Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Alex Duetto Owners Thread
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 18 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 6:54am
Subject: Re: Alex Duetto 3.0 on its way to me (arrived)

+1 You can save a few bucks on the accumulator if you shop ebay and your careful to get the right one. I would add mount everything on a piece of thick rubber matt and keep the lines on the accumulator side of the flow jet short not touching anything needlessly to keep it all nice and quite.

Yes I put the BDB and CC1 in the same class, yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
 View Profile Link to this post
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 7:47am

jwoodyu Said:

+1 You can save a few bucks on the accumulator if you shop ebay and your careful to get the right one. I would add mount everything on a piece of thick rubber matt and keep the lines on the accumulator side of the flow jet short not touching anything needlessly to keep it all nice and quite.

Posted March 12, 2013 link

The first accumlator tank I used was a 2 gal. potable expansion tank bought from lowes ($48) just make sure its for potable water and is powder coated inside if you go this route. but if your going to use RO water I would stick with a fiber tank,also it's best to put 1/4 turn ball valve shutoffs between filters,gauges,tanks,ect. better to Isolate components for quick change outs and repairs. also with a accumulator tank make sure bladder pressure is ajusted to atleast 2psi below pump cutout pressure, I think on flowjets the cutout is 47psi. I lowered my acc. tank pressure to 7psi wich gave me 1gal of water in my acc tank. my flojet would kick on about every 5-10 shots on the hx machine (reason for bigger acc tank) wich was great considering all the flushing.with the duetto it would probly only run once evry 10-12 shots or so. I used a piece of peg board to mount everything made it very easy to mount and ajust components.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 1:45pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that the system needs to be airtight to achieve proper pressures (other than a valve to allow the fresh water vessel to draw air through so it doesn't implode)?  Or does that not matter, because of the pump?  The reason I ask is because I found a couple of good sites for buying rectangular carboys, and if I go that route (instead of standard round bottles), I can get both a drain receptacle and a fresh water vessel in the under-counter space I intend to use.  However, I don't know the mouth opening of the carboys and am wondering how difficult it will be to find a "right fit" where the pump draws from the vessel.

Oh, and Rob...sorry for hijacking your thread!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 2:05pm

As long as the pickup goes under the water your fine. There is cap type thing that fits around the mouth of the carboy but its primary function is to keep it sanitary. You don't stuff crawling or falling into the jug. Personally I would go with the smaller expansion chamber so the water is cycling through more frequently spending less time in contact with the rubber bladder etc.

Yes I put the BDB and CC1 in the same class, yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 3:23pm

emradguy Said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that the system needs to be airtight to achieve proper pressures (other than a valve to allow the fresh water vessel to draw air through so it doesn't implode)?  Or does that not matter, because of the pump?  The reason I ask is because I found a couple of good sites for buying rectangular carboys, and if I go that route (instead of standard round bottles), I can get both a drain receptacle and a fresh water vessel in the under-counter space I intend to use.  However, I don't know the mouth opening of the carboys and am wondering how difficult it will be to find a "right fit" where the pump draws from the vessel.

Oh, and Rob...sorry for hijacking your thread!

jwoodyu Said:

As long as the pickup goes under the water your fine. There is cap type thing that fits around the mouth of the carboy but its primary function is to keep it sanitary. You don't stuff crawling or falling into the jug. Personally I would go with the smaller expansion chamber so the water is cycling through more frequently spending less time in contact with the rubber bladder etc.

+1 no positive pressure needed in water vessel. Just to expand on what John said, the other end of the water wand has a cut off float installed incase your water bottle runs out of water to protect the pump. never ran mine low enough for it to kick in but looks like it would happen at about 1/4 gal (in a 5 gal bottle). My reason for going with the bigger expansion tank was mostly due to the cooling flushes on the alex hx I had it hooked to and contact with the bladder caused no off taste. but did have some reservations after reading some post about stale water.(I spent to many sleepless nights reading up on water quality). If I had used it with my duetto I probly would have went smaller.
(sorry rob)
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 3:54pm

So CCS doesn't seem to carry accumulators and their pump looks very different from the one that EP sells.  I was thinking maybe just pickup the pump and accumulator combo from EP (I think they say the accumulator is set at 30 psi) and then get the rest of what I need from CCS (JG fittings and lines, and particle/carbon filter).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 4:24pm

Changed the main title to "Alex Duetto Owners thread".

This is all good stuff for me an many others so no more apologies and keep it up.

I myself started looking at the flow jet after my initial decision to get the CCS under sink filtration and water softening, then the commercial unit, and this led into a whole house system and about to spend well over $10k. I am now seriously looking at a flow jet and making my own designer water since nothing else would allow tuning of the water I really wanted. Ugh, my therapist says I have serious control issues, I might agree with him if I didn't think he was trying to change me.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 7:19pm

germantownrob Said:

my therapist says I have serious control issues, I might agree with him if I didn't think he was trying to change me.

So OCD would more properly spelled CDO.

kboom1
kboom1

Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 5:55am

lol OCD I hear that all the time ...........were sutch a special group of coffee enthusiast. I guess you could consider our forum something like an AA coffee suport group also...Hi my name is joe and I've been a coffee junky for 12years.

I think EP carries the watts wich is a fine choise. I think they are quite a bit higher in price and you might want to check out space requirments for it. I think they are bigger not sure though

custom water is nice to use (done it for a while) but testing is a pain. I used to test my water every 25/30 gal or so. hardness/alkalinity/TDS ect. if you test with strips not accurate but will get you in the ballpark.end point kits are better but are more time consuming.

I'm in the process now of building a bypass/mixer for my commercial softener from CCS so I can talor my water hardness/ect. for the duetto.
johndrobison

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Kalita Wave
Posted Wed Apr 3, 2013, 12:42pm

emradguy Said:

ah, ok, I see.  Mine goes on at 5:30, but you won't catch me up before 6 unless there's an intruder alert or we have to catch an early flight to go somewhere fun.  Mine is also a PIA to reprogram, but it has a bypass button on the front, so if I do want to turn the machine on outside of the programmed block, all I have to do is push it.

Posted March 8, 2013 link

I have mine on a Belkin WeMo switch and use IFTTT for programming it. Super simple. You could even create different time presets to turn off and on as need. And even though I get up at the same time most always, if I need to change it I can quickly I can. Also, being able to send it a text on my way home to tell it to turn on is quite a luxury to have!
showing page 18 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.480980873108)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+