Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Does my dream machine exist? :)
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Does my dream...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
AreGar
AreGar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Ranchilio Silvia
Grinder: Ranchilio Rocky x2
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 12:25pm
Subject: Does my dream machine exist? :)

I've had a Silvia for some years and it works very well.
However I'm dreaming of a machine with two gruppes, one steamer and one hot water dispenser.
This machine should obviously be able to make anywhere from 1 to 4 shots at the time and preferably be able to steam as well as making shots.
In addition it should be connectible to water for automatic refill and waste water, if it also would have an option to use a tank of water it would be great.

Soo... Does this machine exist? :)
Probably not going to get a new maker yet but if such a machine does exist Id like to know what it costs, so I can follow used markets and maybe get one properly discounted.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 1:10pm
Subject: Re: Does my dream machine exist? :)

Get your plumber and electrical upgrade to your coffee bar before you bring that baby home.  You are talking about a commercial unit.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 2:32pm

Soo... Does this machine exist? :)

Of course it does. Anything that people want that is easy to provide exists.
Here it is in a Connecticut dealer for less than $7000.
Click Here

All commercial 2 group machines are going to fit your criteria:

However I'm dreaming of a machine with two gruppes, one steamer and one hot water dispenser.
This machine should obviously be able to make anywhere from 1 to 4 shots at the time and preferably be able to steam as well as making shots.

and for:

In addition it should be connectible to water for automatic refill and waste water, if it also would have an option to use a tank of water it would be great.

You can put your intake hose in a water bottle if you like.  Just keep an eye on it. Don't destroy a nice pump running it dry just because you want to run a machine in an uncivilized place without adequate plumbing.
I would advise getting two machines.  One for the location where it's plumbed in if plumbing in is so important, and a second, less expensive travel machine that can live in your office most of the time but go with you when you travel so you don't have to settle for what passes for espresso in hotels. A crappy little $150 thing is going to be good enough to make a hotel room with no stove bearable.

Have a browse at all commercial two-groups available from reputable dealers in your area.  Find out who services them and what they prefer to work on. They will have parts and experience for what they're comfortable with. If you really didn't know that machines like this were commonplace, you shouldn't be thinking that you're going to be maintaining it yourself.

Since you are considering buying used, study them for a while. There's a lot more to think about than your above criteria. Do you want Automatic or Semi? Do you want to keep it for a long time or replace it when the next good deal comes your way? Do you care what it ooks like or just how it works? etc.
It might be a good idea to not buy the first one you see. Wait for the first one that is truly a good deal.  Waiting gives you more time to think.
AreGar
AreGar

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 2:47am

Thanks for the answers.
As mentioned I'm not planning to buy yet but would like to know a bit more about the options, also I'd like to know what to keep my eyes open for in used markets.

As far as I've seen all two group machines have two steamers as well. I was thinking of a machine with only one steamer as I would enjoy making 4 shots at once but will never use more than one steamer.
Automatic or manual, I don't know what I prefer.. Probably would be happy either way.

The market for these professional machines in Norway is rather limited so there are no dealers in "my area" as such.
And for such a device as this, I'd like to have it for years when I settle for a machine.

My Silvia is working just fine and I will probably keep it for a couple of years more, especially every Xmas I want more groups due to guests wanting coffee :)

After a little googling I'm must say I enjoy the looks of Rancilio Epoca S2, seems to have a bit more "kitchen friendly" look than many other commercial machines. Also the price of 4800 USD seems to be rather affordable in this segment.
AreGar
AreGar

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 4:05am

After a bit more googling I realize that there are several machines with one steamer...
But not as good looking as the Ranchilio machine.. Seems to be available for about 2500 which is around the amount I was expecting..
diggi
diggi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 5:23am

basic reply, I know, but did you realize that there are many 1 group machines that might be adequate for you at a significant reduced price. Heat exchanger or double boiler units can make back-to-back shots very quickly. My speed wouldn't benefit from a two group machine, as I am moving at maximum speed to keep up to my 1 group machine. Two capps in under ~3mins (guessing off top of head) with my double boiler unit.

This is much different from your single boiler unit where making multiple drinks is very annoying....I realize this is pretty basic and sorry if I'm insulting your intelligence, but sometimes these simple replies are often overlooked to try to satisfy your request.
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 8:24am

Welcome to Coffeegeek!
Since it seems you are in Norway, there may be a good marked for used commercial machines.  Have you checked into some retail dealers or resalers, maybe even eBay or Restaurant Supply houses?  

Norway uses 220V circuits in domestic construction, so all you need is a 15A or 20A electrical service line and you could easily run a commercial machine from large bottles (as I do) or plumb in to a water line with a filter and softener.

Again, welcome!

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AreGar
AreGar

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013, 6:04am

16A plug isn't a problem.
However I am thinking that I might be able to "live with" a HX/dual boiler as well.

Just bought an open porta filter and it doesn't seem to take long time to heat, so I guess my need for dual grip is a bit exaggerated.
I have my eyes on a Rancilio Epoca S1 and might get one i I see one used for a good price. This is as far as I've read a good machine and looks smashing :)

Otherwise I'm thinking of getting a PID for my Silvia, I guess it will make things a bit better for the time beeing, even though I feel that I'm getting the hang of temp surfing :)
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 2:09pm

AreGar Said:

Just bought an open porta filter and it doesn't seem to take long time to heat, so I guess my need for dual grip is a bit exaggerated.

Posted January 12, 2013 link

It probably is unless you have experience with using both groups simultaneously.  I've seen baristas doing so and they're extremely busy when running multiple groups.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Does my dream...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.42244887352)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+