Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Classic shower holding plate question
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Chanty

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario, had an MDF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: I buy beans from many...
Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 11:02pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic shower holding plate question

No, I haven't been removing the screen when I backflush (1x per month), only when I descale.  So maybe backflushing without removing the screen could loosen the screen screw?
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 10:47am

I don't think so.  I backflush daily with water and have never had the screw loose.  Just check and see if it happens again, hopefully fixed.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 3:22pm

I have had my Classic for 6 years and its used every day. I only use Cleancaf by Urnex to descale and I backflush with Joe Glo. My dispersion screen isnt loose at all. It only goes on one way with the
protruding part in the center with the hole facing up into the group head. SEE PIC It should fit flush into place the screw just holds it in. I make mine snug but I dont over tighten.
Personally I wouldnt use anything but the Cleancaf for descaling and i would back flush with a product like Cafiza or Joe Glo using a blind filter basket. You can do this on the Classic because it
has a three way solenoid valve.
I love my little Gaggia Classic and it makes great....yes great espresso. I have though been looking over the fence at other machines up the ladder.
I cant see myself getting rid of it though. Its been a friend. If I do get another machine I could see giving it to one of my children,hard to say.

Heres a little piece for you Classic lovers.

Click Here (www.wholelattelove.com)

Iluvdabean: G630.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
D4F

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 4:06pm

Iluvdabean Said:

I have had my Classic for 6 years and its used every day. I only use Cleancaf by Urnex to descale and I backflush with Joe Glo.

Posted January 8, 2013 link

Interesting FAQ about Cleancaf vs Dezcal.  Cleancaf is a cleaner of oily residue, and it helps to prevent scale, not break it down.  Dezcal will will remove water deposits but not clean coffee oils.  That noted, in 6 years of use you are treating your machine well, and it you :)

http://www.urnexathome.com/product/Cleancaf%C2%AE/13164.aspx

Cleancaf "coffee machine cleaning powder"
Cafiza    "collee machine cleaning tablets"
Dezcal    "coffee machine descaling powder"

D4F also at
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 8:49pm

I just followed Whole Latte Loves advice,and its worked so far. I was afraid of putting an acid based cleaner in my aluminum boiler. I found this on the Urnex site and
it mentions that regular use of cleancaf in a new machine can have a prohibitive effect on scale.Yep my Gaggia Classic has been good to me.

Why use Dezcal™?
When mineral scale in your hot water tank builds up, it can clog water flow and affect brew temperature, which leads to beverage inconsistency. Dezcal is designed to break down lime scale and mineral buildup inside your machine to ensure great, consistent coffee.

How often should I descale my machine?
The answer to this depends on your water hardness. In some places you might need to descale only 1x per year. In others, you might need to do this monthly if you have very hard water. As a rule, we suggest every 3 months, but you will know quickly if this is too much or too little.

How does vinegar compare to Dezcal™?
You need to use almost a full liter of vinegar to get close to the effect of one packet of powder dissolved in water. Vinegar also takes nearly 3x as long to rinse from your machine after using as a descaling. Finally, vinegar has a strong odor that can linger in a machine and contaminate the flavor and aroma of your coffee.

Can Dezcal™ be used on copper and aluminum?
Dezcal™ can be used on coffee machines with aluminum and copper heating units for short periods of time. Our formula contains a corrosion inhibitor. However, with extended exposure to acids, aluminum can pit and lose its lustre. When copper is in contact with acid, the oxidized portion is cleaned (similar to taking the green off of a roof). When copper is in the acid solution, it will redeposit back onto itself, so there is minimal concern for damage.
In general, we only recommend use of our products in the manner which is described on the packages. In the case of descaling with acids, we suggest avoiding extended exposure and just using the product and rinsing thoroughly after use.

How do I know if Dezcal™ has been rinsed out of my machine?
To confirm that the product is properly rinsed, one can sprinkle household baking soda into some of the rinse water. Foaming indicates Dezcal™ is still present in the rinse water, and we recommend one more rinse. If the baking soda simply drops into solution, the Dezcal™ is fully rinsed.

What is the difference between Cleancaf® and Dezcal™?
Cleancaf® is first and foremost a cleaner designed to keep your machine fresh and your coffee tasting great. It also contains a component that works as a scale inhibitor. When used regularly on a new machine (or one which has not already developed a significant scale problem), it will work to prevent the accumulation of scale buildup on the internal parts of the machine.
D4F

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 8:59pm

I was not recommending for against Dezcal, only noting the difference and that there is a descale solution.  Safe for Gaggia

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Various prices available, just a quick find of the solution.

D4F also at
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 9:55pm

Understood, I just ordered 4 bottles at an unbelievable price and will run it through as time goes on. Although Ive got the bug for another machine up the ladder. Ive had it before though
so we will see.

Thank You

D4F Said:

I was not recommending for against Dezcal, only noting the difference and that there is a descale solution.  Safe for Gaggia

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Various prices available, just a quick find of the solution.

Posted January 8, 2013 link

Chanty

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 2:36pm

I had someone of complete knowledge & an expert in regard to Gaggia Classics.  He strongly recommended citric acid.  1) Add two tablespoons Citric Acid to 1 quart of tepid water in the water reservoir, and mix thoroughly to dissolve.
I follow a complete process in descaling.  Just mentioned how much citric acid I use.  I descale every 3-4 months.
The person, like I mentioned is a very experienced Gaggia tech. & knows the boiler is aluminum.  He still strongly recommends the citric acid for descaling.
D4F

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 3:20pm

No quarrel from me.  Gaggia recommends their product and it is probably the safest.  That said, many use citric and it works well.  The trick is not to leave it long, and then to get the acid flushed out well. Many water articles recommend against RO and distilled water use for brewing, not only for taste reasons, but specifically because of the aluminum.  If distilled is used, then a pinch of baking soda is recommended to keep from getting carbonic acid.  Citric is cheap and safe when used with the mentioned reasonable caution.  Gaggia descaler is not cheap.  I would particularly use citric if I needed to take a machine apart because of scale. And yes, I believe that the Gaggia product has acids and even partially citric.

I did not know that you had access to that expertise when the thread started. The context of the thread was not about the best or most common descaler.  It drifted to descale over "Cleancaf."  I hope that the rest of the thread advice was ok :)

D4F also at
Chanty

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 3:26pm

Everything is fine.  I don't know how it drifted to descalers used.  I'm using a library computer since our computer croaked, so didn't look back.  I put a full container of clear water to rinse through once the citric acid has gone through.  I forget how big the container is in the Gaggia--but that's what I fill up with clear water.  Hopefully that is enough to get all the "acid" out????? Yikes.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.433177947998)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+