Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Pavoni EBR Not Making Coffee
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Pavoni EBR...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
odangelo

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 2:34pm
Subject: La Pavoni EBR Not Making Coffee

I have a La Pavoni EBR (type 12) that decided this morning to not produce coffee.  I think what happened is that I stupidly let the water get too low in the reservoir and this morning the pump was sucking air.  When I opened up the case, the boiler was working fine (hot) and I noticed no corroded connections.  The unit is approximately 5 years old.  Taking the unit in for repair is ridiculously expensive.  Does anyone know how to troubleshoot the pump (electrical and mechanically)?  Is there a way to prime the pump again without replacing it?

Thank you.
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 3:46pm
Subject: Re: La Pavoni EBR Not Making Coffee

I think that the EBR is the chrome looking one with the green rocker-switches, right?  It;s just a littlr guy with a vibrating pump, anyway.   If the pump is making noise, then it is trying to pump.  Force water through it to prime it.  If it's not making noise, then it is either burnt out or not getting power.   Check for power with a voltmeter.  Check both ways, some machines have a diode inline with the pump to half-phase the pump's operation.   So if it has power and isn't making any noise, it is dead. If you can get a new pump for less than half the price of replacing the machine,  replace the pump.
If it has no power check the safety thermal fuses and high-limit thermostats on top of the boiler and what-not. See what does and does not have power, and you'll find the reason your pump has none.
odangelo

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013, 8:14pm

Thanks SStones for replying.  The EBR that I have is indeed the one with three green rocker switches on the front.  The pump is making noise so I believe it has power but I'll check the wiring anyway.  I have an illustrated parts list but does anyone have a wiring diagram (or perhaps can tell me what green, white and black wires represent)?  I can tracing the wiring but I'd like to save time and guesswork.  Any suggestions on how to easily force water through the pump to prime it?
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 8:52am

One way to prime a vibration pump is with those squeezy plastic ketchup bottles with the pointy squirter end that you see in diners.  Get one of those from the dollar store, fill it with water, stick the pointy end into your silicon hose that goes to the pump inlet, gently squeeze the water into the pump, if there's a lot of resistance, you can try with the pump running for a few seconds.  If there's still a lot of resistance, you can take the outlet-end hose off the pump to make sure it isn't something further down-stream causing the blockage.
If you have no ketchup squirter, maybe a turkey baster?  You can even do it next to a sink with only a tightly gripped plastic baggie full of water held around the hose.  I'm sure you can picture the image.
odangelo

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 2:01pm

Success!  I tried to prime the pump manually but it was just not working.  No matter how much pressure I put through the syringe, it wasn't going through the pump (either while operating or off).  I was seriously disappointed and went to check prices for pumps online.

Fast forward five days to today...  I was cleaning out my office and came across the original user manual for the machine at the bottom of a moving box.  Low and behold, the procedure for starting up a freshly unpacked machine was there in black & white.  Following it to the letter, the pump primed quickly and easily and I've got great coffee again!!!  The pump still needed to be primed, but the procedure was just different.  So, my friend SStones, thank you for responding and your advice.  No matter how I got here, I'm back in business!
betxs
betxs

Espresso: Wega MiniNova(vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Gene Cafe; Bravi by Swissmar
Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 2:56pm

Well, tell us all what "the procedure" is?
Jaap_98

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 3:36am

procedure is simple: open steamwand, activate pump, let water run through.
it is then primed.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Pavoni EBR...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.333734035492)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+