffee machine cleaner that should take care of the external dirt.  What else might you suggest?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 11:00am
Subject: Re: Preparing a used machine for use

the first thing I would advise doing is to get some cheap coffee and pull some shots. you are not looking for a great coffee here simply the proper functioning of the machine. there is no use in giving it a thorough cleaning if it needs re work or return to sender.

after it works as advertised give it a good cleaning and a descale then you should be good to go. there is not a lot of things to go wrong inside the machine and if it is functioning properly you should be good to go.

other than that congratulations and enjoy!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ethom

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 11:06am

Great idea.  Since I'm just checking that it functions, some preground should be OK, right?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 11:16am

Yes, use what ever you have. It will tell you if there is any pressure at all and heat.  It doesn't matter that it is a good shot.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
zedex

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 11:44am

When you fill the resevour with water. Purge water through the steam valve to make sure the boiler gets filled with water. After that you should be good to go. let machine heat up for 20 minutes and start pulling shots, steaming, checking function.  Good luck.
ethom

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 11:54am

Glad I'm here!  I know filling the boiler is important, but wasn't sure how to do it, and in excitement may have forgotten completely.

While unpacking, I noticed the steam wand has a bit of play.  It’s the swivel, not ball joint, type, but still moves a bit vertically.  The bolt appears to be tight.  Is that movement normal?
zedex

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 1:06pm

A used machine will have a bit of movement there. When you steam and its leaking ,then you know its not normal.
ethom

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 3:59pm

She’s alive!

I filled the boiler and was able to get hot water through the group head, hot water from the wand, and steam from the wand.  No leaks were apparent from the wand or anywhere else.  Then I pulled three shots, none of them very good but not far from what I get from my DeLonghi.  One thing I noticed is that the puck stays pretty wet, not quite soupy but wet.  How can I tell if the three-way solenoid valve is working?
zedex

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 5:03pm

Pull a shot. Immediately after the shot remove PF. If you get sprayed with hot water and coffee grounds, the 3 way is not working.
As to the wet sloppy puck. Thats pretty normal for a silvia. Once you get your grinder, your good to go. The vario and silvia are good combo.
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 3:34am

The Vario and anything are a good combo...Well, except for a French press.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Preparing a used...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.403886079788)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+