Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Can the goopy, perfect pull please stand up?
Guatemala Classic Bourbon
Temblor - exceptionally smooth, rich coffee with notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate. Only at
www.thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Can the goopy,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 3:38pm
Subject: Can the goopy, perfect pull please stand up?

So I feel like I've tried it all--Grinding fine and tamping lightly, grinding coarse and tamping firmly, single origins, blends, NSEW, overdosing, underdosing, twisting, not twisting, WDT, you name it. I still can't get a pull like I see in pictures and videos online. My shots all tend to start off that way, but seem choked until they start to flow into a relatively thin, but quick-moving blond stream that hugs the bottom of the basket. I know this indicates channeling, but I feel like no matter what guide I follow it still happens. I'm new to the VST baskets and have tried to compensate for my previous center-heavy technique of tamping. My shots come out with a decent half inch pillow of crema and seem to taste okay, but the pour just looks...ugly. I know we're not in this for beauty pageants and that taste is king, but I really feel like I'm missing some component to this. At this point I'm going to guess that either my flushing routine is off (darker pours indicate higher temps?) or that my beans are not actually suited for a really pretty pour. I'm roasting single origins at home to a light city and I buy various light roast blends from Panache in Portland. I've been scared off of doing medium or dark roasts because I keep reading that anything with oil showing on the surface will gum up your grinder.

I think I need help getting back on track. Thanks, as always, for the sage wisdom.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 3:47pm
Subject: Re: Can the goopy, perfect pull please stand up?

maybe you can post a video?

you're in Seattle...or near enough, right? why don't you look around for 1) a class somewhere that has them regularly/occasionally, or 2) a barista who serves you great drinks who might be willing to come to your house for an hour or two (I hear cash, alcohol and food are good incentives for this).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 12:41pm

I have given up on the slow pulls till I get the restrictors installed.  When you do a really slow pull on the Oscar it makes then end tasted a bit over cooked.  I will let you know how it goes after I get the mod done.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 2:06pm

Here is the Dean method ;)

I find that the tamp is very important for me, even though a lot of people report that its not. I have made up my own method that contains some Weiss distribution techniques (but only on the top of the grounds), a 15 degree tilt of the tamper while rolling around the outside of the grounds in the portafilter (using only the weight of the tamper) and then a 30 lb press followed by a polish. I find that my results are not as good if I try the Weiss distribution method all the way to the bottom of the grounds. I only go down about 1/3 of the way into the grounds with the needle.

I know that this method is probably laughable to the staunchest coffee drinkers, but it works for me. It is still not 100% the same every time though but usually pretty close. I seldom have any squirters and even though I have been using my new machine for two months, I still use a bottomless portafilter and observe every shot. I tamp every shot the same and then I adjust the grind to make the shot longer or shorter as needed. I weigh the coffee each time and I also use a convex tamper but not sure that makes much difference. My feeling is that you have to get as many things as possible as consistant as you can to ever be able to control the quality of the shot on a repeatable basis.

The rest of the story: Years ago I used a cheap espresso machine, cheap grinder and didn't know I needed to worry about all this stuff and I don't think I have ever enjoyed coffee any more that I did in the old days with the cheap equipment and blissful innocence.. go figure!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Can the goopy,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.342566013336)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+