Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Baby Twin troubles
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Baby Twin...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ElvisVoltare

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 11:54am
Subject: Re: Gaggia Baby Twin troubles

Here's was in the bottom of the boiler and what was clogging the 3-way solenoid valve manifold.

ElvisVoltare: GbTwinGroupBoiler1.jpeg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
ElvisVoltare

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 12:18pm

Here's one more pic of the boiler - not sure if this shows the damage any better or not.  The flange section that mates with the o-ring has only very minor corrosion and no real pitting to speak of. The bottom of the boiler (which I believe is the group head, or at lest it's attached to it) appears to be completely fine (maybe because it's made of chromed brass?) and the channel (groove) for the o-ring in it is still perfect.

ElvisVoltare: GbTwinBoiler3.jpeg
(Click for larger image)
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 12:19pm

That is actually in great shape.  Lightly brush the boiler out, you do not appear to need chemicals.  Fine wire wheel brush on a Dremel and wash the flaking out.  Did the O ring look good, probably reusable as the machine does not look over used.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
ElvisVoltare

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 12:20pm

Yep, the O-ring still looks new.
D4F

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 12:29pm

Let us know how it comes together as you are sitting back enjoying your espresso and your satisfaction for solving the problem :)

D4F also at
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 12:51pm

ElvisVoltare Said:

Sorry again. Same problem.  I also tried word doc with pictures inserted, but again just a blank page shows up when I upload (looked at the preview before a posted that time - see, I can learn, I'm just slow).  Guess I'll have to post these one at a time. It won't let me post multiple pics (or again, I'm an idiot). Thanks for the advice, please let me know if this one works.

Posted January 2, 2013 link

I've posted this more than a few times..
ALL file extensions were disabled quite a while ago as the site was supposed to go through an update. .txt, .zip, .pdf, .doc files were disabled., the only files that work are jpg, .gif.

Site search: file extensions won't work; Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)

Site search: file extensions won't work Author: CraigA: Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ElvisVoltare

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 1:27pm

Sorry, I'm new to the group. Won't happen again.
ElvisVoltare

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 1:27pm

Sure thing! Thanks again.
qu1nn
qu1nn

Espresso: Gaggia New Baby 06 Twin
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 2:29pm

I am having the same problem.  Loss of steam pressure after such and such a time.
Did cleaning the boiler fix the problem?

I too have purchased a used Baby Twin at Wholelattelove, the device has been working like a champ for over 1 year.  
Some Additional comments:

1) I recently purchased the durgol descaler  I spent over 2 hrs descaling / rinsing.  Although, suprisingly (since I only use Reverse Osmosis) some scale was removed, as this was a used machine it may have come from prior ownership.  I would run a bit throught the brew head (let sit 20 min) then I would run a bit through via HOT water (and again let sit for 20 min).  This process was repeated switching between steam and water until the fluid was almost gone.  Then I would add a tank of new water for rinising.  The entire process was repeated with the other bottle of durgol.

2)  The loss steam was something that just happened suddenly over the last month.  

3)  After descaling I allowed the device to heat up for 30 min.  No change!  The behavior is the same.

4) Question: if scale was the issue would it not cause a problem with HOT water?  Do you know what the ideal flow rate is ... for example x oz of hot water should come out in 1 minute?

5)  I made a video, here is the link:
Click Here (dl.dropbox.com)
why would turning the steam valve on/off repeatedly give x seconds of steam?

I appreciate any additional insight into this issue.

Qu1nn

6) Any suggestions would be great.  I am not afraid to take apart the device and do my own repairs.
D4F

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 3:09pm

Hmmm, perhaps the original steam problem is not solved.  EV will have a clean boiler, but not necessarily good steam.  It always helps to refocus on the original problem, steam.  I started looking at pictures and how to fix that, but it may not be all of the problem.

You will need to look at the insides of your machine.  The Twins have a thermoblock for steam, after the boiler.  That is another area for known problems.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

Between tubing and thermoblock, the Twin is not high on the recommended list, but you already have it.

Pump flow rate without resistance is about 10 cc/second.  Pumps should not be run long time, so run for 30 seconds and measure volume.  If the steam wand flows full water flow and sputters for steam, then the thermoblock or steam stat seem the problem.

D4F also at
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Baby Twin...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.511330127716)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+