Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Finally taking the espresso plunge - Mini Vivaldi
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Finally taking...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 2:27pm
Subject: Finally taking the espresso plunge - Mini Vivaldi

After becoming quite good at home roasting and brewing techniques, I've finally decided to dive into espresso with the La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II.

I ordered from Chris' Coffee along with the bottomless portafilter w/triple basket, pre-infusion chamber, Espro calibrated 53mm tamper, and a pound of the Machristay Black Pearl espresso just to play around with. I'm currently using a Baratza Virtuoso Preciso.

Does anyone have any tips for getting started with this unit? I've done a fair bit of research already but I'm just looking for any and all input I can get. From what I've seen, most people recommend using 16-16.5g of coffee for this machine.

How do you guys set the volumetric dosing? Do you pull a real shot and set it when the volume reaches the desired quantity using a measuring glass...or do you use a scale while pulling the shot?

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
diggi
diggi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 4:40pm
Subject: Re: Finally taking the espresso plunge - Mini Vivaldi

Congrats on the move.
People do different things with the volumetric options.  I set my single as a quick ~1.5 sec flush to use after pulling a shot/use as warm-up flush. I set the double after dialing in, and pull, stopping a tad (maybe a second) on the blonder side of finished (using a scale for weight). This way, if I'm not paying attention, the shot is usually fine though there is some variation shot-to-shot wrt when the shot should finish, depending on age of beans/grind/etc....I usually don't obsess about this too much (the volumetric is a trade-off for convenience vs quality that I'm glad I have; and keeping this variable consistent allows playing with the others more accurate). If I am paying particular attention, I can stop the shot a bit early if the shot is bonding by hitting the double button before the shot is finished.  Better than having the shot end early, with no way to extend the shot mid-pull. Most times, I must say, I just let the shot finish according to the volumetric option, then fix what went wrong with the next shot with dose and grind.  I usually reset the double volume depending on the blend I'm using and whether I'm in for more of a normale or ristretto.
And yes, I find dosing lighter than 58mm baskets. Though I'm usually in the 14-15g range for a shot weight of ~30g give or take.
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 5:28pm

Thanks for all the tips!

diggi Said:

Though I'm usually in the 14-15g range for a shot weight of ~30g give or take.

Posted December 9, 2012 link

So this would be a ristretto, correct?

How many grams of coffee would you generally recommend for a 2oz double with the Mini?
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:21am

]Welcome to the Mini Vivaldy club. I recently joined in myself.

first question: why did you choose the Mini over the Dream T? personally I did not want to part of working out the early electronic bugs even though I am confident that will be minimized and solved. I also wanted a tried and true machine.

second: be aware that there is an S1 board with lots of info: http://www.s1cafe.com

Third: getting started. I am just getting started as well with the mini and will be interested in the comments of others so I will be following this thread. I have wavered between 16 - 19 gr doses as I figure out how to get the most out of my coffee. my coffee's tend to be on the lighter side so I dose up. right now I am using a coffee from Panama and I am settling into a dose of 17.5 gr in the triple. The principle I have understood with the 53 PF is that the double can handle up to 16.5 grams, after that you go triple.

I have provided you here with  this brewing ratio chart Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

diggi suggested a 14-15g for a shot weight of 30g. In consulting the chart you'll see that it fits the definition of a regular espresso and not a ristretto. 30g is close enough to two ounces. some people do things by sight and volume, others by weight. I am a weigher and I will go between ristretto, regular and lungo depending on what I think is is extracting the best flavours from a particular coffee.

Awesome machine eh! and the steam power!!! out of this world.
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:56am

JohnLyn Said:

Welcome to the Mini Vivaldy club. I recently joined in myself.

first question: why did you choose the Mini over the Dream T? personally I did not want to part of working out the early electronic bugs even though I am confident that will be minimized and solved. I also wanted a tried and true machine.

Posted December 10, 2012 link

Thanks for the welcome! My reasons were basically the same as yours. I had been eying the Mini way before the Dream T was announced..and I had pretty much decided on the machine already.

JohnLyn Said:

second: be aware that there is an S1 board with lots of info: http://www.s1cafe.com

Yes, I've been digging through tons of posts on there. I posted here though because I already have an established membership at CG, and the S1 boards seem to be kind of dead..

JohnLyn Said:

diggi suggested a 14-15g for a shot weight of 30g. In consulting the chart you'll see that it fits the definition of a regular espresso and not a ristretto.

AHH ok...I was confusing weight with volume. I keep doing that. Thanks for pointing that out to me!

JohnLyn Said:

Awesome machine eh! and the steam power!!! out of this world.

I will find out on the 13th when it arrives. So very excited :)
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 11:20pm

It is nice to have a tried and true machine with a great rep fur durability and consistency in the cup.

EvanOz85 Said:

Yes, I've been digging through tons of posts on there. I posted here though because I already have an established membership at CG, and the S1 boards seem to be kind of dead..

fair enough. S1 cafe is not completely dead and a lot of questions have been answered there already. That being said, I was glad to see your thread here because the Mini V is kind of old news and doesn't get a ton of talk. Keep us posted on how it goes when it arrives.
zedex

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 9:11am

On my v2 i use about 16.5 grams ground beans with about 5 seconds pre infusion. I actually just weigh my grind initially to set up my grinder time. After that i no longer weigh my shots because my vario times out at the approximate dose. I am not anal enough to weigh each individual shot. After my tamp the grounds are about 1 cm below the top of the PF. I play around with the temperature a bit depending on what bean i am using.  Usually 93 degrees F. My shots are made into a small clear espresso cup where i can see all the layers.  I set up my volumetric dose by first filling my espresso cup with 1.5 ounces of water and noting the level. Dump out the water and pull my shots to that level.
   I remember with my silvia when i got up in the morning. I would froth my milk and then leave it steam, walk away, go to the bathroom. When i returned the milk would be the right temperature. No doing this with the V2. The steam is crazy fast and powerful and could actually be dangerous to the in experienced.:).

Enjoy that new machine.

After you have your machine set up and working you can modify it by putting lights behind the PF. Ikea has an led light strip that works perfectly for your machine. Easy to install and makes a big difference in viewing your shot.
  Cheers.
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 9:33am

Evan, so I take it you opted to go this route instead of buying a commercial Trifecta? Boo. ;) Seriously, though, enjoy! Nice machine.
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 12:11pm

jbviau Said:

Evan, so I take it you opted to go this route instead of buying a commercial Trifecta? Boo. ;) Seriously, though, enjoy! Nice machine.

Posted December 11, 2012 link

I have been switching back and forth on which one to buy for a long time now. In the end, I decided that a commercial Trifecta in my kitchen may hinder my chances of getting married.
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 4:40pm

Question: Is a warmup flush necessary if the machine is left on all the time?
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Finally taking...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.495276927948)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+