Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What is the cheapest new bare bones espresso maker that I can get.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What is the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 7 first page previous page
Author Messages
Jenn312

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 4:04pm
Subject: Re: What is the cheapest new bare bones espresso maker that I can get.

Thanks everyone I picked up a moka pot from Target and ordered my beans and hand grinder online, hopefully it works out if not I will just do an emergency moka pot upgrade to either an Aroma or Evo. This thread has been very informative and everyone has courteous and helpful. Thank you all. :)
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 5:22pm

Good luck and let us know how its going!
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 6:23pm

Jenn312 Said:

Thanks everyone I picked up a moka pot from Target and ordered my beans and hand grinder online, hopefully it works out if not I will just do an emergency moka pot upgrade to either an Aroma or Evo. This thread has been very informative and everyone has courteous and helpful. Thank you all. :)

Posted January 28, 2013 link

Good luck, Jenn! I know we confused the heck out of you, but I promise we only want you to make an informed decision. Haha. Too many of our coffee stories start out with a misinformed buying decision that ended up being a complete waste of money.

-Dave-
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 7:35am

diggi Said:

.....ummm don't know what to say to this.  Then why is your equipment list so long, including things like pharos, K30, La Pavoni Strat, etc, etc.....
I know you'll have a 'crafty' response. I don't say this to insult, but to stress that your comment may seem to the inexperienced that you make excellent espresso with cheap gear. But in fact you have very pricy gear to achieve this.....

EDIT: I apologize that this came off so kurt. Not my intention. Again, sorry. I guess I just expected you to indicate that great shots were not the norm with this set-up without some serious effort, and that better equipment makes this task much easier, especially for someone starting out.

Posted January 28, 2013 link

No offence taken, but the OP asked for the "cheapest new bare bones espresso maker" and $33 plus tax is pretty cheap. For those without an Aldi store in their area, this is a grocery store with roots in Germany. They sell limited selections of product - in fact most are their own private label products - but have good pricing as a a result. Crofton is their private label for home electronics.

This item popped up around Christmas and might be sold out in most stores but the area I visited is not exactly an espresso mecca so several were available marked down to $33. The portafilter is identical to the one that fits the Krups XP4000 series and does have the same double walled single and double shot baskets that came with my 2nd hand Krups XP4030 - one of the first machines I ever used. The Manual shows this product is supported by Electra-Craft, and it looks like a cheaper clone of their Espressione Café Minuetto.

I became handy with that old Krups so making something decent with this machine wasn't too hard. Having the non-pressurized basket makes a difference, but the fresh beans and grinder matter far more than the machine in my experience. Throw some steamed milk on that shot and enjoy.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Jenn312

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 8:05am

Thanks I added the Espressione Cafe Minuetto to my next step list as well. I am not so patiently waiting for my beans and grinder so I can try my moka pot.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 8:29am

Cool...leave beans in bag with one way valve and put in cupboard. You can get into the whole freeze vs not freeze when you want.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 8:55am

It sounds like you found a good deal in an out of the way place that will be hard for most of us to find.  And might not be repeated.  Like the Oscars showing up at big lots for cheap.  I missed that deal.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 9:21am

Jenn312 Said:

Thanks I added the Espressione Cafe Minuetto to my next step list as well. I am not so patiently waiting for my beans and grinder so I can try my moka pot.

Posted January 29, 2013 link

I wouldn't give $149 for this machine - it isn't worth that kind of change. If you want to spend $149 then my pick would be something from the Gaggia line up. For $50 bucks more the $199 Gaggia Evolution is a much better built machine. This one is close inside to the Gaggia Coffee espresso machine. I have one of those and think that makes a good starter machine - it is a step up from the disposable units (my Crofton and that Espressione) in build quality and parts availability, not to mention it can make a very nice espresso shot too.

EricBNC: Gaggia shot cg.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
showing page 7 of 7 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What is the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.464205026627)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+