Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 75 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
doug_s

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: livia 90 & gaggia classic
Grinder: baratza vario & preciso
Drip: bodum french press
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 9:17am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

washburned Said:

He was not aware of the change until I told him as far as I could tell.

On another note I think I am finally getting used to the machine. I am consistently getting good shots and the steaming is coming along too.

Posted January 17, 2013 link

i was yust on the 1st line website today.  (checking out the mystery washer.)  if you look at the a006 cuadra's, it still says the v2's have an insulated boiler...

these cuadra's do look like nice machines.  but, i doubt they would be an upgrade from my pasquini livia.  i think i need to start saving my pennies for a quickmill qm67...

doug .
 View Profile Link to this post
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:20am

Guys,

Using the machines for a week now,  I've found i still have an odd smell/taste on water coming from the boiler (stream and hot water).   I've run at least a gallon through both over the course of the week,  but it doesn't seem to be dissipating.   It's an odd smell.   Not bad,  just off.   Anything i can do to stop it?
MDiddy

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:36am

One other question.  

Could any of you with the V1 version (non insulated boiler) and V2 version (insulated boiler) please let me know what your PStat cycles are are?  How long is it on/off?

I'd like to see if there is an actual difference in boiler insulation.   If the Pstat actually does cycle less with the insulated boiler, I may go ahead and insulate it myself.
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:57am

MDiddy Said:

Guys,

Using the machines for a week now,  I've found i still have an odd smell/taste on water coming from the boiler (stream and hot water).   I've run at least a gallon through both over the course of the week,  but it doesn't seem to be dissipating.   It's an odd smell.   Not bad,  just off.   Anything i can do to stop it?

Posted January 23, 2013 link

Milk is probably your culprit here.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
1stline
1stline

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:03pm

1stline Said:

Milk is probably your culprit here.

Posted January 24, 2013 link

I just checked with the tech. It can also be your water reacting with the new metal. What type of water are you using? Have you changed it to see if this resolved it?

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

1stline
1stline

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:07pm

doug_s Said:

i was yust on the 1st line website today.  (checking out the mystery washer.)  if you look at the a006 cuadra's, it still says the v2's have an insulated boiler...

these cuadra's do look like nice machines.  but, i doubt they would be an upgrade from my pasquini livia.  i think i need to start saving my pennies for a quickmill qm67...

doug .

Posted January 23, 2013 link

Doug,

Since you are not that far away (should be less than a 4 hour drive unless you moved), you are more than welcome to visit and check out the Cuadra in person. And, yes, my programmer made an oversight in not correcting the 'other' pages about the insulation. My apologies.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

MDiddy

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:13pm

1stline Said:

I just checked with the tech. It can also be your water reacting with the new metal. What type of water are you using? Have you changed it to see if this resolved it?

Jim,

The water I'm using is fridge filtered and then also Brita filtered to help reduce some of the hardness.   My water is on the harder side, but nothing outrageous.  I haven't tested it, but I don't think it is anything THAT bad.

As for milk, I don't think that's it.   It's not a bad/foul smell.  More like a metallic kind of odor.  I pretty religious and wiping and purging the wand after steaming.
doug_s

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: livia 90 & gaggia classic
Grinder: baratza vario & preciso
Drip: bodum french press
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 1:09pm

1stline Said:

Doug,

Since you are not that far away (should be less than a 4 hour drive unless you moved), you are more than welcome to visit and check out the Cuadra in person. And, yes, my programmer made an oversight in not correcting the 'other' pages about the insulation. My apologies.

hey jim,

no problem re: the website insulation issue - i was simply giving you a heads-up.  i know that the v2 info was changed some time ago - i only knew about the supposed boiler insulation  from the a006 page...

re: the cuadra, i have no doubts it's a superb machine, especially for the money.  but you (1st line) sell(s) the pasquini livia 90 - do *you* think the cuadra would be a worthwhile upgrade?

thanks,

doug
MDiddy

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 2:43pm

doug_s Said:

hey jim,

no problem re: the website insulation issue - i was simply giving you a heads-up.  i know that the v2 info was changed some time ago - i only knew about the supposed boiler insulation  from the a006 page...

re: the cuadra, i have no doubts it's a superb machine, especially for the money.  but you (1st line) sell(s) the pasquini livia 90 - do *you* think the cuadra would be a worthwhile upgrade?

thanks,

doug

Doug,

I'm not Jim (obviously) but IMO, it's up in the air if the features are an upgrade for you.  You can look at a few things:

1.  E61 Group - This may be worth the upgrade alone.   It really does make for a great shot.
  2.  Larger Boiler - 1.8 vs. 1.3 L.
  3.  Looks - The Livia is a great machine, but looks a bit dated.
  4.  Price - I've looked, and you're not going to find another E61 HX machine for anywhere close to this price.  The next closest is going to be the QM Anita for about 500.00 more.

Having had the machine for about 2 weeks now, I can honestly say I'm in love.  I'm not pulling a God Shot, but the ones I am pulling are very, very good.  A big step up from my Breville 840.  

For all the minor quibbles you hear about with this machine, you can always come back to the price.   Once you realize what you're actually getting for the money, IMO, it's a no brainer.
tdifraia

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM67
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bunn
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 4:41pm

E61 HX .... Expobars Office Lever can be taken for the same price.

MDiddy Said:

Doug,

Price - I've looked, and you're not going to find another E61 HX machine for anywhere close to this price.  The next closest is going to be the QM Anita for about 500.00 more.

For all the minor quibbles you hear about with this machine, you can always come back to the price.   Once you realize what you're actually getting for the money, IMO, it's a no brainer.

showing page 75 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.467876911163)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+