Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 102 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat May 4, 2013, 2:50pm
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

Iluvdabean Said:

If you dont like it i will be surprised. Red Bird came at noon but I had  already worked my way through 4 double lattes of Verve. Between myself, my wife and son,
cranked out 10 double lattes. I made last four with Red Bird but didn't drink any. Tomorrow I will drink some...Pulled very nice shots though. Two doubles are sitting
in disposable 16 OZ mugs to be turned into ice coffee later. Take those add some Tornai and ice and milk...and wow. Love my espresso machine.

Posted May 4, 2013 link

Redbird tends to show up very quickly post-roast.  It may take a few days to hit its stride.
 View Profile Link to this post
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Sat May 4, 2013, 3:05pm

Good news guys.   Machine is back to normal operation again.

Got a new relay from Jim and swapped it out for the faulty one,  turned the beast on,  and up to 204 F it went.  

One little hiccup though.   The new relay Got from 1st Line wouldn't work without modification.   The cable that comes off the relay and plugs into the Pstat was  WAY too short.   It wasn't going to reach.   I wound up the longer cable from the old relay and soldering it onto the new one.   Did that and everything is working ok.

I sent Jim an email with a picture showing the different cables.   I'll let you know his response.
MDiddy

Posted Sat May 4, 2013, 5:49pm

Just for reference, here's a pic of the old and new relay.  You can see the old one on bottom has a much longer cable that goes to the pstat.

MDiddy: IMG_20130504_161142.jpg
(Click for larger image)
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sat May 4, 2013, 5:54pm

The little plastic connector piece opens up and comes into 2 parts. basically all the connections are made at the relay end.
MDiddy

Posted Sat May 4, 2013, 5:56pm

slybarman Said:

The little plastic connector piece opens up and comes into 2 parts. basically all the connections are made at the relay end.

Posted May 4, 2013 link

I don't follow.  

The cable is connected to the actual board.  There would be no way to get it to reach the way it was.
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sat May 4, 2013, 6:03pm

Yes, sorry. It has been a long day and my memory is wrong on that. I guess somebody just cut yours a bit too short.
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sat May 4, 2013, 6:15pm

I've seen dozens of these machines and have never seen one with the longer wire on. In my experience they're all the shorter wire which connects to a second short wire to the p-stat. Other than that, I have seen all sorts of different set-ups from the manufacturer's attempts to make less mistakes on the 120V machines for the north american market. I suppose different markets get different set-ups. Just be glad if you don't end up with one of the 120 volt ones rated for max.10Amps.
MDiddy

Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 8:05am

Well, it seemed promising yesterday, but turned the machine on this morning and the temp stalled out around 175 F again and wouldn't go any higher.  Smacked the machine a few times and it started to climb again, and stopped at 185 F so it looks like it's not the relay causing the issue.

No idea how or why this is happening, but all I did was pull the mushroom, clean it and the chamber, and then put it back, so I think the problem is there somehow.  Is there something I possibly missed?  Pulled everything from the mushroom, and replaced back in that order:  brew valve, spring, mushroom, gicleur screen, gicleur nut.  Is there something I missed?  Some nuance in replacement I didn't follow?

Would really like to get this resolved.
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 7:24pm

Let it sleep overnight with the 8 outer bolts out (4 on top, 2 each side)...
If it stalls again tomorrow, pull the top and the sides off carefully.  Does tapping the pressostat start it going again?  Does tapping the relay start it going again?  Does swearing at the little bastard start it going again?  You hvae poert to the power-switch and beyone, if the green light is on...  That green light and the common of the p-stat is just a short length of very cheap wire apart from each other.  It is uncommon for the pressostats to fail at a young age in a Cuadra, they have that sacrificial relay to die for them.
If your circuit is complete at turn-on, but opening at some incorrect point, then something in the circuit is imperfect. It'll most likely be the relay (I know it's only a day old, but it is a one day old piece of crap), or it is the element or pressostat (A Mater Pressostat is a piece of crap, too...  But not as foul as that clownish relay on a PC Board with a resistor belonging in a DC circuit).  Anyone else notice the "Ramp-Up resistor" on there? Good job, that'd be helpful if it were a DC circuit. Potentially it is preventing the opening spike from damaging that high-tech electronics of that powerboard that doesn't even shut the element off when the boiler is empty.
I shouldn't write about Cuadras on weekends.  I drink on weekends and don't have nice lies to say about them.
bodkacoffee

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Cuadra II
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: US Roaster 5k
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 5:02am

I found out last night how well mine worked. We had family and friends over and made 22 lattes with a double shot each and steamed milk and did it basically without stopping. It kept up very well. I am pleased.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 102 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.396155118942)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+