Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Easy backflush method and tool
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Easy backflush...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
sympa

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni, Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Ascaso i-mini
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 2:40pm
Subject: Easy backflush method and tool

Getting bored of my tiny La Pavoni machine (no OPV, no 3 way, 50mm basket, leaking, but nice brass boiler and sensitive thermostat) I bought a second hand Gaggia Classic.

Some searching and I found the need to backflush. But, I do not have a blind basket handy - and getting a second portafilter, hmm, need to think about that. My first try was to put a bit of cling film over the basket. This works, but starts leaking fast. Also a bit tedious to do. Second try: take a big coin (half dollar was what I had handy), wrap in cling film, and put that in the 7 gram basket. Works pretty well, but the coin coul dleave a metallic taste, and a gain, a bit messy to clean up.

Then I realized I have a rubber sheet. Cut out a piece a fraction bigger than the coin. Works very well to close off the 7 gram basket!

This must be the easiest way to backflush: after removing the puck and rinse, just drop in the rubber, backflush, take out rubber and done.

The rubber but itself is heavy enough, but someone could come up with a weighted piece with a tiny handle for some $$$.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 3:16pm
Subject: Re: Easy backflush method and tool

Most people just but a blind insert for backflushing, either stainless or rubber...but like you, some probably make their own

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
sympa

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni, Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Ascaso i-mini
Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 12:42am

I thought that my method is actually more handy, and about as good (if there are grounds left, the rubber will float up).

Just a flat piece of rubber to put on the bottom of the basket. Water pressure holds it down. Less hassle than putting in and removing the extra basket.

I don't know if there are any better methods even? I'd love to hear from a basket with aan expandable bottom (bellows, or a material that expands into the portafilter) to flush back extra water from under the group, where it counts.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 7:29am

yeah...here's the commercial one I was talking about... Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)

many of us who use the blind basket, have more than one handle and just leave it in one of them, so all we have to do is change handles, but like you said, for some people the rubber insert is more convenient.

However, I wouldn't backflush my machine with grounds in the basket, unless you have a vey tightly fitting insert...which will then not "float up" as you said.  The point is to try to clean the group, why would you do that with something that's dirty?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
alantelfer

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 2:27pm

back flushing with grounds in basket is like washing in dirty water. the reason to back flush is to clean showers in group.
by back flushing with grounds in basket you will burn the coffee and cause a bitter taste for futher coffee. the rubber disc is the one we use in uk. always use it in same size handle as it will take shape of basket, if you use it in 7gr basket it takes that shape but wont work in double shot handle. as basket is flatter at bottom and water will leak through and not back flush.
you also need to use a cleaning powder when you backflush. also dissolve some cleaning powder in water and get a brush and clean the group where the handle goes to remove any coffee grounds if not you will get a sour taste due to the burnt coffee
on group. cleaning must be done every day. also once a week remove the showers from group and shower block and soak
in a solution of water and cleaning powder. on the shower block make sure all holes are clear so you get even flow of water
through to the coffee. a paper clip is a good tool for poking through the holes. if you are an americano drinker put hot water into cup then put an espress shot on top,this way you will keep the creme. if you put espresso into cup then put hot water on top you will burn the coffee. you will see a complete difference in coffee presentation and taste when the showers and shower
block is cleaned.all coffees are based on an espresso measure. cappuccino espresso with foamed milk, latte espresso with warmed milk and foamed milk topping, americano hot water topped with espresso.extraction time for espress should be between 22/24 secs. once you have your grinder set ut to deliver the 7gr single dose time your extraction time for an espresso, if quicker than 22/24 secs set grinder to a finer setting, if longer set to coarser setting. only put enough beans in hopper to last two days as the will go off. only grind them as you need them as ground beans will deteriate within 20mins
exposed to air.
hope this helps and a merry espresso to you all
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Easy backflush...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.379685163498)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+