Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 125 of 257 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JayGo

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 7:08pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Does anyone owning this machine know if the shot count displayed takes into consideration of the single or double shots you are pulling?
In other words, does the machine's shot counter know if you used single shot or double shot button (or manual button using long enough to pull double shots)?
How will the different volumes affect the 6000 shot count that would require you to send in the machine for descaling?
I have read the entire thread, but I have not found a good answer to this.
Thanks in advance for your help.
 View Profile Link to this post
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 9:07pm

Interesting question. I'll have to start adding the count check to my routine to see  results. I do note the clean me prompt has only been that, a prompt. The device continues doing the work, regardless. Not that I've cycled 10, 20+ or more times beyond flash trip. Anyone? Ooh, and so far I've had good performance using reverse osmosis water on the fill sensors. Factory scaling might end up being a nice path to one, two, or more, factory refurbishing - if Breville makes this a nice price point.
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 9:36pm

klund Said:

Nobody on this thread has had their machine long enough to require it to be sent in. IIRC, estimates were given that it would need servicing every three to five years. It would need to go to an authorized Breville repair center. Depending upon the popularity of the machine, the authorized location listing will probably change in two years.

So, to sum up, probably every three to five years, and cost as yet to be determined. Anybody else know something more specific?

Posted December 12, 2012 link

phil mcknight, who has gone strangely silent of late, even on the aussie forum, "hinted" with a nudge, nudge, wink, wink, that draining the steam boiler, the main "gotcha" in descaling, "might" prove even easier than adjusting the OPV, once the rank-and-file figure it out.  and adjusting the OPV is _super_ easy.  i have also heard the o-ring on the three-way-valve (solenoid), has been meeting a premature demise as well.  it's another easy fix if you know what a 3-way valve is.

my BDB is now off warranty--the north american version only gets a year.  to me, with my 900xl being off warranty, (and knowing a little about the internals of old skool espresso machines), i prefer that the things going wrong with this machine are the same things people fix in the older steel/copper/brass machines--like the industry-standard ulka pump, OPV's and three-way valves. they _might_ even be replaceable by more robust, commercial-grade kit. didn't shapeshifter/nic replace her OPV with a proper brass one? anyhow, better this stuff than proprietary PCB's and microcontrollers that might be unavailable to the general public, and/or might require flash programming or such in order to work after replacement--like a replacement microchip key for your car.  i worry a little more about the err1 and err2 messages.

anyhow, my fingers remain crossed that motivated, off-warranty users will rise to the challenge--like they did with the opv initially.  along those lines, i worry a LOT that so VERY many BDB owners are espresso newbies who don't know the difference between an OPV and a 3-way valve.  it's almost as if they wandered into williams sonoma and saw this cool machine and were sold on it, THEN began to learn about espresso--like the folks who bought into kitchen aid's sexy-but-sucky espresso machine and grinder 5-7 years ago.  it was avoided in droves by experts and bought in droves by newbies.  i see that happening here too.  and it's worriesome because i'm pretty sure the BDB blows the kitchen aid double boiler espresso machine clean off the map.  nothing wrong with newbies.  you're all very welcome, of course.  but where are the intermediates and beyond to bring a little balance to this machine?  who's going to be "scottie" and figure out how to get the warp drive running again on the off-warranty BDB?

-peter
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 9:37pm

deleted accidental duplicate
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 9:42pm

carz07 Said:

bubbadude

i dialed already 18gdry/39gwet but im getting super bitter
i did both 200 and 198 temp
both at 32sec

how to fix?

Try a shorter pull, closer to 32g. Your pull has to match your bean.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:00pm

BubbaDude Said:

Try a shorter pull, closer to 32g.

ok so its 18gdry/32gwet at 32sec right?
this means i have to tighten the grind right?

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:06pm

carz07 Said:

ok so its 18gdry/32gwet at 32sec right?
this means i have to tighten the grind right?

A normal has a 2:1 ratio of wet to dry, but not all beans will taste good at the standard mix. So start at 2:1 and then adjust up or down depending on the results.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:07pm

dagoat Said:

who's going to be "scottie" and figure out how to get the warp drive running again on the off-warranty BDB?

Maybe you are, possibly with a little help from Phil or someone like him.

carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:36pm

BubbaDude Said:

A normal has a 2:1 ratio of wet to dry, but not all beans will taste good at the standard mix. So start at 2:1 and then adjust up or down depending on the results.

did the 32g, a little sting in the result, should i do finer? or do some temp change? is this sting the astringent that call? its not sour it doesnt reacat to my palate

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:43pm

carz07 Said:

did the 32g, a little sting in the result, should i do finer? or do some temp change? is this sting the astringent that call? its not sour it doesnt reacat to my palate

Under-extracted is sour, over-extracted is bitter. The three variables are the ratio of wet to dry, the temperature, and and the time of the pull (determined by the grind.)

More extraction comes from lower wet/dry ratio, higher temp, and finder grind.

But some beans are just bad, it may come down to that.

showing page 125 of 257 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.47910284996)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+