Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 131 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JJC
JJC
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville 900Xl, Saeco...
Grinder: Compak K3
Roaster: Behmor, Nesco
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 11:02am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Michael,

Going along with Peter's comments.

Can you give us some info on your machine's "vintage"?
Especially the serial #.
As I remember the Aussie forum experiences, it was mostly early serial #'s that had the O-ring failure.

Jim
 View Profile Link to this post
gibson00

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 6:27am

Hi all, I just noticed that Amazon.ca has this machine on sale for $899.....very tempting...
Just wondering, how is Breville's customer service for this machine in Canada?  Anyone here have to have their machine or parts of machine replced in Canada?  Any issues?
I have a good blade grinder from walmart, so next step is a good machine!......................... ............................just kidding. :)
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 8:45am

Well the family has all left so after I'll reach out to Breville this afternoon and see what they tell me.  It just seems odd that the 0 ring would fail immediately after a cleaning cycle.  Serial number is 1144-003845 and is a replaced for my original; the first was a victim of the over pressure issue.

I haven't tried either the 1 or 2 cup buttons as I only brew in manual mode.  I'll update you all after I speak with Breville later today.

Michael
JJC
JJC

Espresso: Breville 900Xl, Saeco...
Grinder: Compak K3
Roaster: Behmor, Nesco
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 8:52am

Michael,

I think that is an early one.
I had one with that serial # starting digits set back in March and it seemed to be relatively
old stock at that time as the OPV replacement had a serial # starting with 1150.
michaelgo

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 9:00am

JJC Said:

Michael,

I think that is an early one.
I had one with that serial # starting digits set back in March and it seemed to be relatively
old stock at that time as the OPV replacement had a serial # starting with 1150.

Posted December 28, 2012 link

It probably is a recalibrated machine from the original batch but it's been flawless until now.  I've sent Breville an e-mail as I just don't have time to talk with them until this afternoon and wanted to get the ball rolling.

Michael
michaelgo

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 10:04am

Breville has offered to replace the machine or offered an"alternative" solution.  I don't have the details as we ended the day without further conversation.  USA is very helpful but their solution seems to just replace.  It's nice there is no questions asked, just an immediate swap out but I would like to see what's going on inside the machine and what the actual problem is.

I'll post more when I know more.  You all have a wonderful New Year.

Michael
gibson00

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 11:39am

FYI, Breville Canada did the same thing for me when I had bought one of their $350 juicers.  Had some odd vibration going on.  They promptly sent me a new one with a return shipping label for the old.  If nothing else, they seem to have sterling customer service.
Still on the fence about the espresso machine......my poor visa......
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 12:12am

gibson00 Said:

Hi all, I just noticed that Amazon.ca has this machine on sale for $899.....very tempting...
Just wondering, how is Breville's customer service for this machine in Canada?  Anyone here have to have their machine or parts of machine replced in Canada?  Any issues?
I have a good blade grinder from walmart, so next step is a good machine!......................... ............................just kidding. :)

Posted December 28, 2012 link

Having dealt with them multiple times with regard to the BDB I can say that the customer service at Breville Canada is excellent. However, their solutions are to either replace or refund.
schuga

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Breville SmartGrinder
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 7:54am

Sorry, if this has been asked many times during the thread but it is 100 pages long and have read a lot of the current thread. I am new creating my own espresso and have just purchased a BDB and have been experimenting with grinds and correct amount.  

However I am wondering if my new BDB is a 'calibrated' machine or not - my serial number begins with 1149. When pulling a double shot the manometer reads around 10.5-11 and sometimes spikes to a tad bit over this.

Plus I never realized that my tamper hits the sidewalls of the portafilter basket and am consistently getting the puck stuck on the brew group screen.  I have not ordered a VST portafilter basket to help alleviate this and upon the suggestion of many people within this forum.  

In addition, I have ordered a naked portafilter to help me create better shots but one thing I am still not sure about is the plastic disk within the portafilter supplied by Breville.  Do I need to remove this disk or not?

Further I has no idea that running water through the machine more than seven seconds adds to the machines 'shot count' and have already has the 'clean me' flash on the LED screen.  So I went through the cleaning phase but notice there was no hole in the plastic insert and the cleaning solution did not pour out through the spouts but through the 'overflow' valve (I assume).  So my question is, is this correct of should the disk have a small hole in the center?

Lastly, thank goodness for forums like this one as it really helps the newbie (like myself) learn how to make better and more enjoyable espresso.

Cheers,
Chip
njgsx96

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 9:01am

We got this beast for my father for Christmas and so far we are loving it.   I love espresso and cappuccino so we are having a great time figuring out how much coffee and what grind to use to get a good pull at 9-11 bar.  We are tryign different coffees as well and are finding that anything we put through this machine definitely tastes stronger than his previous machine but also tastes better!  the only issue we are having is with the milk.  Has anyone had trouble frothing milk?  on his previous machine we were able to get a nice velvety texture but with this machine we seem to just make hot milk.  It looks velvety but that is as far as we get.  He is currently using the pitcher that comes with it although i haev a smaller one on order.  We tried full steam, half stam, watched all of the videos online and still are having a heck of a time.  I would love to make some latte art.  Any tips and tricks?
showing page 131 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.410472869873)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+