Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Starbucks Barista dying?
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Starbucks...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 1:28pm
Subject: Re: Starbucks Barista dying?

It seems, looking at pictures only, that the PF or group gasket and the PF locking ring fit to the boiler and group determine the spacing.  Recheck the grouphead/pf locking ring install and the gasket.  Again, I only see the article and the parts photo. Look at the part number of the gasket in your ordersheet.  Call them and ask about gaskets and thickness for the PF, though not shown.  Perhaps more than one thickness is available as on the Gaggia.  It has to be something simple.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
jonnybignote

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 3:04pm

Thanks D4F.

You were right - it was something simple - me...  According to Stefano, there is only one brewhead gasket for that model.  I had threaded the nuts onto the lower half of the boiler and then sat the assembled boiler on top of the locking ring, which is of course wrong and meant that the gasket and screen wasn't descended enough to properly lock.  The boiler halves AND the locking ring should be pushed together and then bolted, so that the boiler effectively sits on the nuts themselves.

All is well with the brewhead.  In the end, I think the brewhead gasket wasn't in great shape, and there ended up being a huge amount of coffee under the shower screen which was probably the main culprit (I couldn't previously get the shower screen screw out as it was partially threaded and I needed the leverage gained by having the boiler removed to be able to loosen it from above).  That is probably something I'll have to keep an eye on, as my tamper is ever so slightly too small for the portafilter which occasionally results in coffee on the side of the basket.  I have a new screw for the shower screen, so that shouldn't be a problem to routinely check now.

As is often the case, a repair like this can show up something else...

Though my first attempt to pull a shot from the repaired machine was successful, there was a steady stream of water from the wand as the pressure built up - not ideal from a wasted water point of view and also means I'm robbing some of the 'at temperature' water from the boiler for pulling the correct shot.

I have a feeling that that much water is too much to be corrected by adjusting the hex bolt on the wand arm.  In my desire to clean while I repaired, I probably removed some of the crud around the wand gaskets that was helping keep water at bay....

Maybe I'll try the adjustment, but in the meantime, I probably need to order replacement gaskets for the wand.

At least I can pull a good shot now, so I'm pretty happy!
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 5:12pm

Happy to help.  That was what I meant about the spacing, but could not comment specifically not having actually seen one.  You are correct that if you leak more than a little drip that you may have temperature problems.  You can keep the temperature up hitting the steam switch, for very short term, but you will need to fix as you noted.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Billben

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 7:00pm

Jonnybigfnote,
I replaced the coil on my Barista and have the same problem with the group head gasket not being spaced correctly.  I didn't understand how you corrected this in your posting.  Would you mind re-describing how you fixed this problem?  Thanks in advance.
Bill
jonnybignote

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 12:56am

Hey there - the problem, at least how I encountered it, was this.

I bolted the two halves of the boiler together and then I sat that on top of the portafilter locking ring - that was the wrong thing to do....

You must bolt all 3 elements together - the two boiler halves AND the locking ring, and  THEN insert that assembled piece back on top of the frame and secure underneath with the retaining bolts.

Hope that helps!
Billben

Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 5:52pm

Jonnybignote,
Got it!  I don't know how I missed this in the first place.  I was so careful remembering how to put all the electrical connections back together, I must have spaced out this important part of the assembly.  Thanks so much for your help!
Bill
marlap
marlap
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista Athena
Grinder: Braun KM 30 (modded)
Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 6:22pm

Two last things you should do Jonnybignote. First decalcify. Second clean the holes in boththe shower screen and the portafilter basket using a stiff brush that has bristles fine and stiff enough to clean the crud out.
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 11:00pm

Ooh dear, I have to find me a project box. I know I don't want to start a strip down and have to stop partway through... Too many of those lying around already! Thank you for the parts vendor link; most appreciated.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Starbucks...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.361331939697)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+