Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Alex Duetto Owners Thread
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 19 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Apr 3, 2013, 12:58pm
Subject: Re: Alex Duetto 3.0 on its way to me (arrived)

interesting.  so do you communicate with it remotely through your home wifi? or does it take a phone signal?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 6:58am

My brew pressure has crept back up to 10 bar.  I think it was three or four months ago when I adjusted it to 9.

I'm wondering if this means it's time for a descale, or if the pump adjustment just needs re-tweaking due to drift, or if this is indicative of another problem?

I backflush with water daily and with detergent about every week or two.

SSgt93

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 10:14am

johndrobison Said:

I have mine on a Belkin WeMo switch and use IFTTT for programming it. Super simple. You could even create different time presets to turn off and on as need. And even though I get up at the same time most always, if I need to change it I can quickly I can. Also, being able to send it a text on my way home to tell it to turn on is quite a luxury to have!

Posted April 3, 2013 link

I just looked up the Belkin WeMo, pretty cool device.  I will add this to my purchase as well. How convenient! Thanks!
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 4:45am

Can anyone comment on my post above...about the pressure creeping back up to 10bar?

EDIT:  OK, well...it didn't do it this morning -> Also, the past couple of days my first shot in the morning has been behaving weird. When I raise the lever to brew, the pressure sits at 0 for about 5 seconds, then ramps up to "normal".

CSME9
CSME9

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013, 9:50am

Duetto 3.0 price increased $100, now comes with a 2 yr warranty.
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013, 12:12pm

emradguy Said:

Can anyone comment on my post above...about the pressure creeping back up to 10bar?

EDIT:  OK, well...it didn't do it this morning -> Also, the past couple of days my first shot in the morning has been behaving weird. When I raise the lever to brew, the pressure sits at 0 for about 5 seconds, then ramps up to "normal".

Posted April 12, 2013 link

A few things to help:

1. Stop backflushing with detergent every 2 weeks, because i doubt you are dissasembling the E61 lever and cam system, drying it off completely and relubing with Dow Corning  111 Molycote. The surfaceses of the brass have to be completely  dry for it to coat it properly and not slide off within a few shots. This is not just a recommendation, this is a STOP!

2. If you are going to backflush, do it every 3 months or so and lubricate as above, details in the Coffeetime Wiki.

3. backlfush with water after you finish for the day, or if there's going to be a long time until the next shot.

4. Start doing this every 3 days.... treat it as one of the 10 commandments:  http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/how-to-make-a-big-improvement-in-shot-quality

5. How old is the machine

6, Is your water hard

1. When if ever have you descaled

2. Is it tanked, plumbed, or run from a bottle, if run from a bottle, is the bottle on the counter, under it or over it?

The lack of brew pressure for 5 seconds is a concern, because that pressure reading is taken directly from the pump head!
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013, 4:13pm

DavecUK Said:

Stop backflushing with detergent every 2 weeks, because i doubt you are dissasembling the E61 lever and cam system, drying it off completely and relubing with Dow Corning  111 Molycote. The surfaceses of the brass have to be completely  dry for it to coat it properly and not slide off within a few shots. This is not just a recommendation, this is a STOP!

Posted April 27, 2013 link

No, you're right.  Though I've disassembled the cam lever a couple of times to lube it, I haven't disassembled the entire group

DavecUK Said:

backlfush with water after you finish for the day, or if there's going to be a long time until the next shot.

this is part of my routine

DavecUK Said:

Start doing this every 3 days.... treat it as one of the 10 commandments:  http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/how-to-make-a-big-improvement-in-shot-quality

I think this is great advice

DavecUK Said:

How old is the machine

6, Is your water hard

When if ever have you descaled

Is it tanked, plumbed, or run from a bottle, if run from a bottle, is the bottle on the counter, under it or over it?

The lack of brew pressure for 5 seconds is a concern, because that pressure reading is taken directly from the pump head!

we've been through all of these last few question on prior discussions, as you seem to have forgotten.  The lack of pressure problem lasted only a couple of days...and I think it may have been from not completely lifting the brew lever, as the first day it didn't happen, I noticed I almost didn't raise it enough (hard to describe, but I'm over 90% sure the "problem" was the mano).

Anyhow, to recap the questions...machine is 17mos, water is 160 ppm GH, alkalinity ~100. I've descaled twice, but as said previously had an in tank softener until recently. We make about 40 espresso based drinks/week, mostly cappas and lattes. Still not plumbed.

B737NCapt

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 8:35am

I'm a long time roaster with a Hottop roaster and Vario grinder for drip coffee.  After reading these great forums, I called Mary at CCS and got a Duetto 3 inbound.  You're right she was great and made it easy.   I have never made espresso before but it will be fun learning.  Looking forward to reading all the knowledge here.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 8:38am

B737NCapt Said:

I'm a long time roaster with a Hottop roaster and Vario grinder for drip coffee.  After reading these great forums, I called Mary at CCS and got a Duetto 3 inbound.  You're right she was great and made it easy.   I have never made espresso before but it will be fun learning.  Looking forward to reading all the knowledge here.

Posted April 30, 2013 link

Congrats keep us posted.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
B737NCapt

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 4:26am

Looking for some guidance as my machine arrives tomorrow.  I have been reading all I can to try and dial in or be in the ball park to make good espresso when I start.  I realize this is all subjective and everyone has different tastes.  I have a Vario grinder and will set grinds at one space below finest.  Will run the D3 temps as it comes from CCS.  I will have it plumbed in (just read where preinfusion only works if plumed) and will make sure it runs at 9 bar.  I will be very mechanical with a timer on pulling shots.  I am going to make 10oz lattes and looking for 2 oz of espresso.  I have a 20g ridgeless VST basket coming and will put 20g of grinds in a naked PF for starters.  What time am I looking for to see first drops from PF?  Also how long should the pull be to get 2 oz of espresso?  Is over 26 too long?  I will be using the Espro 30# tamper so that part will be consistent.  I know to adjust grind to change these values.  Just looking for time values.  Thanks and I appreciate the input.
showing page 19 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.485172986984)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+