Espresso: Espresso Machines
Just upgraded: Nuova Simonelli Oscar Pro - Kind of feel over my head
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Just upgraded:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 11:21am
Subject: Re: Just upgraded: Nuova Simonelli Oscar Pro - Kind of feel over my head

Just installed the new group kit. In a rush to get out the door for a weekend trip to Canada. Didn't bother dialing in the grinder, just threw in some Velton's, tamped, and prayed for the best.

Crema.

I think this might have done the trick! Will report back after this weekend. Thanks again, guys. You're the best.
 View Profile Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 4:34pm
Subject: Re: Just upgraded: Nuova Simonelli Oscar Pro - Kind of feel over my head

So if things appear to be running smoothly, is there anything I should be on the lookout for to see if I damaged my new toy with the intense backflushing and pressure buildup? The NS tech said that it's normal for very little water to come out of the tube at a time, so I'm not sure if everything's good or not. With the investment I made, I'm not simply content to cross my fingers and count myself lucky. I just want to make sure the machine is in fact okay.
hotwasabipeas

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL, CC1, NS...
Grinder: Baratza Vario 886
Drip: Flavia SB100 (makes a hot...
Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 4:41pm

When I backflush my Oscar (plain water backflush after pulling a shot) I get around a teaspoon or two of water in the drain pan so the NS tech is correct, it's not that much water.  The one thing I hate though is that I always get a tiny bit of water underneath the drain pan after a backflush.  Anyone else have this happen?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 6:37pm

nope

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Sep 7, 2012, 12:04am

hotwasabipeas Said:

The one thing I hate though is that I always get a tiny bit of water underneath the drain pan after a backflush.  Anyone else have this happen?

Posted September 6, 2012 link

Your drain tubes might have gotten misaligned from the drip tray.  

If u wanna see what's going on, just remove the top cover and then locate where the water is coming from.
ShooterMcGavin
ShooterMcGavin
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: N.S. Oscar
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Fri Sep 7, 2012, 1:24am

like frank said, the tube may be misaligned so open your machine and backflush.  when i first tried backflushing with the top off, I noticed that my tube would bubble up where it was clogged.  in my case though, the cable was also pinched so I simply replaced it and routed it into the hole leading to the drip tray so it wouldn't backflush into the machine

also, you probably didn't damage the machine, nor have I heard of a clogged backflush tube causing any damage during backflushing.  it just got so tight that it worried me.  if there'd be any damage, I assume it'd be minor wear on the gasket

(i still don't know what the skinny red tube to the left is for)

Daviiid
FrankyD

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/Kyocera...
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: WB Poppery I
Posted Fri Sep 7, 2012, 2:56pm

I've been off the forum for a week and you've upgraded? Nooooooooo! )=

I was thinking of getting an NS Oscar as well down the line when budget permits...but it looks like you've figured out the problem. Some Oscars come with the POD group and some are traditional PF.

How much was the group kit? Was it still worth the upgrade, despite the extra cost?
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 9:48am

Well let's just say I was literally unable to use it with the pod group in place. You just can't do it. You can't dose enough to make more than half a runny shot, the basket is the wrong shape, and I could barely get the PF on in the first place. I almost gave up on the machine and if Shooter hadn't let me in on the fact that there WAS a pod kit, then I would have ended up taking it in for service that same morning.

The group kit was around $35-40 from Nuova Simonelli's main store in Seattle. Installed it in about a minute (using a potholder, since the machine was still hot), eyeballed a grind of Velton's and pulled a very normal-looking shot which I put into an iced breve for my boyfriend. It was delicious so assuming I didn't screw anything up during backflushing (or that things weren't screwed up regarding backflushing in the first place), it looks like this is the beginning of some awesome coffee.

Price paid:

$540 for the Oscar on Craigslist from some guy whose parents had owned it and mothballed it and ended up using the tamper as a hammer (luckily it was a cheap one)

$40 for the REAL group kit straight from NS

$$$$ In sweat equity
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 9:49am

Oh, and $10 for the Silvia V3 single hole steam tip and a couple bucks for the o-ring at the hardware store we used to make a seal with it.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 1:00pm

I did not know you could walk in and buy stuff.  That is good to know if I am in the area, there are few things that I can only get from them that I don't want to pay shipping for.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Just upgraded:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.41118311882)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+