Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Espresso pump fails after 20min. Overheating?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
pstock

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 7:56am
Subject: Gaggia Espresso pump fails after 20min. Overheating?

My Gaggia "Espresso" machine (that's all the is written on it model-wise. I think it is one of the less sophisticated followers of the Baby Gaggia. It has the same boxy 80s look but it apparently has no solenoid.) stops pumping after having been turned on for about 20 minutes.

First couple of draws are fine then after 20 minutes, I flick the switch and ... nothing.

If I turn it off and let it cool for an hour or so, then on restart, it draws water again.

I can only suspect overheating of some sort.
But then what do I know.
Do these units overheat?
Is there a known issue of overheating with this particular unit?

Many thanks

Peter
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 6:35pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Espresso pump fails after 20min. Overheating?

You can probably find your machine here, though most are similar internals.

http://www.partsguru.com/GaggiaHomeEspressoMakers.html

I am not sure that I understand what you are doing.  20 minutes of warm up and the pump will not run, or 20 minutes of multiple runs.  Does the machine stay up to temperature?  Will it make steam?  Is pump the only function not working?

While it sounds heat related, I am not sure heat at which point or what is over heated.  You can start tryng various circuits and parts with a DMM.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
pstock

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 7:35pm

Mine is indeed a GaggiaEspresso model

Alas I am not really a great student of coffee making.

what I am doing and experiencing (in crass layman's terms) is this:
- In the AM, I flip the ON switch (lower of the three) to heat up the boiler.
- after about 5 minutes I pack a basket of coffee for my partner and "draw" her her's.
- I then repeat for myself
- But, by the time we are finished these -- say 20 minutes -- and are ready for a second (with the machine still Main Switch On) when I flip the Pump switch (the top switch of the three) ON nothing happens. It just sits there. pretty much stone silent. None of that reassuring pump-drawing-water-from-the-reservoir sounds.

If I then just turn it off and wait 15-30 minutes, and then power it all back up again, it will again function.

The steam function works fine (though I have not tested it after the 20min failure period. I will and will report.)
D4F

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 8:47pm

I found a little more that may help.  Many ULKA vib pumps have a Klixon thermal protector, a thermal circuit.

Click Here (www.chriscoffee.com)

I am not sure that your machine does???

Under the Gaggia Espresso, the wiring diagram is similar to many, and the Evolution comes up.  

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)  

Most (probably all) Gaggias have part#2 the thermal cutoff, not the Klixon, but a thermal fuse on top of the boiler part 24

http://www.partsguru.com/user/Espresso-Espresso%20Deluxe.pdf

Part 24 will cut off the boiler heater and is not reusable, it is a fuse.  The pump protector is self reset with cooling.  If the Gaggia Espresso has a klixon or equivalent, it may be the problem.  If you can find and get to the pump wiring, then you test cold and hot.

D4F also at
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 8:39am

I have the same machine, I sat with mine last night for a good cleaning and it ran non stop while cleaning it, so were say like 2 hours . Now then have you tried to clear a vapor lock?
David_Batson

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Breville BCG800XL Smart...
Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 9:12pm

Didn't by chance leave the steam switch on?

I did that recently on my new Gaggia Classic and wondered why the pump was not working.  I found I have a tendency not to turn off the steam switch when I finish making my cappuccino on this new machine.
pstock

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 7:43am

I don't use the Steam function so no, the steam switch is never left on.
My routine now is to turn the main switch on, let it heat up for a few minutes, pull two cups of coffee and then turn it OFF until I am ready to redraw.
When I then turn it back on (maybe 15-20 minutes later) all works fine.
But again, if I just leave the main boiler powered ON for that interval, the pump fails.
pstock

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 7:44am

"Now then have you tried to clear a vapor lock? "

I am not familiar with this step. How does one clear a vapor lock?

Peter
D4F

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 9:17am

If you run the pump with the steam valve open, any air in the system is pumped out.  Most do this after steaming to refill the boiler.  If you do not steam and the machine drips, you can get some steam at the top of the boiler.  It blunts pressure but does not stop the pump.  It could sound odd running, but should run.  The only other vapor/air lock that I know of is when you get enough air in the line to the pump that it does not prime.  It still runs, and you are not describing that.

D4F also at
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.363332033157)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+