Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Could E61 head release residual water over the puck?
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Could E61 head...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
danutco
danutco

Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012, 6:30am
Subject: Could E61 head release residual water over the puck?

the Bezzera Magica is quite new - 2 months; and it is used moderately with 4-5 doubles/day;
it happened from the beginning:
at the very moment of unlocking the portafilter - be it a few seconds after extraction, or ten minutes after - there is a small amount of water dropping from the drain valve and a small patch of water over the puck; immediately after the PF is unlocked, this patch of water is absorbed into the puck, as it was dropped there just before;
the puck consistency seems ok, not muddy and it is easily dropped into knockbox, rather dry on the bottom;

the water dropping from the drain valve seems to happen on other E61's too - I wonder why as the drain valve is open since closing the brew valve?
it appears that the 9 bar pressure release, does not eliminate all the water inside, and the residuals drop down released by the outside pressure equalisation when PF is unlocked;
leaving the portafilter into the group for as long as it would be, does not cure at all the problem: there will always be a small patch of water on the puck surface immediately after unlocking the portafilter;
could this be caused by a hardware problem in E61, such as adjustmens/gaskets/etc?
many thanks for any clue,
radu
 View Profile Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012, 6:45am
Subject: Re: Could E61 head release residual water over the puck?

Puckology - don't do it  ;0) has been the common advise offered on the board.

I find similar results and always have with my Duetto regarding the dampness on top of the puck. I have not noticed additional evacuation the valve but i will look on my next cup.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012, 8:57am

I can't say that it happens on all E-61's but it has on both I have owned. They both tend to leave a puck a bit more soupy than other machines.
"Ignore the puck. Drink the coffee. Be happy."

Now, if you like to eat the puck and throw out the coffee, then contact your seller.   ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
erik82

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Olympia Cremina 2013
Grinder: HG One 83mm #0083
Drip: Kalita Wave, Aeropress,...
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012, 3:26am

I have noticed the same behaviour with my E-61. Would also like to get a technical answer about this. Sometimes my puck is dry but most of the time this happens with overdosing. Seems te be a very small window of dosing where the puck comes out dry (around 1-2mm headspace). Below or above this the same happens here.
danutco
danutco

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 3:43pm

thank you for entering the thread!
yes, this is a technical (hardware) issue I am inquiring about; the quality of the coffee it not relevant in this particular case, nor the puck taste :)
moreover, I am supposing that the puck is dry after lowering the E61 lever;
only, at the very moment of unlocking the portafilter, anytime when it happens after, there is a water drop from the drain valve, as there were little vacuum inside;
and there is a patch of water on the puck surface, immediately absorbed into it as it was dropped too in the moment of the pressure equalization;

most probably I am wrong with my supposition of the puck getting wet not due to some water remains on it, but due to some water dropping onto it when the PF is released, in some marginal conditions of the E61...
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 6:16pm

There are possible causes of water dripping from the group after the extraction or after releasing the PF. A bad brew-valve seal could be one. Not likely after only a couple of months use. Possibly some debris in the seal such as a metal shaving from production which was missed. And lastly, if plumbed, it would be a water pressure problem on the supply line. But I only offer those possibilities as just that. Mere possibilities. A machine set with a too-high brew temperature and left to idle a long time then used without a cooling flush would be a likely error at the other end of the assembly line. Far more likely reason, though, is that it is normal for E-61 groups. In my experience, I only take notice when I get a very dry puck, and that only happens when I have delayed the removal of the portafilter for a number of minutes after the extraction.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
danutco
danutco

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 3:21am

this is the problem: if I have delayed the removal of portafilter for a number of minutes after the extraction, that patch of water will be freshly there, over the puck, as it was dropped just before, at the moment I have unlocked the PF;
and at that moment, there is a kind of pressure equalization and some water drops from the drain valve, and perhaps, over the puck?
for now I don't even understand why that residual water is kept inside the grouphead chamber, while this is open to the outside via the preinfusion and drain valve...
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Could E61 head...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.466657876968)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+