Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Assistance in picking out an Espresso machine for a reasonable price.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Assistance in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 2:09pm
Subject: Re: Assistance in picking out an Espresso machine for a reasonable price.

The one I linked to is not Craigs list, it is in our own forum, FYI

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ddubick

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1Gr
Grinder: OE Pharos, Macap M5, Nuova...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 8:30pm
Subject: Re: Assistance in picking out an Espresso machine for a reasonable price.

I know at least in Calgary here that craigslist has almost died.  The biggest used site is now kijiji.  Here's vancouver's site: http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/ ... of course I don't see anything good being offered right now.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 8:16am

Just to chime in late . . .

1)  Your grinder is fine.

2)  Skip the SBDU.  

3)  If you're going used (and for <$800 CDN, you have to), the key is to BE PATIENT.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
andrewm

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 12:38pm

Thanks for the advice, JasonBrandtLewis.

I've been patient for 4 months. That how I managed to snag the Mazzer mini.

I just wanted to expedite the process.

Do you think 500 for an E61 HX machine used is reasonable?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 12:43pm

I think 500 for any good working HX is probably reasonable as they mostly start new at the 1k mark.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 2:53pm

For a working machine, that would be a nice price.
Just a small point though, E61 and HX are not exclusively together. There are some SBDU machines with a E61 group head and not all HX machines have E61 heads either, such as the Oscar.

Hang in there and keep looking, you will find something worth having.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 10:06pm

]]

andrewm Said:

I don't want to spend over 800 Canadian under any circumstance.

Posted December 5, 2012 link

I'm sure you could find a used HX for under that price. Especially something like a used Bezzera prosumer HX machine.

andrewm Said:

most I'd pay for a Rancilio Silvia with a PID is 400,

Well, the PID kit for the Silvia alone is $250 new and new I've seen them selling anywhere between $650-$800 new without a PID, depending on the shop and the markup.

I had my Silvia for about 8 months and found myself wanting greatly to move away from SBDU, only because the majority of drinks I make are milk drinks. Pulling straight shots isn't an issue.
As soon as I moved over to a DB machine, it took me about half the amount of time to make a drink. I suspect that moving to an HX machine would take me a smidgen longer. (Due to cooling flush.)

The advice to move straight into an HX machine is actually very good advice. One the biggest reasons for buying SBDU is mainly budgetary, due to the high cost of a new entry level HX machine.
From my point of view, I didn't know if I'd like pulling my own shots and didn't want to make too much of a financial commitment. (Hah!) If you are willing to take the plunge, go for it. :-)

andrewm Said:

I prefer local rather than shipped,

At least in Vancouver, I've seen a lot more used espresso equipment on the used market than I could ever dream about here in Calgary. Including some very cheap Silvia's.

I have a stupid question, is going plumbed an option for you? I've noticed in some cases, you can find light commercial machines selling for a bargain, but YMMV. There was a huge glut of
Nuova Simonelli MAC machines on the market here not that long ago, all of them selling for under $1000.. but they all require plumb-in operation. Buying a used commercial machine can be
a really huge crapshoot because you don't know if it saw service in a commercial environment. If it has, run away!

andrewm Said:

Does anyone have experience with the Crossland CC1? It's not pretty, but looks functional. Problem is it's not available used.

I can't say that I have... The CC1 has a boiler for brewing and a thermoblock for steaming, so you get around all of the limitations of SBDU machines. Now I'm just going to say IMHO on this
next statement, I could be a little ignorant here. I'm a little leery about thermoblocks from a reliability perspective. However, in saying that, they've been on the market for two years (To the best
of my knowledge) and I haven't seen anyone complaining about a thermoblock failure involving one of these machines yet, so maybe I'm just blowing smoke out of my rear orifice on that one.

If you can get a good warranty on one, the CC1 offers considerably better value than the Silvia from a 'Bang for the buck' perspective. The only thing competing with it is the Quickmill Silvano.

Click Here (blog.seattlecoffeegear.com)

If I absolutely had to spend only $800 and I wanted a new machine with warranty support, the CC1 would certainly be on my shortlist, thermoblock and all. It offers many more features than
other SBDU machines out there and blows away the Quickmill Silvano when it comes to featureset. The only machines which represent better value than the CC1 are the Lelit machines.

BTW, here's a Coffeegeek thread dating back to 2010 you should read if you want more information about the CC1:

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

I just thought I should mention.. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing the CC1. A lot of people seem to be very happy with theirs. Unfortunately, there is only one review on this site:
"Crossland CC1 PID Espresso Machine"

I can understand why the decision was made to go with a Thermoblock, mainly to keep costs down and to get out of the SBDU mentality.. There isn't any other engineering options out there.
short of going to an HX or DB design.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
andrewm

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 1:27am

Qualin,

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "going plumbed" ?
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 2:02am

andrewm Said:

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "going plumbed" ?

Posted December 7, 2012 link

Err.. I guess I should have been a bit more specific.

Some espresso machines have to be directly connected to a water line instead of relying on a reservoir. Some are switchable between a tank and plumbed. (Water line)

All commercial espresso machines require a directly connected (plumbed) water line. It's only consumer and prosumer models that usually have a built-in tank. As a result of this,
commercial machines usually tend to be cheaper because not everyone can plumb-in their machine to the water supply.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 6:36am

qualin Said:

As soon as I moved over to a DB machine, it took me about half the amount of time to make a drink. I suspect that moving to an HX machine would take me a smidgen longer. (Due to cooling flush.)

Posted December 6, 2012 link

Yes, about 5 seconds (about 2 seconds when you account for the warming flush on a DB) but then for some people, that is a long time.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Assistance in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.486656904221)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+