Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 134 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BubbaDude
BubbaDude
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 8:29pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

dagoat Said:

Good advice Richard.  I felt felt that way about nickos posts a year ago especially re De scaling.  However considerable time has passed and he has been going it alone.   AND he seems to have a duetto now as well.  I'd like to see his descaling process before I try it too.  But I consider his work in the o-ring and sealing area useful.

I imagine over time some of us will be able to peer review his work too.

-Peter

Posted January 6, 2013 link

I'm thinking about replacing the O rings just for fun. Converting his numbers to American, it seems that a 1/16 x 1/4 inch O ring should fit, so I'm wondering whether to go with PTFE, Viton, or Kalrez. Kalrez has the best heat and steam resistance, but it's about 100 x more expensive that PTFE from this scientific instrument supplier I found on the net. Where do you buy O rings apart from plumbing supply stores?

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JJC
JJC

Espresso: Breville 900Xl, Saeco...
Grinder: Compak K3
Roaster: Behmor, Nesco
Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 8:47pm

Richard,

Teflon isn't very compressible so I wouldn't use it unless that is what is in there now.
Kalrez is also a funny material in terms of resistance to abrasion and function as an O-ring independent of its temp resistance.
In my experience viton is a great material as long as you don't go over its high temperature limits but still not great for compressibility/sealing.

Silicone goes to high temps and seals well.

Check out Mcmaster.com
Search O-ring for a listing of the types and temp ranges, etc.

You will probably need to buy 100 or so at a shot.
Then you can sell them to the rest of us.
On the other hand maybe Breville would sell you some appropriate ones.
In any case I'd look at the ones that are in the machine, and measure them and see what their material is before ordering replacements
from anyone other than Breville.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Jim
 View Profile Link to this post
Dr_Coffee_House
Dr_Coffee_House

Espresso: Minnore III, BCF, DCM Others
Grinder: MaCap, BZ02, Vario,Eureka
Vac Pot: a few
Drip: one
Roaster: HT, KKTO and Antique French...
Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 8:56pm

As a small update for those with the BES900, I thought I might again toss some info in for every one.

Yes, one of my first posts about the BES900 was about the OPV not being set correctly - which a few here dismissed... And yet afterwards...  LOL

1: Don't be worried about o-rings - they are no longer being used.

After ongoing problems (even with different compounds etc) they have taken on advice from those dealing with this issue and going to a gasket.  And yes, if you wish you can do the same, if you have the right materials... A much better outcome for all.

2:  If your running at a software version of  less than or = 1.8   Then you need to get the latest version installed.  The older versions are subject to many varied bugs....

A simple flash will see you at the latest version and resolve lots of strange problems.

3:  PF keeps slipping ...  Does not lock in properly ?

If many in the USA are like many in Australia; they have a tendency to not just up-dose but to OVER DOSE.  Rather than managing their bean freshness / grind  / Tamp and manage the dose level to ensue a correct space between the puck and the shower screen. They tend to just keep upping the dose.  

This then means that extra forces and physics come into play...

Outcome = The Collar becomes malformed and in some extreme cases is worn so that is almost non existent.  Seeing way too many LOL

And a pic just as a taste...  for those that need to see.   Have lots more tricks / Info / but  will keep for those in desperate need.

Dr_Coffee_House: IMAG0595 (Medium).jpg
(Click for larger image)

Bling does not make coffee.... Get over it.
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 12:27am

Doc from cs I presume?   Haven't seen you here or there for quite a while.  Your mates over there seem to be dropping like flies... or at least the observed pressure from their bdb's is anyway. :)  Sounds like you're sitting on a quite a storehouse of useful information.

1: some of us are no strangers to materials selection when it comes to gasket materials.  Could you elaborate further for us?  You use the word outcome like a medical doctor.  If so, you can see why some of us are interested in prophylaxis when it comes to the 3-way valve in our BDB's.  After a year of trouble free use, blokes like me and Richard/bubbadude and jjc/jim are feeling its time for a look.

2:  firmware update?  Not sure how to go about getting that done.  Pull the logic board and send it out for a re flash?  Send for a new board with the current version already loaded?  Not sure Breville would go along with either approach.  Not even sure they have repair shops here in the USA.  So far they've been replacing warrantied BDB's outright. I wonder what the odds are that they would even entertain the idea of upgrading firmware on a perfectly working machine?

-peter
wjordan

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Breville BEX900XL
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Precise
Roaster: Local - Hasbeans, London, ON
Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 7:06am

Hi, another 'noob' here...been following this post for a while now and thought I'm at a point where I need some additional guidance.

I've had my BDB since September, looks like I've pulled 180 shots (assuming the counter counts for each pump activation regardless of single/double).

I have a local roaster and routinely purchase fresh beans, so I'm confident I've got that step right.

I use a Baratza Virtuoso Preciso to grind - anyone else running this same set up?

My questions is with regard to the type of scale people are using to weight grind and shot - I currently have a scale, but the accuracy is 1g and I'm now realizing I really need 0.1g accuracy. Seems like most kitchen scales are 1g though. I've found one on Amazon (link below), but I'm wondering what everyone else is using?

Amazon Jewelry Scale

Thanks to all in advance!

Wayne J.
Contrabass_Bry
Contrabass_Bry

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 8:15am

Wow! Plastic portafilter collars...

Hope they start listing those for purchase on the Breville site. Between the pressure of the PF lugs and the heat involved in our snazzy heated group heads, I can see these failing on a pretty regular basis.

Dr., any knowledge of the type of plastic this component is made from?
Contrabass_Bry
Contrabass_Bry

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 8:20am

Wayne,

Personally, I would go with a "pocket" type scale instead of a kitchen scale. That way you can use the scale to both measure out beans/check dosing AND check the weight of the shot being pulled (to check extraction). For me, checking the weight of the shot will be more telling than the volume.

Plus, these can fit in a small ziplock-type bag to keep them clean and safe from liquids/grinds.

Cheers,

Bryan
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 8:36am

wjordan Said:

My questions is with regard to the type of scale people are using to weight grind and shot - I currently have a scale, but the accuracy is 1g and I'm now realizing I really need 0.1g accuracy. Seems like most kitchen scales are 1g though. I've found one on Amazon (link below), but I'm wondering what everyone else is using?

Amazon Jewelry Scale

Thanks to all in advance!

Wayne J.

Posted January 7, 2013 link

i use the 0.00g, im using a jewelry scale

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 8:42am

Wayne- That looks like an adequate scale. Large enough to set a portafilter on.

I've read enough here to start weighing the shots, 36g of liquid for an 18g puck. I'm guessing that scale would work for that too. Judging by volume can be misleading, and if you already have the scale why not tare it out and use it for the shot too? I'm very happy with this set up. If I'm pulling more than a couple shots I can go without the scale after I get a shot perfect.

Can't speak to the grinder that you're using, but I'm sure someone else here will.

Good job in supporting your local roaster!
wjordan

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Breville BEX900XL
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Precise
Roaster: Local - Hasbeans, London, ON
Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 8:42am

i use the 0.00g, im using a jewelry scale

What brand and model do you use?

Thanks!
showing page 134 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.406765937805)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+