Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Lelit, rancilio or gaggia.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Lelit, rancilio...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Ameliej

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 12:41pm
Subject: Lelit, rancilio or gaggia.

I've been shopping for a espresso machine in the last few weeks and narrowed it down to 3 machines, SBDU due to budget limitation.

Gaggia Classic (599$ CAN)
Rancilio Miss Silvia v3 (659 CAN)
Lelit p41TEM (with PID) (649 CAN)

But can't decide which one to buy...
I read about how long the Miss Silvia takes long to heat.
About how inconvenient the Lelit is to add water in the water tank...and the steam wand being to short.
As for the Gaggia...bofbof...read it was finicky about the grind and the plastic steam wand.

Here is some more info :
I drink lattes, my husband espressos. We rarely have to make more than 3 shots at a time. The machine is to be used every day, but no heavy use.
Gaggia and Rancilio service is available if the machine breaks. Lelit service?..forget it.
We already own a decent grinder

My budget is $750, PID included.

I had a breville roma espresso machine for 8 years until it broke, and worked in a coffee shop 10 years ago...i'm not a newbie to coffee, yet haven't owned a decent machine yet...

Any advice for me on which one to buy?
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 1:34pm
Subject: Re: Lelit, rancilio or gaggia.

Before we talk machines what kind of grinder do you have?

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Ameliej

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 1:49pm

Baratza virtuoso
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 2:23pm

The steps in the virtuoso are pretty wide.  I only recommend the preciso and up for espresso unless you are using the pressurized basket.  Which is not the best thing to do but it allows you to get away with a less capable grinder.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 6:18pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

The steps in the virtuoso are pretty wide.  I only recommend the preciso and up for espresso unless you are using the pressurized basket.  Which is not the best thing to do but it allows you to get away with a less capable grinder.

Posted December 27, 2012 link

I agree, though you may be able to shim the Virtuoso and get it to work, and lose some of the coarse grinding.

The machine choice is difficult at those prices.  Is the US, the Gaggia Classic is about $375 and then a good buy.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 7:02pm

This thread shows a better price for the Classic and OP is also in Canada???

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/607723#607723

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
revolver1978
revolver1978
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: --
Drip: --
Roaster: --
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 7:47am

Would you consider buying used? Gaggia Classics and Silvias are on eBay all the time. . . or maybe Amazon marketplace?
Ameliej

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 3:23pm

Forgot to mention its the preciso...

There may be better prices somewhere in Canada, but I need to have it shipped to Quebec. The Gaggia may be found at one retailer in Montreal, but the other machines are unavailable in Qc...It narrows down the options and the possiblity to shop for the best price...

Ebay may be an option and I buy alot from ebay sellers...but...how reliable it is to order espresso machines???
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 5:11am

Ameliej Said:

Gaggia Classic (599$ CAN)
Rancilio Miss Silvia v3 (659 CAN)
Lelit p41TEM (with PID) (649 CAN)

Out of these three machines, I would consider them in this order:

1. Lelit
  2. Rancilio
  3. Gaggia

The Lelit poses the best value for the money. Mainly due to its PID, which is usually another $150-$250 add on for other machines. However, this
machine is a little unproven still because it is relatively new. So far, I haven't heard anyone complaining about theirs.

The Rancilio machine is the best quality for the money, at least IMHO. I owned one of these machines, they're bulletproof. It seems like almost every
member of these forums has owned one of these machines at one point in time or another and this is a tried and proven machine whose origin dates
back to 1998, (If I recall properly) so any bugs were worked out a long time ago.

The Gaggia isn't a bad machine in its own right, but a lot of people who own these machines usually retrofit them with the Silvia's steam wand,
which is a fairly inexpensive and easy swap. However, if you are buying this machine for the lower price, don't. You won't save any money over
the other two. (ie. The extra cost of a PID installation on the Silvia or the steam wand retrofit on the Gaggia.)

My advice would be, find someone in your area who sells and services the machines above and buy whichever machine they have in stock.

It seems to me that everyone seems to sell Rancilio machines, but I've never seen a Lelit machine on display in a retail shop, speaking from experience.
You would probably have more avenues of support if you purchased the Silvia.

Anyway, good luck!

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 12:13pm

Ameliej Said:

I read about how long the Miss Silvia takes long to heat.

This seems to come up a lot as a concern but every espresso machine takes a long time to get completely up to temperature.  A large mass of metal will not heat instantly no matter what the brand or model.  If that's a problem then get a timer.  You can't use warm up time as a shopping item to rule out certain machines.  A long warm up time is generally desirable as it's a rough indicator of thermal stability.  If your machine heats up instantly then its also going to cool instantly as cool water from the reservoir or line refills the boiler.

Ameliej Said:

Baratza virtuoso

Save money on the espresso machine and put that savings into your grinder upgrade.

Ameliej Said:

Ebay may be an option and I buy alot from ebay sellers...but...how reliable it is to order espresso machines???

Posted December 28, 2012 link

It's the same as buying anything on ebay.  It all depends on the seller and sellers aren't all identical.  A generalization about buying on ebay isn't going to mean anything.  If you want the safety net of a warranty and support and a new item then buy from a reputable retailer.  That said, some reputable retailers use ebay to sell off open box stock.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Lelit, rancilio...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.461498022079)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+