Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Difference between espresso and moka pot coffee.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Difference...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
hoby141

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 9:51am
Subject: Difference between espresso and moka pot coffee.

I currently use a moka pot to brew coffee but I was thinking about buying a gaggia new baby and am wondering how the coffee would be compared to a moka pot?
Also I was wondering how much electricity espresso machines use?

Thanks,

Mark.
 View Profile Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 10:21am
Subject: Re: Difference between espresso and moka pot coffee.

Are there any places near you that serve espresso?  Tasting it would best answer your question.  Moka's like strong coffee but it's definitely not espresso.
hoby141

Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 11:10am

Can I only make espresso with the gaggia new baby because I wanted to make cappuccinos and lattes. How smooth is the coffees from an espresso? because i seem to get very bitter and somewhat burnt coffee from my moka pot.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 12:18pm

hoby141 Said:

Can I only make espresso with the gaggia new baby because I wanted to make cappuccinos and lattes. How smooth is the coffees from an espresso? because i seem to get very bitter and somewhat burnt coffee from my moka pot.

Posted December 31, 2012 link

What beans are you using, just like espresso or any coffee, need fresh beans ground right before use. I love Moka coffee and never got "burnt" taste from it, depends on type of bean/blend too, though it could happen if not right amount of grounds or water used (Moka pots can be picky there). Espresso is like a more concentrated form of it, that little cup packs a wallop of flavors.

Can still make your milk drinks on the Gaggia since you can steam milk, so your set there for your lattes. However your going to need an espresso capable grinder, and learning a bunch of new techniques like how to dose, tamp, temp surf (which you can read up on since the Gaggia doesn't come with PID to keep consistent stable temp).
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 6:04pm

Espresso is stronger and oilier, and has a much thicker crema on top. The crema is a pillow of coffee oil emulsions, mixed with CO2 gas, that produces that signature golden cap. I love moka as well, but now only use one made from stainless steel, as the original aluminum ones add a really metallic taste to the coffee. Moka, to me, is the halfway point between drip and espresso.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 11:55pm

The major differences between espresso brewed with a portafilter machine and coffee made with a moka pot are brewing temperature and brewing pressure. Espresso is made at 192 to 200F and around 9 bar, moka at boiling temperature and around 1.5 bar, which is why it has a slightly burnt taste and no real crema.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Difference...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.3921251297)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+