Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 129 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DanPK

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2012, 8:42pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Thanks Jim and Jeremy for pulling out the rulers.  Even if it did just slip in, I think the heat loss would be a big concern, although the Breville Infuser that's my backup choice only gives an extra inch-and-a-half clearance, so I'm not sure that will be too much better.

Dave, the idea of a table has been broached and is under negotiation.  I also suggested we could replace a cabinet with a shorter model, giving us plenty of head room, but that has been met in my house with some skepticism.  I'm looking into what else I can throw into the bargaining to sweeten the deal.  :)

Dan
 View Profile Link to this post
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 1:05pm
Subject: Where to put your Breville

First - Hello to all from Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth... etc.

Hey Dan- For $50(USA) I found a microwave cart with wheels at Target that barely fits a 900 and a commercial grinder. I'm sure you can find something similar there. There are two shelves and hooks on the cart for your milk pitchers, bags of beans, etc. It's handy, rolls outta the way when you need it to. Still, if you have to move it a lot that'll be a PITA.

Thanx to all of you for your help in understanding my machine through these discussions!

I am SO happy with my decision to get this particular espresso machine. Oddly enough I nearly overlooked it because of the tamp! It looked built in (vs removable) and I poo-poo'd it at first. Luckily it's been out long enough to have tons of reviews, most glowing.

I have a quick question that applies to espresso in general. We (and most of my customers) live at around 5000' elevation. That's about 1524 Meters. According to an internet search the air pressure here is ~ 12lb/in or around .832 Bar. SO, is that a big deal when it comes to pulling shots? I'm thinking a pump pushing water at 9bar through a puck might be the same everywhere because it's in it's own enclosed system. Water does boil at a lower temp here too, but I'm assuming it's still water and not steam in the boiler because it's enclosed. Still, it makes me wonder. Schomer mentions in his book that he is skeptical about espresso being made at higher elevations. I'm very happy with my shots, they do run a bit more watery than those I was pulling at sea level when training in Vermont. Of course, those were triple baskets and we were doing restrettos.

If anyone has experience or opinions on elevations and espresso I'm happy to hear them.

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 5:21am

DanPK Said:

Thanks Jim and Jeremy for pulling out the rulers.  Even if it did just slip in, I think the heat loss would be a big concern, although the Breville Infuser that's my backup choice only gives an extra inch-and-a-half clearance, so I'm not sure that will be too much better.

Dave, the idea of a table has been broached and is under negotiation.  I also suggested we could replace a cabinet with a shorter model, giving us plenty of head room, but that has been met in my house with some skepticism.  I'm looking into what else I can throw into the bargaining to sweeten the deal.  :)

Dan

Posted December 18, 2012 link

Dan,

Just an "off the wall" thought. Have you considered raising your cabinets? If they do not go all the way to the ceiling, you could theoretically just take them down and raise them up a few inches. If you are a competent DIYer (No judgement intended) it is a reasonably simple (although way labor intensive) solution.

Like I'm saying, "food for thought"????

Dave

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 5:37am
Subject: Re: Where to put your Breville

PrescottCR Said:

First - Hello to all from Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth... etc.

I have a quick question that applies to espresso in general. We (and most of my customers) live at around 5000' elevation. That's about 1524 Meters. According to an internet search the air pressure here is ~ 12lb/in or around .832 Bar. SO, is that a big deal when it comes to pulling shots? I'm thinking a pump pushing water at 9bar through a puck might be the same everywhere because it's in it's own enclosed system. Water does boil at a lower temp here too, but I'm assuming it's still water and not steam in the boiler because it's enclosed. Still, it makes me wonder. Schomer mentions in his book that he is skeptical about espresso being made at higher elevations. I'm very happy with my shots, they do run a bit more watery than those I was pulling at sea level when training in Vermont. Of course, those were triple baskets and we were doing restrettos.

If anyone has experience or opinions on elevations and espresso I'm happy to hear them.

Rich

Posted December 19, 2012 link

Rich,

I believe that you probably won't have a problem pulling the shots as the pump can develop sufficient "Guage" pressure (Measured against local air pressure) to do an adequate job.

If the gauge  on the front reads 9 bar during the shot it is reading the pressure across the shot relative to pressure surrounding the machine. So 9 bar differential is 9 bar differential.

The boiling point of the water is different, as you point out, but that shouldn't affect the "pull".

You do bring up interesting questions though. I will be interested to see what the members of the forum bring to the discussion.

I have been served some most excellent shots at higher elevations (in Colorado), but, I never considered the "physics" of the situation. lol

Cheers,

Dave

majorzx3

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Brewtus II
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless
Vac Pot: french press x4
Drip: no drip
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:18pm

cafeespresso Said:

Guys...I'm struggling with taming the steam on this machine. It has been the most disappointing thing about it. I'm only being successful doing a big pot (half full on the breville container that comes with it), but I usually need about 4-8oz at the most, and I hate wasting milk.

Great microfoam is a must for our daily dose of cappas.

Any links to instructional videos or tip bits would be greatly appreciated.

Posted December 16, 2012 link

I'd like to offer a suggestion:
when you steam smaller quantities of milk, the size of the pitcher becomes an issue.  it's very difficult steaming a small amount of milk in a relatively large steaming pitcher.
having different sizes of pitchers is I think a must.  try a 12 oz size . it should help.

ESPRO makes a toroid shaped pitcher that helps if you have difficulties steaming.  it's a great tool for newbies or for machines with limited steam pressure.
they have a few videos on their website too to help with steaming
http://espro.ca/toroid/

BUMPER also makes great pitchers.   great shape but the lip could use more definition (only matters for latte art)

also if you want to spend a little more  you can always get the ROCKET pitcher  (also comes in 2 sizes) they use that most often at the barista championships, so you know it works.
it has a great shape and a well defined lip that is raised above the body, greatly helping you make  "latte art"
the following shows off the shape of the pitcher and not the art of steaming :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFl2cyYQAlg

then again YMMV.
Zed

oh yeah,  some reading material:
"The Milk Frothing Guide"
sn_85

Espresso: Quick Mill Andreja Premium
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 12:54am

majorzx3 Said:

also if you want to spend a little more  you can always get the ROCKET pitcher  (also comes in 2 sizes) they use that most often at the barista championships, so you know it works.
it has a great shape and a well defined lip that is raised above the body, greatly helping you make  "latte art"
the following shows off the shape of the pitcher and not the art of steaming :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFl2cyYQAlg

Posted December 20, 2012 link

The Rocket pitchers are basically rebadged Motta Europa frothing pitchers.  Unless you really want the Rocket branding it's cheaper to get the Motta's and they offer more sizes.
cafeespresso

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Roaster: FR 8+, SC/Turbo CO
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 7:32am

I love the PID feature....Red Bird at 198, very very different and better than at 201
DanPK

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 7:40am

Park_Ridge_Dave Said:

Dan,

Just an "off the wall" thought. Have you considered raising your cabinets? If they do not go all the way to the ceiling, you could theoretically just take them down and raise them up a few inches. If you are a competent DIYer (No judgement intended) it is a reasonably simple (although way labor intensive) solution.

Like I'm saying, "food for thought"????

Dave

Posted December 20, 2012 link

Dave,
Our cabinets are against the ceiling, unfortunately, so that won't work.  I could try to swap out a cabinet for a shorter one, but they don't seem to be made in our color anymore.  I think a small table somewhere is the best option.  Thanks, Rich, for the suggestion, that might be just the ticket.

Looking forward to getting to discuss the shot-pulling/milk-frothing/espresso-enjoying process rather than just the logistics of making it fit in my kitchen!

Dan
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 9:05am

DanPK Said:

Dave,
Our cabinets are against the ceiling, unfortunately, so that won't work.  I could try to swap out a cabinet for a shorter one, but they don't seem to be made in our color anymore.  I think a small table somewhere is the best option.  Thanks, Rich, for the suggestion, that might be just the ticket.

Looking forward to getting to discuss the shot-pulling/milk-frothing/espresso-enjoying process rather than just the logistics of making it fit in my kitchen!

Dan

Posted December 21, 2012 link

Bummer Dude! Cart it is then??? All kidding (who's kidding?;-) aside, I look forward to seeing you ask questions. That's what the forum is for. I find out new things every day here. And I am looking into the "volumetric filling" logic on the machine. I am not quite ready to start that topic as I am still performing "tests" to figure out just what to ask! So far I am still doing a little "head scratching".

Dave

BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 7:25pm

Park_Ridge_Dave Said:

Bummer Dude!

Posted December 21, 2012 link

I would just move to a better house.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
showing page 129 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.530415058136)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+