Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 144 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
benpiff
benpiff
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: RocketR58,GrimacMini,Vetrano
Grinder: K10Fresh,LSM FK
Vac Pot: Vario,Pharos
Drip: Livia 90, NS Elli
Roaster: Sonofresco ADR
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 3:26pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Hi guys, has anyone noticed leaking from any parts of the OPV during adjustment? I got a little scared that by rotating it towards me to gain better access, I might have unseated something in between the upper and lower halves (saw some drips during backflush test). So I slid the hose and clamp on a little further, and tried to tighten the two halves together.

Then pulled this beauty. What do you think about the brew pressure showing 9 bar at the beginning and then dropping a little towards the end. Should I tighten the adjustment collar a hair more? I'm leaving the back panel off for a little while to see if any water accumulates near the OPV.
http://youtu.be/VKbU_5yC9K0

www.oldparkedcars.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 2:45am

benpiff Said:

Then pulled this beauty. What do you think about the brew pressure showing 9 bar at the beginning and then dropping a little towards the end. Should I tighten the adjustment collar a hair more? I'm leaving the back panel off for a little while to see if any water accumulates near the OPV.

Posted January 21, 2013 link

Looks pretty good to me, I think I read somewhere that anywhere from 8 - 10 is OK. You got a little gushiness toward the end, was the shot on the bitter side?

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 4:56am

benpiff Said:

http://youtu.be/VKbU_5yC9K0

I usually pull my best shots at an indicated pressure of 9 bar. I don't believe that you want to adjust the OPV any more as the function of an OPV (Overpressure Prevention Valve) or a PRV (Pressure release valve) is to limit the maximum pressure on the system. Mine is set to just above 10 bar (from the factory).
You can check that by using the blind ("rubber" cleaning stopper in the basket) and holding the double shot as in the flushing/cleaning video from Breville.

The "extraction pressure" is set, essentially, by the resistance presented by the charge in the basket. E.G. an empty basket would generate almost no pressure drop and I would guess a hard tamped turkish ground charge would put the pressure drop into the OPV limiting range. I usually try to adjust my grind, weight, and tamp so that I see about 9 bar during extraction. It would be interesting to plot that pressure curve, however, I imagine that we can't get at that data any other way than via a video of the guage and counting frames etc.

Just my 2 cents,

Cheers,

Dave

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
 View Profile Link to this post
benpiff
benpiff
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: RocketR58,GrimacMini,Vetrano
Grinder: K10Fresh,LSM FK
Vac Pot: Vario,Pharos
Drip: Livia 90, NS Elli
Roaster: Sonofresco ADR
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 8:31am

I don't recall any bitterness in that shot, but then again milk does hide a lot of defects. I've got a few different roasts that are aged a little over a week now, and they're consistently very solid (not overly interesting, but very forgiving). Your comments were perfectly timed for me to snag a lightly used bottomless in the for sale thread!

Today I pulled two shots that were both a bit too slow, and the gauge said closer to 10 so I'm definitely happy with the settings and think I'll close the case up. Quite surprising how much having that back panel off increases pump noise, it makes me think it wouldn't be that hard to add a little sound insulation, but I'm sure it would be more work than I'm interested in. I think I'll research pump sound insulating solutions, such as making a small box around it.

Also, what's your guys' preferred steaming technique? Such as angle of the wand, adjusting of steam power or fully open, amount of time stretching vs mixing (any favorite steaming and latte art videos with this machine)? What are your most successful PID settings for various roasts?

www.oldparkedcars.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
wjordan

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Breville BEX900XL
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Precise
Roaster: Local - Hasbeans, London, ON
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 3:08pm

Contrabass_Bry Said:

Wayne,

The purpose of the "wiggle" is for an exterior cleaning around the grouphead. Having water running while loosely engaging/disengaging the PF will shoot water out between the PF and the gasket (and maybe loosen some leftover grinds from the shower screen).

The backflush is for the internals. As Bubbadude stated, it vents into the drip tray (just like in the Seattle Coffee Gear video using the Rocket.)

Here is the "wiggle" on the BDB: click here

Here is the chemical backflush on the BDB: click here

Thanks Bubba and Contrabass!

You guys have been a wealth of information thus far!

Cheers,
Wayne
Dr_Coffee_House
Dr_Coffee_House

Espresso: Minnore III, BCF, DCM Others
Grinder: MaCap, BZ02, Vario,Eureka
Vac Pot: a few
Drip: one
Roaster: HT, KKTO and Antique French...
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 3:59pm

BubbaDude Said:

It goes through the OPV to the drip tray.

ROFLMAO -  Urban  myth yet again....

You guys need to understand the flow paths and the way different systems are configured, no wonder confusion reins when users start trying to tell service people how their system work...

I leave you to think about it and consider the 3way valve and its function....

EDIT:  Poster has re thought and edited org post.  

NOTE:  Many other posts here contain miss information from forum based experts, but it it not worth the effort to correct... Unless it tickles the ivories!!!

Bling does not make coffee.... Get over it.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 4:06pm

Dr_Coffee_House Said:

You guys need to understand the flow paths and the way different systems are configured, no wonder confusion reins when users start trying to tell service people how their system work...

Posted January 22, 2013 link

Thanks for pointing that out, it certainly is incorrect. My comment has now been edited, so it would be nice if its current content is reflected in your quote; we wouldn't want to confuse anyone, would we?

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 5:09pm

Dr_Coffee_House Said:

NOTE:  Many other posts here contain miss information from forum based experts, but it it not worth the effort to correct... Unless it tickles the ivories!!!

I DISAGREE. The purpose of these forums is to pass along good information, not to score troll points or to drum up business.

Dr_Coffee_House
Dr_Coffee_House

Espresso: Minnore III, BCF, DCM Others
Grinder: MaCap, BZ02, Vario,Eureka
Vac Pot: a few
Drip: one
Roaster: HT, KKTO and Antique French...
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 6:18pm

BubbaDude Said:

I DISAGREE. The purpose of these forums is to pass along good information, not to score troll points or to drum up business.

Yes, but from DAY ONE you have attacked (including lots of name calling) and disputed my information and that of others that have attempted to provide to this topic. Regardless of the fact that we may live and breath coffee and often do so for a living.  So much so, that that topics have been locked, and real world, open and honest input is discouraged.

Therefore I defer to your greater knowledge and understanding of coffee and the BES900; above all others....

PS. for those that are interested, a pic of the latest Breville BES900 3-way solenoid gasket is available on the web. This may assist those who wish to make their own, should local service not be available post warranty; you just need to search.

Bling does not make coffee.... Get over it.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 6:38pm

Dr_Coffee_House Said:

Yes, but from DAY ONE you have attacked (including lots of name calling) and disputed my information and that of others that have attempted to provide to this topic. Regardless of the fact that we may live and breath coffee and often do so for a living.  So much so, that that topics have been locked, and real world, open and honest input is discouraged.

There there, let's not get over-excited. I have never claimed any special expertise in coffee machine repair, I'm simply a one-year BDB owner with daily experience in the use of the machine. I leave the grand claims of cosmic wisdom to others, including the hit-and-run commenters who deal in vague insinuations and can't be bothered to leave specific, useful information.

showing page 144 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.515289068222)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+