Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Minco solid state thermostat install?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Minco solid...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Ladede

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Espresso Vivace
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:26am
Subject: Minco solid state thermostat install?

(Warning: I also asked unsuccessfully on H-B: Click Here (www.home-barista.com) If you are a member of both forums, please pick one to respond. Thanks a lot!)

Is there anybody here who's done a Minco thermostat install (CT325PD1C1 controller along with a ribbon sensor and an AC relay)? I'm looking for information... I am looking to replace my thermostat (I snapped the copper lead from the bulb) and this might be a nice option if it's not too expensive (vs a few tens of dollars for a stock bulb thermostat)... I am looking specifically for two things: 1/ caveats/instructions on the wiring, 2/ guidance on where one puts the temp sensor (ribbon)? Thermowell? Side of the boiler?

There is a six-year old thread here... The poster seems to not have been active since, and part numbers have changed (though Im pretty sure the right sensor would be a S17624PDZxxB or xxA).

There may also be a better solution for the money, or a cheaper equivalent position... I'd like to improve on the bulb thermostat but am not willing to spend much over $100.

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 11:31am
Subject: Re: Minco solid state thermostat install?

How about:
1 - a link to the thermostat's sale page, p[hotos, specifications, schematic...?
2 - Installed on WHAT?
3 - Photos of where it is going (mounting location, wire placement, etc.).
Unless I missed something, there is little to comment or advise upon.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Ladede

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Espresso Vivace
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 2:46pm

frcn Said:

Unless I missed something, there is little to comment or advise upon.

Posted January 22, 2013 link

That's because I was looking to elicit comments/be advised by people who have done that installation... For context, http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/196501#196501 for DanLick's post about it, and also Click Here (www.home-barista.com) for a picture.
sgreen
sgreen
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Viblemme Replica E-61
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 4:39pm

Minco is only a couple of miles from me, so I called them about this control.

They have $100 minimum and you are going to need a controller, power supply, solid state relay, and temperature sensor. The controller is $69, but bear in mind that they build these to minimum order quantities and your selection is limited to whatever over run they just happen to have in stock.

I didn't find them cheaper anyplace else. If you know of a vendor, please let me know. They're pretty neat.

Depending on the model number, the thermocouple type and required voltage of the power supply are variable. If you get your hands on one, make certain that you source an appropriate thermocouple and power supply specific to your device. All told, you are probably going to be in the $120-150 range.

If I was going to do it on the cheap, I'd try one of these:

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

It's pretty much the same device with a display and buttons.

I would have some concern about overshoot though. It's just one of those things you try and see how fast the controller can respond. The value of the PID control is that you can adjust for that type of thing.

It's not elegant, but you can put the thermocouple on the boiler somewhere under the water level and hold it in place with under a piece of silicone held in place with a stainless hose clamp.

If you can find room to make it fit, the rest of the wiring should be somewhat obvious. If it's not, either forget the whole thing or make sure you have new batteries in your smoke detectors.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Minco solid...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.358552932739)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+