Espresso: Espresso Machines
New concept in espresso machines coming
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New concept in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
diggi
diggi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 11:43am
Subject: Re: New concept in espresso machines coming

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I know this is going a bit off base with the OP original question, but projects such as these make me scratch my head wondering how it all works.  So if the kickstarter funding is approved the fundee only gets to build one?  And who does that one go to?

Len

Posted January 3, 2013 link

No, I don't think that is the case at all. The way I read it is that in order to qualify for Kickstarter, the person looking for pledges already needs to have a prototype built as a proof of concept. (They can't use funding in search of building something that they have dreamed up in their head).  This is a sort of insurance that what they are seeking to build has already been created. Then, they can get pledges to buy a machine (and the pledge amount must correspond to one machine).  Once the predetermined amount has been pledged (say 50 machines or whatever it was the said they needed in order to satisfy an order), then everyone is charged, and the funding flows, and everyone gets a machine.  That's the way I read that.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 12:17pm

diggi Said:

No, I don't think that is the case at all. The way I read it is that in order to qualify for Kickstarter, the person looking for pleges already needs to have a prototype build as a proof of concept. (They can't use funding in search of building something that they have dreamed up in their head).  This is a sort of insurance that what they are seeking to build has already been created. Then, they can get pleges to buy a machine (and the plege amount must correspond to one machine).  Once the predetermined amount has been pleged (say 50 machines or whatever it was the said they needed in order to satisfy an order), then everyone is charged, and the funding flows, and everyone gets a machine.  That's the way I read that.

That is very interesting.  I see that some people do a small pledge and may only get a bumper sticker (the bumper sticker only being used as an example), all the way up to full pledges for machines.  I would imagine that kickstarter gets a percentage of the final funding?

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 12:58pm

emradguy Said:

How so?

By creating a machine that always has controlled pressure and temperature
it gives the average person, with a moderate investment a machine to match those twice its price.
Allowing them to just enjoy espresso. The influx of new people
into this experience creating a high level of espresso should
create a renaissance of sorts, removing espresso from the endless theories and expensive machines
while bringing it to the masses.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 1:58pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

That is very interesting.  I see that some people do a small pledge and may only get a bumper sticker (the bumper sticker only being used as an example), all the way up to full pledges for machines.  I would imagine that kickstarter gets a percentage of the final funding?

Len

5%.  Pretty impressive for this pledge, as it was 5% of $369, 569 or $18, 478. Not too bad!
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:13pm

It seems forever ago that ZPM appeared with the beginnings of this design, riding with the goodwill and hopes from many of us on this and other forums. The hope as always was that fresh thinking could bend the status quo (and some believed the laws of physics) and there could be better and more consistent espresso possible at a breakthrough price.

Since then it's felt like a continuous slog of redesigns, missed dates, increased costs, and some feel a questionable hardware reality. A lot of us still hope for the best, but it seems a lot like the old joke about adolescents eventually appreciating their parents: "It was obvious that all the espresso machine makers were stuck with clumsy overpriced designs.  It's amazing how really smart those engineers got in just two years..."
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 12:23am

TonyVan Said:

It seems forever ago that ZPM appeared with the beginnings of this design, riding with the goodwill and hopes from many of us on this and other forums. The hope as always was that fresh thinking could bend the status quo (and some believed the laws of physics) and there could be better and more consistent espresso possible at a breakthrough price.

Since then it's felt like a continuous slog of redesigns, missed dates, increased costs, and some feel a questionable hardware reality. A lot of us still hope for the best, but it seems a lot like the old joke about adolescents eventually appreciating their parents: "It was obvious that all the espresso machine makers were stuck with clumsy overpriced designs.  It's amazing how really smart those engineers got in just two years..."

This has such a ring of truth to it, all good points ! Yet call me a dreamer I still believe its possible to achieve what we can dream. I read where they monitor heat or pressure 60 times a second to make adjustments. Imagine its kind of like ABS brakes in a way. To me the skys the limit when you get a computer involved. I mean think about it. The two main factors in espresso are water temp and pressure and why should those be so hard to regulate? Maybe just maybe its time two engineers with a heart for espresso look at this equation. I mean Im just thinking outside the box here. I got this picture off their facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/zpmespresso

Iluvdabean: 282217_396520887086558_987885620_n.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New concept in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.453574180603)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+