Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Between these 2 expresso machines, which one should I purchase?
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Between these 2...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Dylanstandard2444

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 5:45pm
Subject: Between these 2 expresso machines, which one should I purchase?

Ive been looking up alot of reviews and still I am not sure which one i should choose. Which out of these 2 models do you recommend buying:

- Sunbeam Piccollo EM2800  

- Breville BES250 Café Venezia

Thankyou
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 6:54pm
Subject: Re: Between these 2 expresso machines, which one should I purchase?

"How to Buy an Espresso Machine"

welcome to coffee geek1 of the first things you must learn is that it is spelled  espresso there is no X in the word next the thing you should learn is that the grinder is more important than the machine. please read our F A Q on how to buy an espresso machine. what is the reason you chose those 2 machines?we need to know a lot more about your habits and what you expect to get from the machine before we can even start to direct you towards one.
what is your budget
how many espressos the day are you going to make
how many espresso at the time are you going to make
what kind of other drinks are you going to make and how many of them a day and at a time are you going to do this
what is your budget for a grinder
do you plan on using fresh beans fresh is define as less than 2 weeks from the date they were roasted if there is a Best Buy date on the bag they are stale before you got out of bed the morning so do not buy them.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 10:04pm

Name two worth buying, and we'd be happy to make recommendations . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 10:42pm

The Espro press.. oh... not a choice? poo
A cheap grinder and the espro press would be easier, more dependable, and make better coffee than either of them.. IF fed good beans.

You will not get much of a positive response on either of those machines around here. or, dare I say, on any other serious coffee forum either.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
revolver1978
revolver1978
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: --
Drip: --
Roaster: --
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 7:43am

If you're not planning on grinding per drink (or not planning on getting a grinder period, which I'm guessing your not) you could pick one of these up for pod coffee. . . . but it's a shame to spend that much for pod coffee. (And some would say, it's a shame to drink pod coffee at all!)

Machines like this, I think, are a reason people become dismayed with home espresso. They don't perform well, are somewhat disposable in build quality, and ignore much of what makes you local coffeehouse so special - fresh ground beans, correct temperatures, and fine milk foam. A lot of people (myself included) spend $200 on an espresso machine and a can of Illy and are disappointed that what comes out isn't anywhere nearly as good as my local coffee house.

Put another way, ask yourself how involved you want to get with this home hobby and how much importance you put on coffee enjoyment. I'd equate it to people who drink wine. Some people order the blush and love it; others find it a travesty.

For example, by brother has a Tassimo and loves it. He couldn't be happier, and for him, it makes a great latte. I don't feel the same way, but it works for him - just like trying different beans and buying espresso a half pound at a time, grinding for each shot, and having organic whole milk on hand works for me.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:46pm

Dylanstandard2444 Said:

Ive been looking up alot of reviews and still I am not sure which one i should choose. Which out of these 2 models do you recommend buying:

- Sunbeam Piccollo EM2800  

- Breville BES250 Café Venezia

Thankyou

Posted December 27, 2012 link

as others have said...NEITHER.

I agree with Randy (frcn) that the Espro press is awesome.  In fact, I bought mine on his recommendation, and have found it to make the best non-espresso I've had in many, many years....but you're looking for an espresso machine.  Oh wait, no...you're looking for an eXpresso machine.  Those don't exist.  What you want is an eSpresso machine!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Dylanstandard2444

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 7:31am
Subject: Re: Between these 2 espresso machines, which one should I purchase?

Ok i get it about the spelling of eSpresso..

i just want a recommendation on what eSpresso machine to buy, i know that it takes a good quality grinder to get good quality coffee.

I want a machine with a wand and a shot handle, i dont want to spend over $150.

I thought writing a post on this place would be helpful because all you guys are real experts with it all!

thank you all for your replies and more will be much appreciated!!
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 9:40am
Subject: Re: Between these 2 espresso machines, which one should I purchase?

Dylan, no one is saying you need to spend thousands of dollars on a setup for espresso, but you do have to spend something and -- sorry -- $150 is an impossible budget.  You're way too low.

You come here asking us which of two truly crappy machines you should buy, and the answer is "neither one."  Yet you don't respond to the the questions Wayne (calblacksmith) asked you, so what would you like us to do?

Let's try again.

Standard Questions:
1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at ay one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pourover machine with its own reservoir?
5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?

Here are more things to keep in mind:

The Four M's of Espresso:
1) the Macinazione is the grinder, and with it, the correct grinding of the coffee beans;
2) the Miscela is the coffee beans/blend itself;
3) the Macchina is the espresso machine; and
4) the Mano is the skilled hand of the barista.  

All four are important.  Nothing is more important than the grinder.

/ / / / /

Babbie's Rule of Fifteens:
-- Green (unroasted) coffee beans should be roasted within 15 months, or they go stale.
-- Roasted coffee beans should be ground within 15 days, or they go stale.
-- Ground coffee should be used within 15 minutes, or it goes stale.

You cannot expect to make decent (let alone great) espresso without a grinder.  

The least expensive (new) espresso machines I feel comfortable in recommending sell for $375-429.  The least expensive (new) grinders I feel comfortable in recommending sell in the $300-500 range.

For $150 total?  You can try eBay or craigslist, but I think you'll more in the "thrift store/garage sale" realm.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 10:59am

Dylan,

Used Starbucks Barista/Estro Profi/Estro Vapore/Rio Vapore/Saeco Classico/Saeco Aroma/Saeco Via Venezia/Proteo Barista (these are all essentially the same thing). Check Craigslist, you'll probably find at least one or two. Also, pick up a Hario Skerton hand grinder for under $40 on Amazon. It may fall within your budget and provide you a surprisingly decent espresso for the money. The Saeco's can be upgraded to non-pressurized portafilters and made to make a respectable cup, depending on your determination and skill level. Good luck!

Here you go:

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

It's even got an adorable (if slightly messy) burr grinder in it to get you started, as well as a real steam wand that will help you learn to steam lattes, rather than a panarello. This machine will kick the butt of both the ones you mentioned.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Between these 2...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.46129989624)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+