Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 114 of 257 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
sn_85

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Andreja Premium
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Dec 2, 2012, 10:37pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

For those that are interested in the machine Williams & Sonoma is running 25% off this machine right now.  Makes it $899 + plus tax with free S/H.  Use coupon code SAVENOW at checkout to get the savings.  They had the same deal last year and I know a lot of people were waiting for it to come back, well here it is.  Makes a high value dollar machine even more of a bargain.  If I didn't already have a machine this one would be pretty high on my list.  

Click Here (www.williams-sonoma.com)
Again, enter code SAVENOW at checkout
 View Profile Link to this post
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 7:13am

Hi,

I've had my BES900XL for almost a week (SN ending in 007554 us/can). I have read a lot of the 114 or so pages in this thread (Yikes! my eyes are tired). I have a few "amens" to the posts here, in particular, I was impressed by "9Bars'" early post

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/556049#556049

I have had almost all the exact same comments so That's why the link to his post. It is worth reading (as are quite a few others JMHO).

About the only thing I wanted to add was this observation (YMMV):

I am using the Breville single walled double shot basket with very good success. I have achieved this by paying attention to some (to me) critical details.

Now, in future, I will probably try some of the other baskets mentioned in the thread, but, you should (IMHO) be able to achieve very good results using the supplied single wall baskets.

From a purely mechanical viewpoint the supplied basket is a good place to start. I am going to see what the other baskets can bring in the future to better extraction, etc. etc..

FRESH BEANS! Did I mention FRESH BEANS?  (Basic but so true) I live in the Chicago area so I am lucky to have some good roasters close by. However, UPS and FEDEX et al. can put the roasters close by to almost all of us.

I was out of fresh beans when the unit arrived so I went to (please don't flame me I was desperate lol) a "Big Box" Coffee store (which shall remain nameless but you know who it is lmao). I wasted about an hour fiddling with their beans. Results? Almost no creme and very little taste. Not completely terrible but not really good either.

The next day I received my shipment from a local roaster that I respect. Yeah Babyy! That's what I'm talking about!

All the difference in the world. Second shot was "dialed in". So you probably guessed that the only use, to me, for the double-walled baskets is to use them for cleaning, since the manual says that the double-walled baskets are for pre-ground coffee. I will never ever buy coffee beans with no "roasted on Date" on the bag!

So the "Drill" (for me YMMV)

1.) I always weigh my beans (17g per basket) and grind.

2.) I distribute the grounds using the E,W,N,S method (ala Tony @ Metropolis, and Gail )

3.) As Tony at Metropolis Coffe mentions in his video, "Flush, and wipe"! (Group head flush and wipe off top rim)

4.) The tamper gets pushed down until it is just even to the top of the basket. I rotate the tamper 90 deg (2X) to polish the load.

3.) It took me about 6 pulls to achieve very good extraction and the pucks are firm and come out very cleanly.

In closing, I have to thank the guy at Breville who did the tamping/pull video, Gail and Kat for their series of videos, Whole Latte Love's videos, Metropolis's videos, and this forum, in particular, for making this an easy "start-up".

Cheers,

Dave

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 12:42pm

sn_85 Said:

For those that are interested in the machine Williams & Sonoma is running 25% off this machine right now.  Makes it $899 + plus tax with free S/H.  Use coupon code SAVENOW at checkout to get the savings.  They had the same deal last year and I know a lot of people were waiting for it to come back, well here it is.  Makes a high value dollar machine even more of a bargain.  If I didn't already have a machine this one would be pretty high on my list.  

Click Here (www.williams-sonoma.com)
Again, enter code SAVENOW at checkout

Posted December 2, 2012 link

folks, do NOT ignore this deal.  the WS sale was 30% off last year, so i got my BDB for $839.  AFAICT there were no greater deals the rest of 2012.  if 2013 turns out the same, you will either pay too much for a new BDB, or you will wait a year to get one.  don't get caught out looking for something else.

oh, and do what i didn't do... buy it with a visa card that automatically doubles the length of the factory warranty.  i used discover card, which does not do this, even though i have a high-roller visa that would have given me the double warranty.  doh!

-peter
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 10:16pm

Alas, I have parted ways with the BDB. I still think that it is a great machine and the 899$ deal is increadible. I just noticed the Breville Canada site advertising the BDB for 1399$.

Anyway, I am selling off my accessories so I wanted to draw your attention to this posting regarding the accessories that I am selling (naked PF, VST baskets and free water filters).

Thank you BDB owners forum. It was a great help and I greatly appreciated the interactions. Keep enjoying making exceptional espresso.

John
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 10:50pm

JohnLyn Said:

Alas, I have parted ways with the BDB. I still think that it is a great machine and the 899$ deal is increadible. I just noticed the Breville Canada site advertising the BDB for 1399$.

Anyway, I am selling off my accessories so I wanted to draw your attention to this posting regarding the accessories that I am selling (naked PF, VST baskets and free water filters).

Thank you BDB owners forum. It was a great help and I greatly appreciated the interactions. Keep enjoying making exceptional espresso.

John

Posted December 4, 2012 link

hi johnlyn why are you selling the dbd? whats your new machine?

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 7:07am

OK,

So I am retired and have some time on my "shaky" "overcaffinated" hands and I was wondering....

Does everybody do a daily back flush when they are done for the day?

If so, how do you do it?

Do you use the built in clean cycle with no tablet?

Do you do it manually like the guy in the Breville video?

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TpSSSYpq1I&feature=player_detailpage"

Are there any downsides to doing the auto clean sequence without the tablet?

Any downsides to a daily back flush?

Any Breville company "lurkers" that could "jump-in"?

So much coffee so little time.... sigh (lmao)

Cheers,

Dave

Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 7:15am

Oh and another thing.....

If any Breville company associates are "lurking" a thing that would be handy would be to program in a function to display the numbers of shots pulled on the LCD.

You're saving the number, so it could be displayed via a program change.

Of course that would mean a "re-flash" of the program "memory". Any way to do that in the field? (I think I know the answer to that lol)

Just a wish list item.

Cheers,

Dave

RaymondParker

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 7:26am

Park_Ridge_Dave Said:

If any Breville company associates are "lurking" a thing that would be handy would be to program in a function to display the numbers of shots pulled on the LCD.

Posted December 5, 2012 link

Its already there. just press all 4 buttons and the on switch at the same time  - then multiply the shown figure by 10 and you have the shots pulled - over 7 seconds thought.
carz07
carz07

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 7:35am

Park_Ridge_Dave Said:

OK,

So I am retired and have some time on my "shaky" "overcaffinated" hands and I was wondering....

Does everybody do a daily back flush when they are done for the day?

If so, how do you do it?

Do you use the built in clean cycle with no tablet?

Do you do it manually like the guy in the Breville video?

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TpSSSYpq1I&feature=player_detailpage"

Are there any downsides to doing the auto clean sequence without the tablet?

Any downsides to a daily back flush?

Any Breville company "lurkers" that could "jump-in"?

So much coffee so little time.... sigh (lmao)

Cheers,

Dave

nothing wrong with daily back flush, if your using the simple wiggle thing setup, its to get those little grinds off the group head and cleans the pipes

you do the tablet once clean me happens prompts

good for you to have so much coffee, me i dont have much coffee to play around with

carz07
carz07

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 7:43am

Park_Ridge_Dave Said:

Oh and another thing.....

You're saving the number, so it could be displayed via a program change.

Of course that would mean a "re-flash" of the program "memory". Any way to do that in the field? (I think I know the answer to that lol)

Just a wish list item.

Cheers,

Dave

a technical thing might come in to this
  1. 1 cup 2 cup is counted, manual and a 25sec shot is still a shot as well as a 56sec shot
  2. so when is a shot a shot? once a trigger in on and then turned off? so a flush is a shot in this case - some said here the computer starts to count when it reaches 7sec that is when i declares a shot will be counted until it says clean me

showing page 114 of 257 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.486312150955)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+