Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 127 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012, 6:23pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

BubbaDude Said:

Beats me.

Posted December 13, 2012 link

its a 3day old beans, should i wait 1-2 more days?

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fragilex

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 3:39am

I just received a replacement unit from Breville. A couple months ago my machine had started making a hissing noise, very faint and intermittent, which gradually become loud enough to hear from another room over and nearly constraint when the boilers were up to temp. It sounded like a steam leak, I'm guessing from a bad hose connection, and was loudest at the rear vents. Anyway, Breville was great and shipped out a new one to swap with mine.

One odd thing though, the portafilter that came with the new machine felt a tad lighter. So I weighed each (no baskets in either) and found that the new portafilter is about 16 grams lighter. There's no obvious visible difference, so I'm a bit baffled as to what changed and why.

Not a big deal, obviously, but I thought I'd share that tidbit, in case anyone had a thought about it.
 View Profile Link to this post
bagscoffee

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:10am

Just ordered one of these at a Bed Bath and Beyond store. Just an FYI, they took the 20% off coupon despite Breville being listed as an exclusion; YMMV. It ended up being right around a grand after tax.  Not as good as some of the deals last week, but being able to return it to a local B&M store with a solid return policy is worth the extra to me.

So, now that I get to stop stressing about what machine to buy, I can start stressing about this machine getting to me in time for Christmas. :D
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES920xl
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: Pour over: Melita Ceramic
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 2:57pm

Peter,
It is truly amazing what 3 weeks of intensive trolling around CG, HB, SM's, SGC, and EmE! can do for one's possible and available product knowledge base.
There was a very long period of learning coffee ropes on stuff easily purchased within the price of a basic grinder. I didn't join the big boys with their toys (even if only the diminutive BDB) until the end of October. Part of the reason I even ended up here was I discovered at 52 I'd started settling for whatever coffee was just around and available. I remembered there was a time I'd been very interested in knowing so much more. I guess when I was no longer 'gainfully' employed I needed something to gnaw on... What is more amazing to me is how long it took me to 'detox' and to start thinking straight after leaving that in the past!

JJ,
I appreciate your concerns. I hope you have no further troubles going forward. When I think back to how many years my Barista has soldiered on; how many pulls of coffee that actually was; all I can hope for each and every one of us is: "as good or better!"

Cheers,
-Chris
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 3:03pm

carz07 Said:

its a 3day old beans, should i wait 1-2 more days?

Posted December 13, 2012 link

Don't pull so much volume. A strict 2:1 ratio doesn't work for many combinations of grind and time, and you're plainly over-extracting.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
carz07
carz07

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 5:05pm

BubbaDude Said:

Don't pull so much volume. A strict 2:1 ratio doesn't work for many combinations of grind and time, and you're plainly over-extracting.

Posted December 14, 2012 link

ok i will test with lesser volume? meaning time? since ive notice when i cut the 32 to 30 volume lowered and the bitterness lowered, so will try a lower volume to clean the bitterness.

should i also try increasing volume? is this a related? like 19g is overextracted, would it follow that 20g might not be overextracted at the same grind and pull time? or this is not the logic?

BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 5:09pm

You're over-extracting. You can correct that with a lower ratio of wet to dry, a shorter pull time, and a lower temperature. I can't taste your beans so I can't tell you which variable is most important for them.

You'll need to make your own decisions about the micro-management of your pull.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
carz07
carz07

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 5:29pm

BubbaDude Said:

You're over-extracting. You can correct that with a lower ratio of wet to dry, a shorter pull time, and a lower temperature. I can't taste your beans so I can't tell you which variable is most important for them.

You'll need to make your own decisions about the micro-management of your pull.

Posted December 14, 2012 link

ok i will experiment, at least i know im overextracting so i will do lower pull time to see thanks bubbadude

Deus

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 9:36pm

What is the best deal on this machine right ow. I was here about a year ago and decided to wait on this machine. My heart crushes ever time I see it in the window at William Sonoma. This will be my first machine. So what is the best deal? And yes I have good grinders in mind :)
cafeespresso

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Roaster: FR 8+, SC/Turbo CO
Posted Sun Dec 16, 2012, 10:35am

Guys...I'm struggling with taming the steam on this machine. It has been the most disappointing thing about it. I'm only being successful doing a big pot (half full on the breville container that comes with it), but I usually need about 4-8oz at the most, and I hate wasting milk.

Great microfoam is a must for our daily dose of cappas.

Any links to instructional videos or tip bits would be greatly appreciated.
showing page 127 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.477693080902)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+