Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 94 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
pfn

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: KA Proline w/ Mazzer Mini...
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 6:23am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

888RP Said:

After i engage the pump and flush the grouphead the temp will go from 165 to a temp of 200ish.

Posted April 19, 2013 link

What does your pressure gauge read during this time? If it's at least .8bar your machine is simply taking a while to heat up. I don't believe I hit 200F in 20 minutes on my machine, more like 45...
 View Profile Link to this post
888RP

Espresso: Cuadra
Grinder: Vario
Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 6:52am

pfn Said:

What does your pressure gauge read during this time? If it's at least .8bar your machine is simply taking a while to heat up. I don't believe I hit 200F in 20 minutes on my machine, more like 45...

thanks for the reply, the pstat reads .8-1bar. I don't think that's it. I have 20 observations of data.

15 observations: turn machine on, pump is engaged immediately, 20-30 minutes later the grouphead is at 200F and pstat between 0.8-1bar
5 observations: turn machine on, pump does NOT engage, 20-30 minutes later the group head is at about 150-165F and pstat is between 0.8-1bar. As soon as i flush the machine, the temp on the grouphead begins to rise again.

All 20 observations - full water tank and the machine was off all night.
pfn

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 6:57am

888RP Said:

thanks for the reply, the pstat reads .8-1bar. I don't think that's it. I have 20 observations of data.

15 observations: turn machine on, pump is engaged immediately, 20-30 minutes later the grouphead is at 200F and pstat between 0.8-1bar
5 observations: turn machine on, pump does NOT engage, 20-30 minutes later the group head is at about 150-165F and pstat is between 0.8-1bar. As soon as i flush the machine, the temp on the grouphead begins to rise again.

All 20 observations - full water tank and the machine was off all night.

Wait longer for days the pump does not engage?

Sounds like a thermosiphon stall; my machine doesn't doesn't engage the pump when turned on that I recall (I rarely turn it on myself, timer in the morning does it for me before I wake)
888RP

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 7:02am

pfn Said:

Wait longer for days the pump does not engage?

Sounds like a thermosiphon stall; my machine doesn't doesn't engage the pump when turned on that I recall (I rarely turn it on myself, timer in the morning does it for me before I wake)

do thermosyphone stalls damage the machine? My concern is that the boiler is heated up with no water in it when this is happenning. Does that make sense or am i way off base? I only really have a conceptual understanding of how HX machines work..
pfn

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 9:23am

888RP Said:

do thermosyphone stalls damage the machine? My concern is that the boiler is heated up with no water in it when this is happenning. Does that make sense or am i way off base? I only really have a conceptual understanding of how HX machines work..

It's unlikely that your boiler does not have water in it. (if your water is draining over night, you'd have a mess of water on your countertop or in your drip train). You could easily verify by opening the hot water tap, after some water is dispensed, water will be pumped into the boiler.

The thermosiphon stalling isn't a big deal, it just means water isn't getting into the grouphead to heat it up for some reason or other; flushing it to get a temperature differential results in the water moving again.
888RP

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 9:37am

pfn Said:

It's unlikely that your boiler does not have water in it. (if your water is draining over night, you'd have a mess of water on your countertop or in your drip train). You could easily verify by opening the hot water tap, after some water is dispensed, water will be pumped into the boiler.

The thermosiphon stalling isn't a big deal, it just means water isn't getting into the grouphead to heat it up for some reason or other; flushing it to get a temperature differential results in the water moving again.

ahh okay. That makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to reply to this.
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 10:27am

Hey guys,  just wondering,  how often are you doing a descale on your machines?    What kind of frequency are you using?
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 5:38am

I am doing 3x per year.
scanfield

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 10:22am

MDiddy Said:

Hey guys,  just wondering,  how often are you doing a descale on your machines?    What kind of frequency are you using?

Posted April 20, 2013 link

Monthly.

The right answer for you totally depends on your water hardness.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 6:07pm

I am going to follow Jims recommendations and use the products they recommend,on the time schedule they recommend. I am logging the amount of drinks i make.Right now until I retire in June ( Thank You Lord) it isnt everyday like I
will be doing then. Right now in three weekends I have made 54 double shot drinks. I suspect after one more weekend making one full month, that will go up to 70 double ounce drinks. Now does that warrant
descaling  once a month or is two months better for that type of usage.I am using the inline softener/Bilt treated Alpine water also. When I retire I will be using it everyday and then I will expect a monthly descaling. I will run this by Jim to see what he thinks but
I have no problem doing it once a month right now. To me if you buy something you do the maintenance if you want it to last.Period.

scanfield Said:

Monthly.

The right answer for you totally depends on your water hardness.

Posted April 21, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 94 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.455539941788)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+