Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
First post and I already need advice!
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > First post and I...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
denrusso

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 5:50pm
Subject: First post and I already need advice!

First post here as I am just getting into this area of home espresso making.  I'd like to purchase a good setup and was hoping to get some advice from members...

First about me.  I currently drink roughly three cups of drip brewed coffee a day.  I'd like to replace one of those with an espresso/latte/cappuccino.  Can only do one for myself and wife as I have to leave for work at some point.  I tend to drink lattes and cappuccinos during the weekend from Starbucks (sorry).  Obviously looking to replace those with something home made.

I currently have nothing (no grinder, tamper, nothing) and looking to spend less than $3k for everything.  After watching literally every video from Seattle Coffee Gear, I think I've settled on the Rocket Cellini Plus V2 and a Mazzer Mini SS (to match the Rocket).  That's about $2,500 for the two, leaving $500 for supplies.

I guess my question is if this is too much machine for a newbie?  I was also looking at the Silvia and Rocky combo but one of the videos showed that it took about 18 minutes to make 4 lattes on a Silvia and less than half that time on the Rocket.  Will I be making 4 lattes frequently?  No.  But I will be having friends over from time to time and I'd like to show my new machine(s) so...

Any other combos to look at in this price range?  I'll gladly listen to suggestions for combos significantly less too!  I'm just tired of making a purchase only to outgrow it in a year and then have to sell it at some discount and buy the machine I should I bought in the first place.

I appreciate any advice you could give!

Thanks,
dr
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 6:59pm
Subject: Re: First post and I already need advice!

I think you'll be very happy with your choices, as will your friends who will visit more often than you think.
It is a little much for a first machine, in most people's opinions, That's why there are so many "more affordable" options on the market. But you have obviously done your homework and since it is obvious that you want the set up to be permanent, and it is the right price range, it is the right choice.
But you've already settled on your choice. Really all we can say is "Congratulations, Enjoy learning the process of making your ideal espressos, lattes and cappuccinos".
hamm
hamm
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto (1st gen)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: I'm not that kind of guy...
Drip: From the faucet occasionally
Roaster: I buy from several
Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 7:17am

I still remember my first login here almost a decade ago under similar circumstances.

I pretty much agree with SStones on this one. If you can afford a setup like that one, the learning curve won't be as steep and you'll get great results faster.

My first machine was an Isomac Tea which was great for about 8 years but being plagued with design flaws that tended to appear once maintenance and repairs were needed, I upgraded. So here's some pointers that could help:

1. The grinder is by far, more important than the machine. Mazzers are among the best, IMO.

2. You might want to look at how the machine internals are designed for those times later on when you need to get in there and fix stuff.

3. Seems backward, but once you learn how to make great espresso, you'd be better able to use a "cheap" machine and get good results. You might come across information about "temp-surfing" and such.

4. Enjoy the hobby. It's really every bit as awesome as it seems!

Hamm
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 7:33am

+ another 1.

I think you're saving yourself some time, frustration and money by jumping in with both feet.  Many get the "entry level" stuff in part because they're not sure they really want to get into it for sure, only to find themselves upgrading to the class of equipment you've proposed at a later date.  I applaud your courage.  As was said already, this is a great hobby (read addiction)!  There seems to never be an end to the learning and improving process and, if that's something you enjoy you're going to love it too.

In the prosumer class, there are a  lot of great options, so you really end up picking a machine based on features, functionality and looks more than on brand - if that makes sense.

If you have the space, consider the Mazzer Super Jolly or Major too.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 7:36am

denrusso Said:

... Rocket Cellini Plus V2 and a Mazzer Mini ...

Posted January 10, 2013 link

That's one hell of a prosumer set-up capable of brewing great espressos as well as frothing milk for lattes or cappuccinos. If you can afford to spend that much money on your first machine and grinder, you probably won't regret it. Go ahead and enjoy!

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013, 10:04am

I have the bigger brother to that machine and I know you will not regret the purchase.
If I was to make a change it would be to the grinder, you would benefit from a better grinder.  A super jolly or a major, the mini is the lowest step on the Mazer ladder and with that machineyou will see the difference between the grinders, I am just trying to help you get better espresso and save some money at the same time, in the long run that is.

Used grinders offer a big saving in money without much of a down side if you shop carefully.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > First post and I...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.387621879578)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+