Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 132 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
michaelgo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 9:37am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

schuga Said:

However I am wondering if my new BDB is a 'calibrated' machine or not - my serial number begins with 1149. When pulling a double shot the manometer reads around 10.5-11 and sometimes spikes to a tad bit over this.

Posted January 3, 2013 link

My understanding is the over pressure valve should cut in around 9 bars so the machine shouldn't exceed that.  Before I got mine replaced, it would routinely spike to 13.  With the replacement, rarely over 9.5 so I'd think you've got a calibration issue.

schuga Said:

Plus I never realized that my tamper hits the sidewalls of the portafilter basket and am consistently getting the puck stuck on the brew group screen.  I have not ordered a VST portafilter basket to help alleviate this and upon the suggestion of many people within this forum.  

I have the VST and rarely get a stuck puck but it does still happen.  There's a vacuum created and it should release upon completion of the shot.  Many have found a slightly heavier dose, around 18.5 will reduce the occurance.  But it's a simple matter to just loosen the PF, hit the 1 or 2 cup button for a second to push water and drop the puck.

schuga Said:

In addition, I have ordered a naked portafilter to help me create better shots but one thing I am still not sure about is the plastic disk within the portafilter supplied by Breville.  Do I need to remove this disk or not?

I was under the impression that the newer shipments had that black disk removed so it sounds like you have a machine from old inventory.  Yes, pull the black disk.

schuga Said:

So I went through the cleaning phase but notice there was no hole in the plastic insert and the cleaning solution did not pour out through the spouts but through the 'overflow' valve (I assume).  So my question is, is this correct of should the disk have a small hole in the center?

Again, I think the newer machines have no hole in the disk as the cleaning solution should be pushed up through the dispersion screen and valve.  My older one does have the hole but i'm getting it replaced today, I can let you know if the new release has a hole in the disk or not but I think they've modified it to be holeless.

Michael
 View Profile Link to this post
JJC
JJC

Espresso: Breville 900Xl, Saeco...
Grinder: Compak K3
Roaster: Behmor, Nesco
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 9:59am

Agreeing with Michael on everything and adding that with current machines, the disc has no hole and the cleaning water overflows into the tray.
michaelgo

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 4:04pm

JJC Said:

Agreeing with Michael on everything and adding that with current machines, the disc has no hole and the cleaning water overflows into the tray.

Thanks JJC and yup, I can confirm.  My replacement has arrived, serial # starting with 1205.  No plastic insert in the PF and no hole in the rubber.  Will be pulling my first espresso in a week as soon as the filter is done soaking. LOL

Michael
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 4:30pm

michaelgo Said:

Thanks JJC and yup, I can confirm.  My replacement has arrived, serial # starting with 1205.  No plastic insert in the PF and no hole in the rubber.  Will be pulling my first espresso in a week as soon as the filter is done soaking. LOL

Michael

Damn, you've been a whole week without a shot? My sympathies, good man.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
michaelgo

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 4:36pm

BubbaDude Said:

Damn, you've been a whole week without a shot? My sympathies, good man.

Yeah, the only espresso near me is $tarbucks and Green Tea & Leaf and I refuse. LOL  My girlfriend is even worse off as she's been spoiled by me getting up with her in the early AM to send her on her way with a nice fresh latte.  I picked up some fresh roasted a few days ago and found a place not too far that has Black Cat which I guess I should try.

Anyway, got to go dial in the Vario again as I've been living out of the press pot.  Oh yeah, did I mention I got one and the SmartGrinder is gathering dust in the garage.  Craig's List here we come.

Michael
michaelgo

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 7:47pm

I figured since I have a new machine that I'd start over again.  I need to dial in the grinder but wanted to check something.  I pulled a shot using the 2-cup button and got a bit of a gusher, 18 sec total time on the shot clock but nowhere near the volume by weight.  So I'm curious.  According to the manual, the 2-cup is factory programmed to deliver 2 oz. (I'm guessing this is a liquid measure through the group head).  Assuming the grind and tamp are correct, is it reasonable that the 2 oz delivery, would deliver 36g liquid in the expected 36 or so second?
danioro
danioro

Espresso: Breville BDB, Gaggia coffee...
Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 1:52am

Pardon me for jumping in!  Noob here with new BDB and Vario, and I am sure I'll be back begging for help!

I am interested in ordering VST baskets for my BDB, but am uncertain whether to get the ridged or the plain.  Does anyone have experience with how well either one fits the PF?

Thanks!   Dan
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 5:41am

danioro Said:

Pardon me for jumping in!  Noob here with new BDB and Vario, and I am sure I'll be back begging for help!

I am interested in ordering VST baskets for my BDB, but am uncertain whether to get the ridged or the plain.  Does anyone have experience with how well either one fits the PF?

Thanks!   Dan

Posted January 6, 2013 link

Dan,

Don't apologize for "jumping in" that's what this forum is for. I just had to pop in myself as I have the same grinder as you. In answer to your question, I use a La Marzocco which, I am told, is the VST labeled as the La Marzocco. It fits fine in my standard Portafilter and also my Naked Portafilter. That having been said, I did get great results with the standard BDB single walled double basket. Just make sure to weigh the charge and take notes. Otherwise, you'll be over-caffinated and a little crazy lol.

The La Marzzorca basket was purchased from Gail and Kat @ Seattle Coffee Gear (FWIW), but there are several places to order from.

Fresh beans and a good scale are the real secret (IMHO). I have two local roasters that I can use, so, fresh beans are never a problem. The scale should be a few bucks but very necessary (JM2).

Cheers and enjoy your BDB & Vario,

Dave

edited for spelling and punctuation

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
danioro
danioro

Espresso: Breville BDB, Gaggia coffee...
Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 8:08am

Park_Ridge_Dave Said:

Dan,

Don't apologize for "jumping in" that's what this forum is for. I just had to pop in myself as I have the same grinder as you. In answer to your question, I use a La Marzocco which, I am told, is the VST labeled as the La Marzocco. It fits fine in my standard Portafilter and also my Naked Portafilter. That having been said, I did get great results with the standard BDB single walled double basket. Just make sure to weigh the charge and take notes. Otherwise, you'll be over-caffinated and a little crazy lol.

Fresh beans and a good scale are the real secret (IMHO). I have two local roasters that I can use, so, fresh beans are never a problem. The scale should be a few bucks but very necessary (JM2).

Thanks for jumping in Dave!

I guess my question for you is whether your La Marz filter has straight sides or a ridge.  I thought that the ridged version might not fit in the PF as well.

We have just moved to Peoria IL and I dont know of any roasters down here, do you?  Having said that, Chi town is a train ride away!  Are any of your roasters downtown?  Maybe I can order from them?

BTW, I am an anesthesiologist; no such thing as over caffeinatedhere, and we are all a little crazy anyway!

Dan
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 8:25am

danioro Said:

Thanks for jumping in Dave!

I guess my question for you is whether your La Marz filter has straight sides or a ridge.  I thought that the ridged version might not fit in the PF as well.

We have just moved to Peoria IL and I dont know of any roasters down here, do you?  Having said that, Chi town is a train ride away!  Are any of your roasters downtown?  Maybe I can order from them?

BTW, I am an anesthesiologist; no such thing as over caffeinatedhere, and we are all a little crazy anyway!

Dan

The La Marz has straight sides and fits snugly. (I have an old table knife that I use to pop it out. I have arthritic fingers and very brittle nails lmao).

I get my coffee from metropolis.com (Red Line Espresso) or consciouscup.com (several types of beans for French Press). Both deliver via UPS or USPS. I tend to go more with Tony (Metropolis) as That is what I have been using for 3 years. I just discovered Conscious cup. Both are good. OBTW I derive no commercial benefit from these recommendations.

I am sure other members have favorite roasters (indeed, many do their own roasting) and they may join in as well, but I may get "flamed" for hijacking this thread as it is. If you need more information or just want to chat about our set-ups just PM me.

Cheers,

Dave

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
showing page 132 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.555115938187)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+