Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Cleaning Sivia Steam Wand
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Cleaning Sivia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MikeNH

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 6:19am
Subject: Cleaning Sivia Steam Wand

I've been using my silvia for a few days now and every time I steam milk I immediately put the milk down afterwards and purge/wipe down the steam wand. The milk seems to bake on the wand no matter how fast I get to it with a rag, and it ends up being nearly impossible to wipe off. Is there some sort of rag that works better than others, should I use a brillo pad or something to get this off? Every video I see of everyone else using the silvia it seems to wipe off no problem... Any ideas?

MikeNH: steam wand.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
zedex

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 10:09am
Subject: Re: Cleaning Sivia Steam Wand

A hot,wet dish rag does the job.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 10:12am

What works very well for me, is to place the rag under the steam wand and open the valve, not only will this wet the rag, but it'll get it super hot.  Then use the hot wet rag to wipe down the wand - be careful not to burn yourself.  Also, be careful to make sure you get the side of the wand you can't see well.  In truth, the moisture in the rag contributes more than the heat.  When I had my Silvia, the steam was too wet to do this without putting the rag into a pitcher of some sort (I opted for Pyrex) and using that to hold it under the wand tip.  My Duetto has super dry steam, so I can actually hold the rag under it with my hand.  The rag can be left to dry overnight/between sessions, so you can reuse it over and over until you feel it needs washing (so you might want to have several on hand). This method is about as close as you can get to steam cleaning the wand, and it's fast and works very well (plus it's nearly free).

The other method I would suggest, is to buy some wand cleaner.  Downsides...1) costs money, 2) involves rubbing a chemical around your wand which has to be rinsed off, and 3) time consuming.

Yeah, you can also go with a scotchguard scour pad...but it's a pain and probably less effective.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
stefano65
stefano65
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 11:04am

emradguy Said:

The other method I would suggest, is to buy some wand cleaner.  Downsides...1) costs money, 2) involves rubbing a chemical around your wand which has to be rinsed off, and 3) time consuming.

Posted December 6, 2012 link

good suggestion above but A little remark on this comment,
yes it cost money,
the best is to preventing milk to dry out and "cake" on the wand
however if is too late for that
some cleaner such as pulymilk will work just soaking the wand in it,  then just wipe or rinse
depends if you are soaking it with a pitcher or removing it from the valve
is safe and of course food grade

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mavrick1903

Espresso: Isomac Relax
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MCF
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 11:46am

Hot, Wet wipe is my defense. And of course right away. In the case of what you have, a soak in hot water will soften everything enough that you should be able to get it off (I forget what the range of motion was on Silvia). Dry rag is usually pretty weak in effectiveness.
MikeNH

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 8:01pm

Thanks everyone! I tried just dunking the end of the wand into some hot water before I wiped it down with a damp rag and that helped quite a bit.
Laowai

Espresso: Eupa TSK 1819A
Grinder: Feima 600N
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 11:36pm

My machine has the same wand with a rubber thingy that goes on the top of it.  Same exact issue that you have.  I compromise with it by only bothering to clean it off once a week.  There does seem to be a limit to how much milk can get baked on though.  Cleaning.  I use a small rag with hot water, wipe it down, then wipe it with a dry rag.  Anything left hanging on gets the fingernail treatment.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 8:18am

Laowai Said:

I compromise with it by only bothering to clean it off once a week.

WOW! the term "disgusting" comes to mind

Laowai Said:

There does seem to be a limit to how much milk can get baked on though.

My limit is, and has been, nil.

Surprising that this thread got so much discussion!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Cleaning Sivia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.483032941818)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+