Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need some Suggestions on a Home/Small Business Countertop Coffee System
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need some...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Kooler

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 1:52am
Subject: Need some Suggestions on a Home/Small Business Countertop Coffee System

Hello. I am new to this website, and from what I have been reading it appears I have a lot to learn. I would like to purchase a Coffee system that can be used in a home and also in a small business I have. In the basement of my home I have a 200 sq ft. wellness/fitness studio. Frequently our clients reuse the post workout smoothie and instead ask for a "healthy" latte or espresso based drink.  I have been looking at the systems Miele sells on their website and other websites that sell their systems.  Rather then just buying a Miele countertop system that can used whole beans, grind them up and produce the basic drinks most of us have been buying for years.  I just do not have the knowledge that I need to pick out a good, high-quality machine, that will grind the whole beans (with various settings from fine to course), and has the other options like ease of use, the option to froth the milk for a latte or similar drink, and most importantly can be cleaned with not a lot of work involved. I think we would make about 3-4 specialty espresso drinks/day, regular coffee, the option to make tea would be a plus, and anything else you experts think I should look for before I purchase a machine. As far as the Miele systems I have been looking a the 5000 & 5100 espresso machines. I am not interested in the Nesprsso machines, but several others I have viewed the video on YouTube have my interest.  Some can be cleaned fairly easily by removing certain parts to the machine and others require a tablet added to dissolve the calcium deposits that have accumulated in the machine.  I would rather not have to use a tablet and have that mixture go through the machine to clean it out and remove the deposits.  I wish I had more knowledge on what exactly I am looking for. One other thing I would like the machine to have is good looks which would allow me to keep in up on the countertop down in the studio where our clients come and go all day. I have seen some videos from a Whole Latte Love that have covered the area of purchasing a machine for home use. Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions the experts can give me.
 View Profile Link to this post
johnboddie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 9:34am
Subject: Re: Need some Suggestions on a Home/Small Business Countertop Coffee System

If your clients are going to be making the coffee, you're probably best off considering one of the new Starbucks capsule machines that also has steaming capability. The footprint is small and the mess can be better controlled than if you were using an HX machine and grinder.
steven_meyer

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0, ECM  Giotto...
Grinder: HG-One, Mahlkonig K-30 vario
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 10:30am
Subject: Re: Need some Suggestions on a Home/Small Business Countertop Coffee System

Don't know how much you're willing to spend. This may be a situation where a Super Auto machine is called for. This one from Chris Coffee service appears to be at the top of the list for performance and reliability.

Click Here (www.chriscoffee.com)
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 11:58am

steven_meyer Said:

This may be a situation where a Super Auto machine is called for.

Posted December 9, 2012 link

Sad, but true.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Stratocaster

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Breville 900d
Grinder: San Marco
Vac Pot: No
Drip: No
Roaster: No
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 12:07pm

Hi Steven,

Perhaps you should look at a Pod system, it is simple, easy to use, not so messy as portafilter based machines, you can keep tabs on stock and usage. Only downside coffee in pod form is more expensive.

Good luck !

Franko
Kooler

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 6:23pm

John-
No I will be making the drinks just like I make the post workout smoothies.  I really prefer not to get a machine that uses the capsules. I would like to be able to put in whole beans and have the machine grind the beans and make the drinks with my assist.
Kooler

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 6:27pm

I can spend about $1500-$2000. I was looking at the Miele home/commercial systems because they use whole beans, grind them up, seem to have decent reviews, can steam the milk and there are no capsules to waste.  Anything with Starbucks on it I would have a tendency to stay away from.  I would like a system that allows me to do some of the work if it is making sure beans are put in, the water is in and fresh, the espresso consistency is right and the milk can be frothed/steamed.

I used to have a machine about 8 years ago which was great but I had to do all the work, but once I did it I got the hang of it and the drinks were great.  I am not looking for one of the machines that does it all for me.
Kooler

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 6:29pm

Jason-

why is that sad but true?  Not following that comment.  I am not looking for a machine that does it all.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 7:07pm

Kooler Said:

I am not looking for a machine that does it all.

And...

Kooler Said:

I was looking at the Miele home/commercial systems because they use whole beans, grind them up, seem to have decent reviews, can steam the milk and there are no capsules to waste.

?????

Doesn't a Miele system - I'd never recommend one, btw - "do it all"?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Kooler

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 7:37pm

Doesn't a Miele system - I'd never recommend one, btw - "do it all"?

?????????

no not in my humble opinion. compared to the type of machine I had about 8 years ago, yes the Miele does a lot of the work, but that is the reason why I came on here where the experts are.  To get ideas on what are some good coffee systems that like the Miele will aloow me to pour in whole beans .  the post is there if you want to read it.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need some...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.42760014534)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+