Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 140 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dagoat

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: HG-One, baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 9:17am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

it's hard to pick out through your rant, but i think you are trying to say that dosing is more complex than just weighing?  am i understanding you correctly?  

if so, yes.  i agree with you.  this whole process is complex and full of variables.  the more variables you eliminate, the easier it is to control.  weighing both the dose and the extraction eliminates two of them.  i'm not in it for the challenge.  i'm in it for the taste, and the easier i can make it on myself, the better... so i eliminate variables.  if you've got some kind of zen thing going on where you are digging the extra burden by letting weights run free, good on you.  i assume you are going into it with your eyes wide open.  

i make these posts periodically, because i worry that non-weighers enthusiasm for their cause will rub off on newbies and hurt them in their journey, because they do not know any better.

-peter
 View Profile Link to this post
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 11:22am

dagoat Said:

was i not clear that i wasn't picking on you?  it was just something in your post that reminded me about the feud between weighers and non-weighers.  anyhow, no attack intended.

-peter

Posted January 13, 2013 link

Oh, alright. I gotcha. Perhaps the misunderstanding was only on my end. Haha. Sorry about that.

-Dave-
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 11:49am

I will simplify my question so you can understand it. Given everything in making espresso,over a period of time does dosing and or weighing out the coffee
always give you the same results 100 percent of the time?If not why do it?  Oh and im no Newb Ive been making great espresso everyday for five years.
I load it,tamp to 30 lbs and look for a 30 second pull. If it doesn't always give you the same results then it seems a ritual or non useful function which in a way is
like adding weight to your backpack, thus making the journey a little longer and harder. Does it provide constant exactly the same results?
Maybe Im doing the same exact thing because I always fill my portafilter to the same place. Kind of a way to do it by eye without the obsessive ritual.
Hmmm interesting thought.

dagoat Said:

it's hard to pick out through your rant, but i think you are trying to say that dosing is more complex than just weighing?  am i understanding you correctly?  

if so, yes.  i agree with you.  this whole process is complex and full of variables.  the more variables you eliminate, the easier it is to control.  weighing both the dose and the extraction eliminates two of them.  i'm not in it for the challenge.  i'm in it for the taste, and the easier i can make it on myself, the better... so i eliminate variables.  if you've got some kind of zen thing going on where you are digging the extra burden by letting weights run free, good on you.  i assume you are going into it with your eyes wide open.  

i make these posts periodically, because i worry that non-weighers enthusiasm for their cause will rub off on newbies and hurt them in their journey, because they do not know any better.

-peter

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 12:50pm

This week my little Brevilley celebrates her first birthday. It has been a wonderful year of good coffee, fun with roasting, predictable shots, and trouble-free operation. The machine turns herself on every morning, I load her up with a measured dose of fresh-ground coffee, and enjoy the tastes and aromas of my espresso. Every once in a while, I make a cappuccino or a latte, but that typically happens only when the bean I have on hand isn't that great. I roast my own, so a lot of beans and roasts are experiments that didn't pan out.

To celebrate Brevilley's birthday, I gave her a nice little "clean me" cycle with Cafiza and a true blind,took off her screen and cleaned it up, and cleaned and calibrated her best friend Vario. I'm wondering if I shouldn't take her skin off and peer into her guts to complete the festivities. I'm not going to mess with her seals on the theory that once opened, they will need to replaced even if they're working fine so far (which they are.)

Any suggestions?

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
wjordan

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Breville BEX900XL
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Precise
Roaster: Local - Hasbeans, London, ON
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 6:13pm

dagoat Said:

-peter

Thanks to everyone who has "weighed in" on this subject....nice to know that weighing is just a part of the process and I'm not as crazy as those people who are watching me, telling me I'm crazy. You're all right.....when I weigh the grind, and time/weight the shot, and then taste the goodness, I know what people are saying here is true....and I've been drinking the espresso and lattes straight, no syrup, no sugar....the coffee taste is why I invested in my equipment.

Much appreciated, and thank again to all!

Wayne
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 7:19pm

Awesome and congratulations. Seven years ago I took back my Breville 800 ESXL because it just couldn't make espresso and came here for help. Got a Gaggia Classic and went on. I have been more into making and drinking espresso
than hanging out here and i was unaware of Breville coming out with this. I still have a bad taste in my mouth over the 800 ESXL but am glad to see they went back to the drawing board and
are getting positive reviews. I read all of Marks review. You have every right to be a proud owner and I hope it gives you years of service. You seem very very happy. Congratulations. :) : )

BubbaDude Said:

This week my little Brevilley celebrates her first birthday. It has been a wonderful year of good coffee, fun with roasting, predictable shots, and trouble-free operation. The machine turns herself on every morning, I load her up with a measured dose of fresh-ground coffee, and enjoy the tastes and aromas of my espresso. Every once in a while, I make a cappuccino or a latte, but that typically happens only when the bean I have on hand isn't that great. I roast my own, so a lot of beans and roasts are experiments that didn't pan out.

To celebrate Brevilley's birthday, I gave her a nice little "clean me" cycle with Cafiza and a true blind,took off her screen and cleaned it up, and cleaned and calibrated her best friend Vario. I'm wondering if I shouldn't take her skin off and peer into her guts to complete the festivities. I'm not going to mess with her seals on the theory that once opened, they will need to replaced even if they're working fine so far (which they are.)

Any suggestions?

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 3:58am

BubbaDude Said:

Any suggestions?

I apologize in advance!
But, (IMHO) "if it ain't broke... don't fix it! lol

Seriously, congrats! I haven't had mine all that long so I'm "going to school" on your set-up (see my equipment list).
Maybe you could have an anniversary special shot???? Maybe make an "Irish Coffee"??? lol

I took mine to a party last night (yep I keep the box handy) and it performed flawlessly! 25-30 shots and I may have "sold" a couple more units (Breville kindly contact me RE: commissions) lmao.

Cheers,

Dave

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
cafeespresso

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: FR 8+, SC/Turbo CO
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 6:16am

I'm getting Error3 message every time I try to turn the machine off. I need to disconnect from the power outlet to get out of it
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 6:37am

cafeespresso Said:

I'm getting Error3 message every time I try to turn the machine off. I need to disconnect from the power outlet to get out of it

Posted January 16, 2013 link

Cafeespresso,

First, I am not trying to be a SmartA$$. But the only mention that I see for error 3 is in the manual on page 35. It says that an error has occurred that CANNOT be reset by the user.

The instruction is to call 1-866-273-8455. I am very "anal' and so I do RTFM (Read the "FINE" manual lol).

If nobody here can give us a better answer and if you contact Breville, please, let us know what they say.

I have this ominous feeling that you may have to send your unit back for service, but, I hope not.

Anyway,

Best of luck!

Dave

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 6:59am

Park_Ridge_Dave Said:

Cafeespresso,

First, I am not trying to be a SmartA$$. But the only mention that I see for error 3 is in the manual on page 35. It says that an error has occurred that CANNOT be reset by the user.

The instruction is to call 1-866-273-8455. I am very "anal' and so I do RTFM (Read the "FINE" manual lol).

If nobody here can give us a better answer and if you contact Breville, please, let us know what they say.

I have this ominous feeling that you may have to send your unit back for service, but, I hope not.

Anyway,

Best of luck!

Dave

Posted January 16, 2013 link

You are right. it is not user fixable. However, Breville has bee great at honouring replacement. Let's us know if they provide an answer as to what is triggering that message. The Err messages are not coming up very often which is good news.
showing page 140 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.560672998428)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+