Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Alex Duetto Owners Thread
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 8 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 5:34pm
Subject: Re: Alex Duetto 3.0 on its way to me

hate to continue the offtopic topic...here's the freezing experiment done by Ken Fox and Jim Schulman.

http://www.home-barista.com/store-coffee-in-freezer.html
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 6:58pm

I read that and at the end found this, which is hardly scientific,it is subjective.

"Jim Schulman has previously communicated his results of some informal coffee "cupping" experiments he has done with frozen coffee. Cupping is of course a far different process than is espresso making and some would say that one can have more precision in cupping than one can have in judging coffee served as espresso. Jim reported that although he could tell previously frozen from never frozen coffee more often than if by chance, the differences were subtle and defied characterization along the lines of anything "systematic" or "easily describable." He felt he was no better in discriminating between frozen and never frozen than he would be in detecting subtle differences between different roast batches of the same coffee, neither of which had ever been frozen. I should add that Jim does not have a freezer that holds very cold temperatures like mine does, however he did freeze his coffee immediately after he roasted it.

I think we should abandon this discussion and move on into our friends new machine like intended,dont you.

frank828 Said:

hate to continue the offtopic topic...here's the freezing experiment done by Ken Fox and Jim Schulman.

http://www.home-barista.com/store-coffee-in-freezer.html

Posted January 18, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2013, 7:00pm

Iluvdabean Said:

I read that and at the end found this, which is hardly scientific,it is subjective.

"Jim Schulman has previously communicated his results of some informal coffee "cupping" experiments he has done with frozen coffee. Cupping is of course a far different process than is espresso making and some would say that one can have more precision in cupping than one can have in judging coffee served as espresso. Jim reported that although he could tell previously frozen from never frozen coffee more often than if by chance, the differences were subtle and defied characterization along the lines of anything "systematic" or "easily describable." He felt he was no better in discriminating between frozen and never frozen than he would be in detecting subtle differences between different roast batches of the same coffee, neither of which had ever been frozen. I should add that Jim does not have a freezer that holds very cold temperatures like mine does, however he did freeze his coffee immediately after he roasted it.

I think we should abandon this discussion and move on into our friends new machine like intended,dont you.

for sure!!
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 7:17am

I think thats awesome. If there is anything that really gives me upgrade fever its hearing about all the fine tuning that can be done on an expensive machine and the
consistency,not to mention it looks like a work of art. For me its hard to justify that price in relation to my needs but I often entertain a Quickmill Silvano from Chris.Time well tell.
Once again sorry bro for the freezing bean side track.I wont comment on that again,heck I might even give it a try.

germantownrob Said:

I have been playing with this two pounds of Aleco blend  from sweet Maria's at 199f, 200, and 201. 201f, 201f is the winner. Each temp change had made a noticeable result in the cup, my liking of 201 is only a matter of personal choice over the 200f shots since they where delicious as well. This truly has put my head at ease about temperature of what goes in the cup with the Duetto. I am very please and surprised, I didn't think I would be able to tell a 1f change in temp in the cup.

Do I still want an Eric's E-61 thermometer and his Scace? well heck ya.

germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 8:03am

Iluvdabean Said:

I think thats awesome. If there is anything that really gives me upgrade fever its hearing about all the fine tuning that can be done on an expensive machine and the
consistency,not to mention it looks like a work of art. For me its hard to justify that price in relation to my needs but I often entertain a Quickmill Silvano from Chris.Time well tell.
Once again sorry bro for the freezing bean side track.I wont comment on that again,heck I might even give it a try.

Posted January 19, 2013 link

Don't be sorry Steve, we where all just having a chat and if we want to take it up again we have a number of threads that can be brought back to life to do it.

I have no justification for spending this amount on a hot water delivery system, I just have ways of tricking my brain to think I am doing the right thing.

I have been playing with steam boiler temps this morning. I bumped my steam boiler up to 260 from the default 255f, 255 was taking to long to bring 8oz of milk to temp and 260 does it much quicker (sorry no times milk it just to darn expensive, lol). Problem solved, at least for 8-10oz of milk. 4oz of milk wants to jump out of the pitcher at 260f but 255f is perfect. It is very easy to make this change on the PID and it only takes 12 sec for the boiler to make the change up, less to go down. Easy peasy.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 8:22am

Thanks Rob! Why, you ask?  Well...because I bumped my steam boiler to 260 many months ago and never once did I ever consider lowering it temporarily for small milk volumes!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 8:53am

Rob, did you ever pull your no burn liner out?

After two years the safety valve on my steam boiler is starting to get week. that will be the first repair I have had to make. I am down to 255 and it still vents to much.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 9:21am

emradguy Said:

Thanks Rob! Why, you ask?  Well...because I bumped my steam boiler to 260 many months ago and never once did I ever consider lowering it temporarily for small milk volumes!

I have been telling people for years crazy people can be useful. Do you mind if I show them this?

jwoodyu Said:

Rob, did you ever pull your no burn liner out?

After two years the safety valve on my steam boiler is starting to get week. that will be the first repair I have had to make. I am down to 255 and it still vents to much.

Not yet. I want to get a feel for it stock but I can't help but wonder that the excessive moist steam of the no burn is making steaming 3-4oz more difficult then it should be. I think by tomorrow I will have enough data to go ahead and pull the silicon tube out to compare the performances. I will admit that I am enjoying the easy wipe off of the no burn plus the ability to grab the wand anywhere but the steam is wet.

John do you think it has anything to do with the mod? Doesn't seem like it should. The only release I get on a new machine is when the steam boiler vents some false pressure approaching boiling temps.

Thinking it is time to pop the hood today. Sure I was in there the first day but my attention was on doing what needed to be done to get up and running. I am at 10.2 bar on the brew boiler with a blind and 10 bar during a shot, I am used to 10.5-11 bar on the Oscar so felt no rush to change what I knew for the first week. Curiosity has got the better of me so time to adjust, ugh, 10mm hex nuts here I come. 9 bar or 9.5 bar, decisions.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 9:28am

Encountered my first problem. While typing above I had turned my steam boiler to max PID setting of 262f to see if there was any release while sitting idle, I just opened the steam valve to see the level of moisture at this setting, valve will not shut off.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 9:39am

Something like a hydro lock or steam lock going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCcDFzSZ8go

germantownrob Said:

Encountered my first problem. While typing above I had turned my steam boiler to max PID setting of 262f to see if there was any release while sitting idle, I just opened the steam valve to see the level of moisture at this setting, valve will not shut off.

showing page 8 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.522654056549)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+