Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
which machine to buy
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > which machine to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
pbraido

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 8:45am
Subject: which machine to buy

I am upgrading and not sure which to buy a Gaggia Classic or baby or Rancillio Silva any opinions would be appreciated I have about $600 to spend Thanks
P Braido
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 10:25am
Subject: Re: which machine to buy

Which machine do you own now? What are your reasons for upgrading? What kind of coffee drinks do you prefer? How many cups per session and per day will you probably be making?

Since both machines are SBDUs that come without a PID ex factory, they are technically the same more or less. The Gaggia Classic nowadays comes with pressurized portafilters in the form of double walled filter baskets and a steam wand that is equipped with a panarello. You'll have to get regular baskets in order to brew good espresso and might want to change the steam wand to a Rancilio Silvia wand for better milk frothing ability. So you'll have to add a certain amount of money to mod the Classic. Apart from that both machines are a little bit out dated, because especially for the price of a Silvia you could get an espresso machine with more advanced features like the Crossland CC1, for example. Still, they are both nice higher end entry level machines. The Silvia probably has the better resale value.

But if you really have narrowed down your shortlist to those two machines, the best advise will be for you to take a live look at both machines at a local dealer. That will help you more than anything to make a decision, because you have to like the look and feel of a machine as well.

Apart from that, the major question is which grinder do you have or rather are you planning to get?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 12:05pm

pbraido Said:

I am upgrading and not sure which to buy a Gaggia Classic or baby or Rancillio Silva any opinions would be appreciated I have about $600 to spend

Posted December 9, 2012 link

With that budget, the short answer is "not much."  What sort of equipment do you have now?

Standard Questions:
1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at ay one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pourover machine with its own reservoir?
5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 2:26pm

Not the Baby.  

http://www.partsguru.com/GaggiaBabyClassandTwinBaby.html

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
pbraido

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 6:46am

I have a breville 820 xl with a bodum grinder I use a single wall filter in the
Breville. I make 3 to 4 latte capuccino daily with the odd espresso
Can't direct plum into water
pbraido

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 6:48am

The crossland cc1 looks interesting I didn't know about this machine and will definetly consider it thanks
Pbraido
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 8:50am

Well, let's start from the position that the only Breville that ever gets any recommendations is the BES900XL -- and even then, some have reservations while some love it.  Every other Breville had gotten a "thumbs down" around here.  Then let's add to the equation than the only thing worse than your Breville is the Bodum grinder:  I cannot recall seeing a single recommendation for using a Bodum grinder for espresso . . .

Don't misunderstand me.  I am not suggesting you throw everything away and spend $3,000 on a whole new system.  You don't need to do anything of the sort.  But what I would strongly recommend is that you KEEP your Breville, and spend all the money NOT on a machine, but on a GRINDER!  

A better grinder and the same machine will produce significantly better quality espresso than a better machine and the same grinder . . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Ruthie

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:35am

My husband purchased a Silvia a few years ago and it was a good enough machine for a complete novice like me to pull a decent shot on.  I never did get the hang of steaming the milk just right, but admittedly only tried it a dozen times or so.
pbraido

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:44am

Ok let's start with the grinder my bodum I notice does not grind fine coffee even at its finest setting so ok let's get a decent grinder first then go from there can you give me some recomendations and prices I don't want to spend a thousand dollars on a grinder but I do understand that cheap is not good either thanks for the help
Pbraido
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 12:42pm

What do you want to spend?
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > which machine to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.416709899902)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+