Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 250 of 265 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 12:11pm
Subject: built in grinder

While I agree with the theory about the heat of the machine being bad for the beans in the grinder I have to say that I've pulled shots with a BES870 (Barista Express) and they were just fine. That machine, at that price point is a really good deal.

Ceramic is nice because a of the durability and less heat, however once it heats up it stays hot (slow to gain, slow to lose). On our little home grinders I really doubt it matters much. On a commercial grinder like that does 21gm in 3 seconds, yeah it matters.

For those of us who already have a grinder the point is moot. For new comers who don't have much space on a counter top, the included grinder is attractive. Just like a TV/VCR combo, you can always get better equipment that fits your needs if you buy them separately.

The great thing about your home system is that you can design it the way you want.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 12:18pm
Subject: Re: built in grinder

PrescottCR Said:

While I agree with the theory about the heat of the machine being bad for the beans in the grinder I have to say that I've pulled shots with a BES870 (Barista Express) and they were just fine. That machine, at that price point is a really good deal.

Posted December 17, 2013 link

Of course, you don't have to leave beans in the machine between shots if you don't want to, so there is that.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
ryguy76

Espresso: BES900 Dual Boiler
Grinder: BCG800 Smart Grinder
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013, 4:20pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Hi guys,

I've had my dual boiler since it was released in Canada, (almost 2 years).  It's been great and still is, but I started noticing a funny noise recently when extracting and doing back flush cleans.  It's almost like an annoying buzzer sound from the original "Operation" game.  It can be quiet or loud, but it's starting to be heard in every extraction now.

Any ideas of what it could be?

Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 8:19am

Are you willing to open it up? At this point you don't have anything to lose, I'm assuming your warranty is up. It's not a difficult task, you just need the right drivers.

The pump itself could be the source of your buzzing, or that general area. My home machine is much buzzier than my work machine, for example.

Bubba- yes, you can remove the hopper and why not! I would suggest doing that, but the whole grinder internals including the burrs are subjected to the machine heat at all times and that's not helped by removing the beans. Being concerned about the beans being heated that much might be over-precaution anyway.

As with any grinder I recommend running about 1/2 a dose of beans through the grinder before pulling a first shot or if it's been more than 5 minutes between shots just for freshness sake. The bigger the grinder the more stale ground coffee is left behind. Little grinders might be slower than the pro grinders, but they waste less coffee for you!
ryguy76

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 9:37am

Ya, I've opened it to do the OPV adjustment awhile back, but I'm not sure how to begin troubleshooting this issue.  ideas?
biochemgawd

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 5:32pm

One of my machines is doing this intermittently - sounds like the OPV or 3way is sticking - pressure drops significantly when it does it. Also, once it stops it doesn't start again during a shot.

Why don't we try to figure this out together? I'll open up my machine tomorrow morning and try to locate the source of the clicking.
ryguy76

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 8:43pm

Sounds good.  I'll see if I can get a moment tomorrow, but being xmas eve, it might be a stretch.  Today it was lessened, but I do think it's OPV related.
biochemgawd

Posted Tue Dec 24, 2013, 12:01pm

ryguy76 Said:

Sounds good.  I'll see if I can get a moment tomorrow, but being xmas eve, it might be a stretch.  Today it was lessened, but I do think it's OPV related.

Posted December 23, 2013 link

Had mine open today for an hour - wouldn't make the sound no matter what I did. The solution seems to be loosening and retightening the screws on the case ;-)
Metatron

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: BDB900
Posted Tue Dec 24, 2013, 1:16pm

biochemgawd Said:

One of my machines is doing this intermittently - sounds like the OPV or 3way is sticking - pressure drops significantly when it does it. Also, once it stops it doesn't start again during a shot.

Why don't we try to figure this out together? I'll open up my machine tomorrow morning and try to locate the source of the clicking.

Posted December 23, 2013 link

Click Here (coffeesnobs.com.au)

My BDB is 26 months old with 3000 shots and still going strong. I guess one issue that comes up is the o-rings on the 3 way valve which may be the problem here. I bookmarked this page from coffeesnobs in case I had to do any repairs. The o-ring sizes are near the bottom of the page. I think I would use silicone o-rings rather than viton as viton is not recommended for high pressure hot water.
biochemgawd

Posted Tue Dec 24, 2013, 2:22pm

]

Metatron Said:

Click Here (coffeesnobs.com.au)

My BDB is 26 months old with 3000 shots and still going strong. I guess one issue that comes up is the o-rings on the 3 way valve which may be the problem here. I bookmarked this page from coffeesnobs in case I had to do any repairs. The o-ring sizes are near the bottom of the page. I think I would use silicone o-rings rather than viton as viton is not recommended for high pressure hot water.

Posted December 24, 2013 link

Thanks - probably worth buying these either way.
showing page 250 of 265 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.445154905319)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+