Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another Original Alex Duetto here... and I screwed it up :(
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another Original...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
hamm
hamm
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto (1st gen)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: I'm not that kind of guy...
Drip: From the faucet occasionally
Roaster: I buy from several
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 5:24pm
Subject: Another Original Alex Duetto here... and I screwed it up :(

Hello everyone,

Man, it's been a LONG time since I've been on here but I managed to royally kill my 1st gen Duetto. Maybe someone out there can help me with this?

The simple answer is that I need a new temperature sensor for the brew boiler. I thought it was like the other boiler and I pulled on it with pliers. Snapped the wire in two.

Why was I doing that? Because I was an idiot and dropped a socket from a wrench in there when I was removing the inner lid. It landed PERFECTLY to cause a short right at the PID controller box. After I rest the GFI/circuit breaker, the machine heated up to over 260 F on the brew side and massive amounts of steam emerged when I activated the pump. After resetting the PID I got an A2 error code which I thought was a short in the temp sensor. That's why I thought I could just pull that out, clean it, and reinsert. Boy was I wrong. I tried to reconnect the wires as best I could, but I got the A1 error basically telling me that something was not connected. Wishful thinking.

In the past, every "crisis" repair has turned out to be pretty simple and inexpensive. But I'm always nervous. Anyone know where I can get a new temp sensor and how much it'll cost? Could that short have killed the PID entirely? I'll try to call Chris' tomorrow but I couldn't find the part on their website.

Almost 10 years of making espresso very well may be grinding to a halt. Trying not to boil over on this one. Hopefully it'll pull through for another shot at (oh forget it, these puns are going nowhere)

Thanks guys,
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another Original...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.309906005859)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+