Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
VST Baskets: Which Tamper?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > VST Baskets:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 2:44pm
Subject: Re: VST Baskets: Which Tamper?

emradguy Said:

Does anyone know the difference between the La Marzocco Strada baskets and the VST baskets, other than the dose weight ratings on the VSTs?

Posted December 21, 2012 link

I have a feeling the standard double strada basket is identical to the 18g vst.

I just got my 18g ridgeless vst from chris' and the box says 18g but the basket says 17g on the lip and the side wall.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 3:56pm

that's been my thought as well, but so far, it's only been supposition.  I bought 2 Strada triple and 2 Strada double baskets from Chris' some time ago, back when I thought they were exactly the same, but going by 2 different names.  At the time, Chris' was only carrying the Stradas.  Can't say I've tried all that hard to research the difference...but have become more and more curious of late.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
TonyVan

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012, 5:35am

You'll find several threads here and on H-B discussing the VST/Strada basket differences.  The short summary is that LM uses much of the VST process in producing and testing the Strada baskets, but the LM Strada baskets are manufactured in different factories and don't come out to the same standards. The baskets sold by VST directly from the VST site - or resold by others specifically with the VST brand - are considered superior to those sold by LM under the Strada name.

Experiences like the one related here - that favor the flat tamper - are typical. The VST basket design rewards consistency, both in terms of puck thickness (top and bottom surfaces plano-parallel) and density (having the coffee in that puck ruthlessly homogenous). Most of us have found this to be best accomplished by stripping all the bells and whistles (nutating etc.) out of the basket-preparation routine.  These tics generally introduce inconsistencies that may have helped before in a two-wrongs-make-a-right sort of compensation.  But the finer grind and edge-to-edge consistency with the VSTs seem to expose those flaws.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012, 6:01am

TonyVan Said:

You'll find several threads here and on H-B discussing the VST/Strada basket differences.  The short summary is that LM uses much of the VST process in producing and testing the Strada baskets, but the LM Strada baskets are manufactured in different factories and don't come out to the same standards. The baskets sold by VST directly from the VST site - or resold by others specifically with the VST brand - are considered superior to those sold by LM under the Strada name. .

Posted December 22, 2012 link

Would you mind posting some links to these discussions on the VST vs Strada? My searches only bring up the CG thread and your post. http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/general/586308#586308 I am not trying argue but I think I am pretty good at searches and I just can't find anything to support what you are saying. If true I will be pretty upset with Chris' and in general that I bought Strada baskets with the advertisement that they where VST basket.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Dec 22, 2012, 8:28am

LM helped sponsor the VST development for use with the Strada, so we can reasonably believe that the baskets are essentially the same.  I'm under the impression that the Q/C is a bit more stringent for the VST branded baskets with the complete tracking and serialization....but essentially they are the same product.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012, 7:29am

JonR10 Said:

LM helped sponsor the VST development for use with the Strada, so we can reasonably believe that the baskets are essentially the same.  I'm under the impression that the Q/C is a bit more stringent for the VST branded baskets with the complete tracking and serialization....but essentially they are the same product.

Posted December 22, 2012 link

Hi Jon:

Comparisons are complicated by the fact that there are actually TWO lines of La Marzocco baskets, the "Strada" and the "Advanced Precision Filter Basket." According to this document, the "Advanced Precision filters" are not imaged or scanned.

My understanding is as follows:

All the baskets were designed by VST.
All the baskets are manufactured using similar technology.
Every VST and Strada basket is scanned for quality control (size and uniformity of holes, combined hole area, circularity, quality of hole size distribution, centeredness of perforated area, etc).
VST baskets must pass imaging tests with a higher quality score (tighter tolerances) than Strada baskets.
Advanced Precision baskets are not scanned, so their quality can vary. In fact, there is no way to tell if the basket meets any specification w/o imaging it. *
VST baskets have different hole patterns compared to LM.
VST baskets have different side taper profiles and radii compared to LM (to allow pucks to knock out more easily).
VST baskets hold tighter inside diameter tolerances compared to LM, for more consistent fit to a fixed tamper size.
VST baskets are warranted for one year against all defects (I don't know what the LM warranty is).
VST offers a 20g size, which is the official basket for the WBC, USBC regionals, UKBC, etc.
VST offers both ridged and ridge-less styles of all sizes.

• (FYI, the rejection rate on VST scanned baskets is proprietary, but it is definitely NOT zero. No manufacturing process is free of obvious and/or non-obvious defects, hence the need for quality control/imaging of all baskets).

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012, 9:24am

andys Said:

Comparisons are complicated by the fact that there are actually TWO lines of La Marzocco baskets, the "Strada" and the "Advanced Precision Filter Basket." According to this document, the "Advanced Precision filters" are not imaged or scanned.

Posted December 23, 2012 link

Thanks Andy, that helps to clear things up.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > VST Baskets:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.435773134232)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+