Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Upgrading to HX or dual boiler machine
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrading to HX...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
Author Messages

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 12:55am
Subject: Re: Upgrading to HX or dual boiler machine

CharityV Said:

Wow. So I'm sure this is not the intent of any of these helpful posts, but I'm actually leaning towards a non-plumb-able machine just because plumbing it is starting to sound so complicated! And really, refilling the water reservoir is only a minor irritant for me, I suppose. But since it looks like we'll be staying in our house for the long haul, plumbing in made long-term sense.

Posted December 29, 2012 link

It isn't difficult if you are at all handy.  My machine has no tank option and requires the drip tray drain to be plumbed as well. I did all mine myself, including the drain for the drip tray which goes into the house waste water system - and I'm no plumber !  Because of where I live it is all done with European fittings and pipe dimensions, so I can't give you detailed advice on what to buy, except that good quality stuff always pays in the long run.

For most people the tricky part is getting the water supply to the area where you have the machine. If that is easy to arrange, you are most of the way there.

Fitting a pressure regulator is no big deal.  You will need one if you have a machine with a rotary pump that does not have a balanced by-pass. Some people recommend them anyway for all machines. The manufacturer/supplier will be able to advise you on that. It fits in-line with the pipe work and will probably have simple compression joints or some may even be push-fit.  An in-line filter is similarly pretty simple, as is a non-return valve (sensible - may not be essential, but your local regulations may demand one) and a means of turning off the supply to the machine.   You may decide on a more complex setup which lets you by-pass filters etc.. With the right bits, that is also quite easy to do.

I'm old school and prefer copper pipework and commercial grade brass/copper fittings, but I have read others have used plastic stuff successfully. Once you have the right bits not a difficult job, and you would not regret it.

The simple filter versus softener question isn't complicated, although it may have been made to sound so.  If you have hard water, soften it if you want to avoid frequent descaling, the same as you would with a tank.  If you have soft water, don't.  If you filter the water you drink, include an in-line filter.  If you don't, a filter isn't 100% essential, but if you're plumbing anyway it is worthwhile fitting one.

There are lots of posts on here showing how people have arranged their plumbing.  Some are very good. Others - well let's say, they aren't as neat as they might be - but they work  ;o))
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 9:16am

CharityV Said:

Wow. So I'm sure this is not the intent of any of these helpful posts, but I'm actually leaning towards a non-plumb-able machine just because plumbing it is starting to sound so complicated!

No, it's not.  Honest.

CharityV Said:

And really, refilling the water reservoir is only a minor irritant for me, I suppose.

Very few things in life are "mandatory," but do you want to stand in front of your car with a crank to start the engine, or do you want to stick a key in the ignition?  Heck, my wife's car has a key; mine has a button.  Yesterday, I caught myself complaining to my daughter that I had to unbuckle my seat belt and unzip my jacket so I could reach into my pocket and pull out the key because I was in my wife's car and forgot . . . silly, right?  But once you are used to pushing a button, having to pull out a key can seem like a pain.  ;^)

Charity, you think plumbing sounds complicated?  a) it's easy; b) replacing the filters periodically is easy; c) constantly having to re-fill the reservoir AND empty the drip tray is a real P.I.T.A.  

No one I know who has a plumbed-in machine has ever said it was a mistake to do it.  No one I know who has a plumbed-in machine would ever voluntarily go back to pourover . . .

CharityV Said:

But since it looks like we'll be staying in our house for the long haul, plumbing in made long-term sense.

More sense than you now know.  Honest.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
CoffeeRon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 9:33am

+1 on what Jason said! Once you've enjoyed the convenience of a plumbed in machine you'll never want to go back :)
CharityV
CharityV
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Le'lit PL041
Grinder: Rocky DL
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 9:37am

LOL, thanks guys! I'll talk to the husband. since he and my father-in-law built our house and did the plumbing themselves, I'm sure they can figure out how to plumb in an espresso machine. Randy's helpful website articles should be a good place to start. :)

The Andreja is looking pretty good then, by default, since it's the only one I was considering with the ability to be plumbed.
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrading to HX...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.481795787811)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+